Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )

Greekaroos

yeah but taking a look at the results we need to go our way there's nothing extraordinary there as it's been already mentioned. i always take for granted that belgium will not lose to bosnia and of course we'll beat both cyprus and gibraltar;

only 2 groups have a guaranteed participant in the playoffs, everyone else is still pretty much alive.

I've said this from the begnging the Cyprus game really worries me and I'm not so sure Belgium will beat Bosnia... I'm glad I get to watch the Belgium game first and i pray they win or at worst draw. I'm nervous as F*** against Cyprus and I see a draw happening..

Had Skibbe set the team up better vs Estonia and won the game the playoff would pretty much be locked up. Also a few moments like holding on at Belgium for a few more minutes for the win and Mandalos scoring a sitter at Bosnia and we would still be in the hunt for automatic qualification. I also like that Belgium play at 12 and we can watch it with out flipping back and forth. Let's hope they get a result and the NT will come out even more determined to win.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I've said this from the begnging the Cyprus game really worries me and I'm not so sure Belgium will beat Bosnia... I'm glad I get to watch the Belgium game first and i pray they win or at worst draw. I'm nervous as F*** against Cyprus and I see a draw happening..

what makes you think we'll draw cyprus if bosnia has not beaten belgium previously?

overall ok a bit better than i thought, obviously it's not possible to kick out the likes of tziolis. maniatis and tzavellas and replace them with charisis and mpakakis yet. probably after this campaign it is going to happen. karelis didn't make it, with him in instead of diamantakos i think the offensive line up would be decent for the moment. 

siovas is getting mislooked because of the depth in cb position. no vlachodimos yet. 

7 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

What happened, Pjanic will miss match vs Belgium? That's huge, if so Belgium will win by convincing fashion.

he will, another evidence of how difficult it's going to be for bosnia.

Edited by Boxou

I expect Mantalos to be benched for Lazaros. The Lineup I expect:

Karnezis as a GK.

Manolas Sokratis Torosidis Stafylidis as defenders. Tzavellas possibly starting coz Stafy has no playtime in Augs.

Zeca and Samaris in the MIdfield.

Mitroglou as a CF.

Lazaros Dwnis seem locks for me in offensive mids on the wings.

Fortou probably starting but MAantalos might as well sincd he s havin more playtime and had excellent games vs Rijeca Oly and Austria. 

I would say 9 out of 11 starters are a lock up. Stafy/Tzave and Fortou/Mantalos seem to be the issue.Personal hope is Stafylidis ovef Tzave since we need a decisive win and Stafy is a more offensive styled player. Mantalos over Fortou although I dont rate mantalos any close to Fortounis but Fortou is being benched too much lately. 

For the people that are saying that players like Tziolis, Tzavellas and Maniatis will leave the team after the this campaign are wrong, I don't see it happening. 

Why would they not be in the team if they are getting picked now. I think Skibbe relies on them. I can see why with Tzavellas but I can't see it  with the other two. Tziolis is a holding midfielder which Samaris plays. So I'm guessing Skibbe doesn't trust him. 

Also the reason for Zeca getting citizenship is because we ate lacking the number 8 and Maniatis is getting old. The other reason is that we are low on midfielders.

This match will be streamed in Sydney on Agona Sports for $7.55

You would think with Zeca, Samaris, Kourbelis and Arab, Micheal would Finally stop picking Tziol...not!

Edited by ausgreek

Papadopoulos would do a better job than Tziolis. I am relying on Donis and Lazaros to rescue us. Mitroglou will be playing which is good. Tachtsidis needs to play. Stafylidis with long shots needs to play. I reckon if Fortounis wants to he can destroy any team. Gianniotas can score goals. Zeca and Samaris will most likely start.

I was reading an article on how determined the Cyprus team is to come out and get the win as they still believe they have an outside chance at 2nd and making the playoffs even though they play Belgium in there final match. All of those thoughts of them gifting us this match is BS there is no way they will do that. Cyprus would rather get the tie and no one goes in then them losing to us and worsening there fifa rankings. It will be a tough game.

Edited by J1078

so you do believe that greece is not able to win this game regardless of cyprus' status...i watched their game against estonia, if that side can be called motivated/determined for the second spot then ffs..

btw even if they beat belgium and greece they will also need bosnia not to win in estonia and greece to lose to gibraltar..how likely is this, in order for someone to think they can get the second spot. and EVEN if in this scenario where they finish second, they will be the worst 2nd placed team without a single doubt.......

Edited by Boxou

On 28/9/2017 at 7:35 PM, Ellada2004 said:

Had Skibbe set the team up better vs Estonia and won the game the playoff would pretty much be locked up. Also a few moments like holding on at Belgium for a few more minutes for the win and Mandalos scoring a sitter at Bosnia and we would still be in the hunt for automatic qualification. I also like that Belgium play at 12 and we can watch it with out flipping back and forth. Let's hope they get a result and the NT will come out even more determined to win.

Had Sokratis kept the 0-1 in Belgium we could be already qualified now.

Had Sokratis jumped on time in Athens against Belgium game would be 1-1 and we would be  definately 2nd spot now.

Had Mantalos not missed that tet-a-tet at 83' vs Begovic in Bosnia we would be 1st-2nd spot right now.

Lots of ifs and buts my friend.

Do u remember how we qualified for WC 2014? Euro 2012? How the teams we were playingwere dominating us and they were somehow losing(Go watch that Slovakia away match).

Bad results happen. That's why the qualifiers exist. And to be fair, in 8 matches so far we ve only had one bad result. A loss 1-2 to Belgium is a good result for any 3rd pot team. appearancewise we were supposed to get the draw. Didn't happen. The qualification was not decided in that match. The player mistakes I posted were also bad decisions who brought to this situation. If one  bad match decides who goes in and who goes out I am not gonna be sad that our team didnt' make it. Honeslty. The mess we were into has decreased to the minimum and most part of it is because of Skibbe. 4-5 of his call ups make no sense. Agreed. But im pretty sure every fan has a problem with their NT's pick ups. Go to the Bosnian forums. You ll be laughing. 

Cyprus will play for the win and you know what we re good at doing. Finishing bad defenses who open up. We ll have the upper hand if they play for the win, due to talent. What worries me is if we dont win by 2 or 3 goals so that we might be kicked from the 2nd teams Ranking.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic