Phantis Forums

2017-2018 Superleague Season

Blackhawk

The draw for the Superleague is taking place tomorrow. Let's not forget that the first 7 home game will be without fans. Of course we will play all our derbies in that time frame.

Superleague also will also vote on the league restructuring (14 or 16 teams), change in play-off format and the legal issues with NOVA.

PAOK schedule for the 2017-2018 season:

Round 1:  Levadeiakos – PAOK
Round 2:  PAOK – AOK kerkyra  (NO FANS)
Round 3:  Apollon Smyrnis - PAOK
Round 4:  PAOK – Panaitolikos (NO FANS)
Round 5:  PAOK – PAS Giannina (NO FANS)
Round 6:  AE Larisa - PAOK
Round 7:  PAOK – PAS Lamia  (NO FANS)
Round 8:  Olympiakos  - PAOK
Round 9:  PAOK – Asteras Tripolis  (NO FANS)
Round 10:  AEK - PAOK
Round 11:  PAOK – Atromitos  (NO FANS)
Round 12:  Panionios - PAOK
Round 13:  AO Xanthi - PAOK
Round 14:  PAOK - Panathinaikos
Round 15:  Platanias Chania - PAOK

So we avoid the bigger teams for our fan-less games? Wow.

-edit- Wait, isn't that just six games you listed? So we will have no fans vs Panathinaikos?

Edited by pash

57 minutes ago, Dutch Eagle said:

There will be one cup game somewhere in the middle that makes it 7.

But how did they fixed this? Hot balls? Balls with ridges? Hahaha

Probably the same way Olympiakos got rid of all their penalties from the Platanias match.

So, according to reports, it seems the big 4 (Oly, PAO, AEK and PAOK) have agreed to eliminate the play-offs altogether.  Not sure what that means for this season, if it has to go to a league wide vote or what....but that's a step in the right direction.  Eliminating 2 teams from the SL is step 2 to getting the league on track.

Edited by BostonThanatos

We just got lucky with the draw. I really doubt the other big 3 would let PAOK manipulate the draw.

Good idea to scrap the playoffs, but I have a feeling that it's only a preemptive move to force NOVA to the negotiating table concerning the TV revenue. The league will have to vote on this and all the small teams will bend over to accommodate NOVA, since their existence depends on the TV revenue. it will be a step in the right direction to cancel the playoffs.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Start of the season is up in the air. During today's SL meeting:

- no TV contact with NOVA has been finalized
- no decision on how many teams will be relegated has been reached
- no decision if playoffs will be played has been agreed on

Basically it looks very likely that the season will not start on August 19 as scheduled. Like we did not expect that.

If we have a delay that ends with a decision on no play offs, we'll still end up with a longer summer break than before. Fingers crossed.

I'm surprised that this is even up for debate, though - were the playoffs always just pushed by the networks? I thought the league was in line on this as well...and that just the players/fans didn't like them.

The playoffs were dictated by NOVA that wanted to televise more games. However NOVA now wants to cut the already agreed TV contract by 18%, even though there is contract in place. The big 4 countered with the elimination of the playoffs if that was the case. The problem is that for playoff elimination and team reduction must be passed with 12 SL teams to to vote for it. The small teams seeing that 4 teams will be relegated are not agreeing. Not only that they say that if NOVA cuts the revenue by 18%, they want the big 4 to replace the cuts from their own pockets. In other words the small teams don't want cuts to their revenue and also team reductions.  

The playoffs existed before NOVA became the broadcaster though, didn't they?

Let's face it, some of the big teams own the little teams in all but name. May as well make it official and have the money distributed transparently.

Friday's Superleague meeting failed to resolve any outstanding issues concerning the start of the season as well as TV revenue. They set another meeting on Thursday saying that final decisions will be taken at that time. Why don't I believe a single word they say. I think it's pretty safe to say that Superleague will not start on August 19 as scheduled.

With such pitiful amounts being offered by NOVA you'd think the bigger teams could get to together and make their own channel/service.  It's not like they couldn't afford it financially.  Food for thought ...

NOVA without Superleague is almost certainly going bankrupt. They lost all the TV rights to any meaningful leagues out there to COSMOTE. NOVA is basically telling SL to cut the existing agreement (good until 2019) by 18%. Not only that they dictate on how they want the league to be run. If SL owners had any balls they would tell NOVA to take a hike. The problem is that the 12 "small" teams will not make it without any TV revenue.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:34 AM, jvc said:

In my opinion,  the only system that will work is going to a 10 team league. Each team will play each other 4 times, totalling 36 games.  This format will insure every week has derby matches. You need to create a interest in order to see revenues rise.  If they stay with the current set up,  we will never see our terms in the CL again....and Olympiakos will struggle to keep their advantage of getting in there also.

I don't believe Olympiacos are as concerned as what you make out.  Sure the days of automatic qualification are gone, but realistically given their budget and the opposition they'll be playing against, they'll still qualify most years.  Being in the "strong" group of teams make a massive difference.

Latest negotiations failed again. However the league said they will start games as scheduled. During the season it will be decided if there will be playoffs and in what format. It remains to be seen if NOVA will take legal actions. 

• 2 weeks later...

As usual at the last minute a deal was reached between Superleague and NOVA concerning television rights and revenue. The results of the deal are:

- NO MORE PLAYOFFS

- The TV deal is for 30 million per season and is good for 2 seasons. There is a clause where NOVA can't demand a cut during those two seasons. PAOK is not part of this deal. Instead we signed a 1 year deal with NOVA separately from the collective agreement.

- The 12 "small" teams will receive extra money from the "Savvidis" league sponsorship 

On 8/20/2017 at 9:32 AM, Athens4 said:

Is the no more play offs clause just for this season or going forward?

Can someone please get back to me on this one?

Now that we have managed to lose to a small Swedish village the only way we can save this year is by selling off a few players like Leovac, Cimirot etc (if other clubs are still interested that is) and attempting to buy a few players who have quality. We need now more than ever to promote some young, Greek players in the squad. Vieirinha is starting to p!$$ a lot of people off, it's now or never man. This is now an opportunity to make a solid team where players can finally gel. How is it possible that Zagorakis and Vryzas made a team out of nothing, however the current management need three weeks for El Khaddouri to make a 2 hour flight from Italy?

Unfortunately with it's a catch 22 with the management. Indeed Savvidis came in and paid off our debt but there is no improvement on the field. He will say that without him PAOK would still be in debt. I get that it's all a business but why not buy a few decent players too?

From what I understand it's done for good, but this is Greece going into the opening matchday we didn't know if playoffs were on or off. So you honestly can't know what the superleague committee and nova (who has a lot of power) will decide for beyond this season

Edited by paokarag4