Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Greece vs Belgium (3 September 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

jarvis1981    8

2-1 Belgium

All three goals were good plays.

Shot by Belgium .

Great cross and boot in by Zeca

Another great cross - by Belgium and header finish

Greece have been playing well. If this Belgium teams play against Bosnia then they will win on the road and Greece will still get 2nd place.

This game is not over yet.

Still over 10 minutes to go. Would be great to get this one tied.

Like the way the team is playing against a highly ranked team.

jarvis1981    8

But Belgium would only need a tie to help Greece out and I don't think their coach wants to lose that game.

They might sit out a few of their top guys but they still would have a decent team and those guys will want to prove themselves.

Belgium looking for a 3rd goal and have the pressure on. Greece need to take some chances, More goals against mean nothing here.

Greekoz    119

Its out of our hands now and we only have ourselves to blame from the previous result. Belgium have nothing to play for now and bosnia are more then capable at home. Not sure why anyone would be so sure that result will go in our favour.

nick    16

Estonia game will keep us out of the World Cup along with skibbe's tactics and player selection. Vellios,tziolis, and bakasetas have no business wearing that jersey. 

Athens4    34

Vellios and Tziolis should not be called up again after this qualifying campaign, the latter being slower than death itself.

We played well today and didn't deserve to lose. Some players need to take a hard look at Zeca. He isn't even Greek yet he plays with more heart than them. I really wish there was a replacement/competition for Fortounis as well. He isn't good enough to start.

Skibbe is still to blame for Thursday's mess. Then again I don't think the agents putting pressure on him to play their players are doing him any favours either.

Boxou    27
9 minutes ago, nick said:

Estonia game will keep us out of the World Cup along with skibbe's tactics and player selection. Vellios,tziolis, and bakasetas have no business wearing that jersey. 

calm down, how likely you think it is for bosnia to beat belgium at home without fans? even a draw is still in favour of us. what we have to do is just to beat cyprus and gibraltar. 

J1078    301

The Estonia game will completely keep us out of the World Cup playoffs.. no question... 1 point out of a possible 6 is not the result that Keeps you in the World Cup running.. I fully expect a hungry Bosnia team to beat a Belgium team that has absolutely nothing to play for... I personaly don't think we will beat Cyprus on the road but regardless Bosnia are now favourites for the 2nd spot and I truly think they will take advantage and secure that second spot.. I see Bosnia taking there final 2 games.

J1078    301

That's the other problem even if we somehow take 2nd it's looking now like we may be the worst 2nd place team and not go through anyways.

Athens4    34

There are three crucial moments that I can think of which may have cost us a place in Russia next year (though like all of us I hope this won't be the case).

1) Lukaku's goal against us in the dying minutes of the game in Belgium, easy to say but we really should have held on

2) Mantalos (who shouldn't even be wearing a NT shirt in the first place - refer to my earlier comment about agents) missed chance 1 on 1 against Bosnia away

3) The embarrassment on Thursday against Estonia

Dean97    154

We played well today. Unfortunately Tziolis played. Donis played well and worked hard. He was exhausted after the 70th. Fortounis is good I don't understand why he should sit out he is the best attacking midfielder we have. Also Stafylidis should be considered as a left winger.

Ellada2004    21
17 minutes ago, nick said:

100% AGREE 

Tziolis has no business being called up let alone playing 

Boxou    27
2 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The Estonia game will completely keep us out of the World Cup playoffs.. no question... 1 point out of a possible 6 is not the result that Keeps you in the World Cup running.. I fully expect a hungry Bosnia team to beat a Belgium team that has absolutely nothing to play for... I personaly don't think we will beat Cyprus on the road but regardless Bosnia are now favourites for the 2nd spot and I truly think they will take advantage and secure that second spot.. I see Bosnia taking there final 2 games.

bosnian defence is horrendous, they can't keep belgium at zero even if they field their b side. they'll have to go all out attack and that's a good sign considering belgium will have many chances to score. like i said even a draw would work for us.

what we have to do is to beat cyprus which is possible after their loss today and gibraltar. don't underestimate estonia, they're hosting bosnia it tallinn in the last matchgame. 

Dean97    154
2 minutes ago, Athens4 said:

There are three crucial moments that I can think of which may have cost us a place in Russia next year (though like all of us I hope this won't be the case).

1) Lukaku's goal against us in the dying minutes of the game in Belgium, easy to say but we really should have held on

2) Mantalos (who shouldn't even be wearing a NT shirt in the first place - refer to my earlier comment about agents) missed chance 1 on 1 against Bosnia away

3) The embarrassment on Thursday against Estonia

I agree 100%. Though I do think Mantalos should be in the team but not starting. It looks like Donis will take his position.

Boxou    27
4 minutes ago, J1078 said:

That's the other problem even if we somehow take 2nd it's looking now like we may be the worst 2nd place team and not go through anyways.

looking how the things are right now in other groups, i see at least 3-4 of them with higher chances than us to end up as a worse second placed team. 

Dean97    154
1 minute ago, Boxou said:

bosnian defence is horrendous, they can't keep belgium at zero even if they field their b side. they'll have to go all out attack and that's a good sign considering belgium will have many chances to score. like i said even a draw would work for us.

what we have to do is to beat cyprus which is possible after their loss today and gibraltar. don't underestimate estonia, they're hosting bosnia it tallinn in the last matchgame. 

Yeah but we could end up worst 2nd place

Athens4    34
6 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Dude there are still two games and there are various teams with 11-16 points in second place. All it take is a win and a loss to change that.

Boxou    27
Just now, Dean97 said:

Yeah but we could end up worst 2nd place

i just said that our fixtures are too easy compared to some other groups. if we get to 19 points by winning the next 2, i think one of group c, d, e, f and i will provide the worse runner up. look at their 2nd placed teams' schedule and you will come to the same conclusion

Athens4    34

Guys, I am thinking about our strikers. Aside from Mitroglou, who else have we got so that we don't have to call up Vellios? I hope nobody is thinking of Athanasiadis either.

J1078    301

I guess all we can do now is go out and win both games and see what happens as it's out of our own hands now.  Bosnia is thinking the same thing. Bosnia also beat Estonia 5-0 last time they played them.

Boxou    27
6 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I guess all we can do now is go out and win both games and see what happens as it's out of our own hands now.  Bosnia is thinking the same thing. Bosnia also beat Estonia 5-0 last time they played them.

estonia are drastically improved so thinking a win against them is guaranteed is wrong, they just proved at to us. especially when we're talking about an away game. 

athens4 aside from mitroglou there's karelis.