Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )

Greekaroos

49 minutes ago, trotsk13 said:

OK, obviously we need to beat Cyprus, we need Belgium to tie or beat Bosnia... From the other groups, what else do we need to happen, so that Greece isn't the last place 2nd place team, so I know what else to pull for?

This article breaks down everything for Greece.

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/how-greece-can-finish-2nd-and-qualify-for-the-playoffs

• Like it 1

20 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I personally liked the hire of Skibbe and in the beginning he had his tactics right and the team started of with 3 wins from 3 games and in the next game he got the late draw with Bosnia. He set the team up well in Belgium and were so close to a famous victory but since then he has disappointed especially the Estonia match where it looked like he was playing for a draw and after the game he seemed content with the draw?  If they win that match at home vs an inferior team then the playoff spot is virtually ours and we are not going through all these different scenarios. I believe he has to get us to the playoff at the very least to hold his job.

Absolutely, well put! 

I just don't see Belgium losing after they beat Bosnia 4-0 in the first tie. I feel like Bosnia's defence is not strong unlike ours. And like others have said previously these players are playing for a spot in the world cup squad. Belgium's B team will bring their A game. We have been unlucky in campaigns prior to euro2004 maybe our luck will turn for a change in world cup qualifying. We were always been the team which just misses out prior to 04.

• Like it 1

The only thing that worries me. If you think about if you are Belgium would your rather face Greece in a world cup or bosnia. being that we created the most trouble for them. I would say you would rather face bosnia in the world cup. This might be too far forward thinking however you never know. 

3 hours ago, Megas said:

I just don't see Belgium losing after they beat Bosnia 4-0 in the first tie. I feel like Bosnia's defence is not strong unlike ours. And like others have said previously these players are playing for a spot in the world cup squad. Belgium's B team will bring their A game. We have been unlucky in campaigns prior to euro2004 maybe our luck will turn for a change in world cup qualifying. We were always been the team which just misses out prior to 04.

comparing greece latest game with belgium is not a right approach. we had a defensive formation at 4-4-1-1 and 2 world class defenders. if we had gone there all out attack they would have slaughtered us. 

bosnia however will miss 3 out of 4 starters of their defence and pjanic with his replacement as a '10' also being out. they will have to go all out attack and that would mean they will concede a couple of goals rather easily. also they're not strong in the midfield and pjanic missing leaves a bigger gap there. 

and to those who say it's a must win game for bosnia and they will take it. games against greece at first place and cyprus were also must win games but they failed miserably. the only way i see bosnia reaching the playoffs is by greece failing to beat cyprus. and that won't happen.

ps. today we have the first qualifying games. we need scotland to beat slovakia and england to beat slovenia, as well as montenegro to draw denmark. that leaves other groups more open than ours and adds potential candidates for the worst second placed teams. 

• Like it 3

1 hour ago, Argy said:

Donis is out for both games; hurt in training. What a disaster. 

im reading he didn't got injured in ethniki's training but in stuttgart's one. 

is it official however? i thought we'd have to wait until saturday for medical report's results.

1 minute ago, Argy said:

Not sure about where he got hurt, but it looks certain that he is out. 

well yeah just read it..real shame about that. i expect something like that now

karenzis, torosidis, sokratis, manolas, tzavellas, samaris, zeca, fortounis, lazaros, stafylidis, mitroglou.

it's obvious we don't have a variety of offensive options but with karelis and donis out it gets watered down. 

do we know if any cypriot player will miss the game?

1 hour ago, nick said:

What are the results we are hoping for in the other groups

We need the following,

England to beat Slovania

Montenegro vs Denmark to draw 

Scotland to beat or Draw against Slovakia

Germany to beat Northern Irleand

These would be the best results for Greece. 

Edited by J1078

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

We need the following,

England to beat Slovania

Hopefully we get those results, Germany always want to win and comfortably as well so I see a 2 or 3 goal win vs North Ireland. Hopefully Norway can defeat them at home on the last match day.

Edited by Ellada2004
  • Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

We need the following,

England to beat Slovania

nothern ireland are already qualified hence it doesn't matter whether they win or lose. 

finally good news. scotland beat slovakia and england beat slovenia as we wanted to do. now if scotland doesn't beat slovenia away we're in always assuming we got the results we need from our group. we'll have to take a glimpse at this group too now.

btw yes nire can still go out. currently they're at +4 in goal difference and greece is in +3 (minus their games against san marino and ours against gibraltar.) well basically if they lose to norway then we'll be even on goals and (hopefully points too)in the worst case which they lose only with one goal difference. then even a 1-0 victory against cyprus is enough.

The only bad news today was Denmark beating Montenegro but over all great results and exactly what we needed from the Poland group. Lets hope tomorrow Georgia can somehow draw against Whales... Irelands game has NO relevancy tomorrow as they play the worst team in there group. So now Slovenia and Slovakia cannot reach 19 points so as long as Scotland doesn't win there final game on the road against Slovenia then this group looks very promising..

Edited by J1078

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic