Phantis Forums

SL–R2: PAOK - AOK Kerkyra (27 Aug 17, 19:15 EEST)

Blackhawk

This is exactly the kind of game where we should be playing the younger guys. Poungouras came on for Leveque, btw, with Crespo moving to LB. I still think Crespo as a fullback is an awful idea.

Perhaps most worryingly, the team looked gassed well before the first half was over. Fitness is a big problem here. I also got the impression that until the first goal, they were playing very disinterestedly - really no better than in the game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned. It's only because Kerkyra is of such a low standard that we were able to get this win. A team like Xanthi or Panionios would have broken us in half.

1 hour ago, pash said:

Perhaps most worryingly, the team looked gassed well before the first half was over. Fitness is a big problem here. I also got the impression that until the first goal, they were playing very disinterestedly - really no better than in the game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned. It's only because Kerkyra is of such a low standard that we were able to get this win. A team like Xanthi or Panionios would have broken us in half.

Thanks bro xxx ooo ;)

I hope Lucescu can get the fitness issue sorted out asap.  He has 2 weeks, which sounds like it's not enough, but it's a start and gives him some time to at least get cracking on it.

I find it incredulous that for a squad of professionals that is paid quite well, that such a situation was allowed to develop.  I mean, it's not their fault, they just follow what the manager says, but it's football 101 to have your players fit.  Talent you can't really teach.  Tactics and decision making you can teach depending on the player.  But fitness, that's easy.  It's unforgivable to not have your players fit for the beginning of the season, doubly, no triply so, when you know you have life and death EL qualifiers.

As for Lucescu, we will see what he is made of this season.  I'm not sold on him in the way same way I wasn't sold on Ivic last season.  Both were/are unknown quantities.  We know what he achieved with Xanthi but their goals and the pressure is different for Xanthi and different for us.  It's one thing when your goal is to be "hard to beat" and another when you are trying to play positively.