Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Greece vs Belgium (3 September 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

11 hours ago, J1078 said:

Guys every group does have 6 teams this format was implemented I think because the odd number of teams but every group does have the same number of teams.. This is so confusing.. what's the purpose of deducting the points and goals if every group has the same number of teams. Are we still sure we are correct by the deducting of points?

In the beginning of the draw Gibraltar and Kosovo werent recognized by fifa so the put them afterwards in the qualification. SO two groups (H and I) had 5 teams. With the addition of them teams in the Group all Groups have 6 teams.

Apart from this fact I have also heard that the Group 6 teams are unbalanced. It's a different thing playing a team that has professional footballers (like Georgia Kazakhstan heck even Kosovo and Malta) and another thing to play Gibraltar, Liechtenstein and Andora). I am not sure if this is an official criteria for "why is it this way" or just a reasonable yet unofficial statement. We will probably find out in the next world cup qualifiers when all Groups will have equal teams.

It is not confusing. It existed and in 2014 and in 2010 where we qualified in both tourneys as 2nd but we were in a too good of a position to bother if we might take the play off spot or not. 

J1078    301

Just so there is no confusion the last place results don't count when it comes to finishing 2nd. I just found this below even though every group has 6 teams.

Ranking of second-placed teams[edit]

At the time of the draw, groups H and I had one team fewer than the other groups so it was announced that matches against the last-placed team in each of the six-team groups would not be included in the ranking of the second-placed teams. UEFA has confirmed that, even after the admission of Kosovo and Gibraltar and with all groups now containing six teams, this regulation has not changed and matches against the sixth-placed team in all groups will still be discarded.[25] As a result, only eight matches played by each team will be counted in the second-placed table.

The eight best runners-up are determined by the following parameters, in this order:[26]

1. Highest number of points
  2. Goal difference
  3. Highest number of goals scored
  4. Highest number of goals scored away from home
  5. Fair play points

Molon Lave    147

I think the odds of Greece going to the playoffs is very slim, even if they beat Cyprus and Bosnia held to Belgium. 

11 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

I think the odds of Greece going to the playoffs is very slim, even if they beat Cyprus and Bosnia held to Belgium. 

The odds are equal to Sweden/Netherlands and Ireland. Ireland is in deeper shitte if thye finish 2nd tho.

Ellada2004    21

I can't believe we are in this situation where even if we scrape into 2nd in our group it still may not be enough to go to the playoffs. How could we not come away with a win vs Estonia, we see these minnows sometimes manage to get results as Luxembourg did vs France, but at least France generated chance after chance. Greece had what 2 shots on target and the best chance was Manolas header in the box of a free kick. What did our forwards and attacking midfielders do? It was a listless performance in the most vital game, a win vs Estonia would have us in playoff spot regardless of what happened vs Belgium. 

Boxou    27

we don't need to go into details on what happened to previous games, a lot of ifs there. (if kapino had saved lukaku's 90min goal, if mantalos had scored in the fast break against bosnia, if we had beaten estonia etc etc) the point is that there are 3 groups at the moment which can easily miss the playoffs with REASONABLE results. no need to be desperate and hopeless since the other groups should worry more about that. for example we have just to beat cyrpus and gibraltar while bosnia to drop points to one of belgium and estonia..ireland-wales are playing each other in that group, so do netherlands against sweden and scotland against slovakia and slovenia. all are direct competitors for the 2nd place and could easily missed as it's been pointed out..

4 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I can't believe we are in this situation where even if we scrape into 2nd in our group it still may not be enough to go to the playoffs. How could we not come away with a win vs Estonia, we see these minnows sometimes manage to get results as Luxembourg did vs France, but at least France generated chance after chance. Greece had what 2 shots on target and the best chance was Manolas header in the box of a free kick. What did our forwards and attacking midfielders do? It was a listless performance in the most vital game, a win vs Estonia would have us in playoff spot regardless of what happened vs Belgium. 

why didnt u post this when Bosnia generated chance after chance against us in Athens, but yet they failed to win us? You only see this based on what suits you. We lost 2 points vs Estonia when Bosnia lost 3 to Cyprus. We could have lost 1 point vs Bosnia and having this campaign ended from matchday 6.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Ellada2004    21
4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

why didnt u post this when Bosnia generated chance after chance against us in Athens, but yet they failed to win us? You only see this based on what suits you. We lost 2 points vs Estonia when Bosnia lost 3 to Cyprus. We could have lost 1 point vs Bosnia and having this campaign ended from matchday 6.

No we did get fortunate to get a late draw in that game for sure. Things have started to go against us in Belgium when Lukaku scored in the 89 th minute. Then in Bosnia, Mandalos misses a sitter for a sure victory. At home vs Belgium the team deserved at least a draw, the only stinker as I said came last Thursday vs Estonia. Greece should be sitting in 2nd spot with 18 points.

georgelaz    381

finally got to watch the game. we deserved to get at least a point imo.

our best players = staf, donis, zeca, manolas

our worst = tziolis, samaris

I think our CM/CDM combo should be kpaps and tachtsidis going forward.

ausgreek    205

Jose's goal and great form in both matches should allow him to start next match Lazo.

Samaris does Not have a mortgage on a Greece jumper either, I agree about him. Taxi should be in CM

Edited by ausgreek

Ellada2004    21
18 hours ago, georgelaz said:

finally got to watch the game. we deserved to get at least a point imo.

our best players = staf, donis, zeca, manolas

our worst = tziolis, samaris

I think our CM/CDM combo should be kpaps and tachtsidis going forward.

We definitely deserved a point here. Belgium's first goal no one closed in on Vertonghen, the 2nd goal was a great cross and a beautiful header by Lukaku though Sokratis could have marked him closer. 

I watched the Estonia game and it was just awful and was disappointed to hear Skibbe interviewed after on the field saying how he was happy with a point?

• Like it 1

georgelaz    381

it was Samaris's job to close down Vertonghen.

the Belgians recognized that our defense was hard to crack so they were taking outside box shots with their cb's as a coping strategy and our s%$#! cdm duo was exposed.

Ellada2004    21

Ya Samaris did not run up to close him down. Key moment was when Stafs shot was saved by Courtois and then hit the bar. Had that gone in and they get to HT up I believe they win the game.

• Like it 1

ausgreek    205

Hmm, I noticed I don't get lovehearts..not in the loveheart club..going to colour my hair like Messi does, so there!

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2