Phantis Forums

PAO in Europe 2017-18

I watched the game and read all comments and analysis from the Greek media/radio.

On the actual game, things are simple:

The first 2 goals originated, IMO,  from 2 very difficult to defend crosses. They where at the perfect place (not to close to the goalie) and from an angle that make it easier to the offensive player the moves forward than the defender that goes the other way.

The real issue is that (as an analyst said); PAO allowed space and time to the Spanish players to make the crosses from right-side and just outside to the box. This is where quality makes a difference; a quality player would make the perfect cross.

Now many said that in the first goal, our goalie, Vlahodimos, should have come out and get the cross. Well this is the issue for every Greek goalkeeper (may be except Anestis?). Vlahodimos is a serviceable goalie, good reflexes and does not make silly mistakes;. However, he never comes out of the box (like Tsorvas & Karnezis). So, this is too match to expect.

One may expect that the CB's would get the headesr, but given the cross and the quality of the Bilbao striker, it also may be too much to expect.

Now the third goal, is direct result of the Xatzigiovannis wrongly back pass and the quality of the Wiiliams. Here Moledo failed to stop him and he won a penalty (not sure if it was a real penalty, but I am the only on to see it this way;).

BTW and I am in the minority here, Modelo while is superb in superleage (where talent is low and there are many crosses ), he is not very agile to make the difference is the European games. Even last year I believe he did not play that great. At the very least me must be paired with a different player than Koutroubis.

Zeka and Loud were great. Bilbao coach said that  Zeka was fantastic. Loud on the other hand is quietly becoming a very good payer. While not great, he is solid across the board (can also play LB) with the big plus that he can drible into the box and most importantly finish. The moves he made in the goal (control, move into the box and corner strike) not many strikers in super league can do (especially if you count how fast he made them).