Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )

Greekaroos

would be great if they had dropped points but still the wales-ireland is the key game. 

also at the moment i find it more likely for scotland not to beat slovenia on the road than wales drawing ireland. i think we have more chances going onto that game. 

we'll have to see if croatia's group will be on the mix after this matchday too. 

• Like it 1

Biggest favorite to be last 2nd placed team in Las Vegas Betting is Slovakia ending up with 12 points. 

They have 0 to none expectation of Scotland winning in Slovenia.

Croatia somwhow drew Finland at home and so Ukraine gets in the game of finishing 2nd if they beat croatia in the upcomming Ukraine-Croatia matchday. Meanwhile Iceland play Kosovo at home so it looks like they ve secured 1st spot. Croatia currently in the 2nd teams ranking has 11 points which means that if they win next matchday they gather 14 and surpass us but if they don't and they draw they end up with 12 points and we re through. If Ukraine wins they end up 2nd with 14 points and surpass us.

So. If Scotland Lose Greece goes in the play offs

If Croatia draw greece goes to the playoffs

If Ireland wins wales narrowly by 1-2 goals Greece goes to the play offs

If Ireland Wales draw Greece go to the play off

3 Scenarios left in our favor. 

I give a 30% chance for Slovakia to be the last placed team.

15% to Croatia

40% to Ireland/Wales

15% to Greece/Bosnia

All this if Greece beats Cyprus tomorrow and Bosnia draw or lose to Belgium.

40% for Ireland Wales  because we re talking about 1 match in which 2 results (Diplo h X) get us through (i dont expect Ireland to win Wales 5-0 at Wales so their GD is favoring us. 2 out of 3 results in that match and we re through.

I give a 30% to slovakia as again, 2 results in the same match (Scotland drawing or losing away at Slovenia) gets us through since Slovakia will surpass them in points.

15% to Croatia because I believe they have the players to scrap a win over Ukraine. Even if that does not happen I believe Ukraine will step up and win them at home, so fewer chances for them to be last. Only one results gets us higher than them (the draw) and I believe Ukraine will open up to claim the win(they need the win to progress as 2nd) and they might concede on the counter. Not a match where you expect it to end as a draw.

15% to Greece/Bosnia. If it were Bosnia the 2nd Id give more chances. I expect them to have 12 points in the 2nd placed ranking with draw against Belgium and Win against Estonia but Greece goes up 2nd with a win over Cyprus. Greece with 13 points and a GD > +3 has sorta secured a play off spot.

Everything is played tomorrow. Our qualification is played tomorrow. Gibraltar at home is just a celebration friendly. Το κερασάκι στην τούρτα.

We can and we will make it.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Greece goes through(if we win and Bosnia drop points of course)

1)Scotland tie or lose to Slovenia(very possible)

2)Ukraine draw with Croatia(very possible)

3)Serbia lose to Georgia (doubtful)

4)wales vs Ireland draw or Ireland win

5)NIR lose to Norway

These our are only realistic paths so as long as we win and Bosnia drop points tomorrow then We need one of the above 2 things to happen..

Edited by J1078

Lets get a bit ahead of ourselves.

Switzerland - Italy definate seeded in play offs

Definate unseded teams seem to be: Greece, Denmark

The other 4 teams who will be in the middle are by biggest to lowest ranking

Wales>Croatia >Slovakia>Northrn Ireland>Sweden>Ukraine>Ireland

we want as many as of the weakest teams to go to the play offs so that more managable opponents end up against us.

A Switzerland - Italy - Northern Ireland - Slovakia , with Ukraine leaving Croatia out is ideal, as I believe the qualification with the 2 latter is managable. In this scenario Wales is either disqualified or left out from the 2nd best teams.

If Croatia ends up 2nd  with a win they f*ck us up as the seeded teams will be Swiss - Italy - Croatia.

The best scenario for us having easier opponents in the play off is if Croatia and Ukraine draw in their next matchday, as the seeded teams have some surprises. Slovakia being the one left out  means that Wales won Ireland and Croatia won Ukraine so the seeded will be Wales - Croatia - Italy - Switzerland. Worst case scenario here with Wales being the only managable yet the hardest of hte managable ones. 

^ I get what you are saying but I'd rather focus on getting In first and then worry about who play in the playoffs.. we showed what we can do against big teams the way we played against Belgium so let's just find a way to sneak in and hope everything falls into place then we will worry about the playoff match..

Edited by J1078
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, J1078 said:

^ I get what you are saying but I'd rather focus on getting In first and then worry about who play in the playoffs.. we showed what we can do against big teams the way we played against Belgium so let's just find a way to sneak in and hope everything falls into place then we will worry about the playoff match..

Yes I agree, let's JUST make the playoffs and then we will navigate from there. Croatia have a talented squad but I watched them today vs Finland and they looked as bad as we did vs Estonia. They were lucky to get there goal on a breakdown. Finland had a chance in stoppage time to win it.

Even Italy at home could only manage a draw with the Skops and they have looked like a mediocre side the last 3 matches. I like our chances with almost anyone except if France falls into play.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Okay today results are done and they will mean absoloutley nothing if we don't win and Bosnia don't drop points tomorrow... Do or die let's pray both results go our way.. (fingers crossed)

That’s right can’t wait for tomorrow’s games! Go Ellas!

• Like it 1

that's the most rumoured line up atm......

karnezis, tzavellas-sokratis-manolas-maniatis, tziolis-zeca, mantalos-fortounis-stafylidis, mitroglou

if he starts tziolis over samaris, maniatis as a back instead of stafylidis and mantalos instead of christodoulopoulos and we don't get the result which would bring us 2nd skibbe will be responsible of his actions.

Donis is now available to play if Skibbe decides to use him.. He got cleared yesterday. I'm also hearing that Tziolis  sill start and Manitais will start instead of Toro... If this is true I will be truly speechless....

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic