Phantis Forums

Greece vs Estonia (31 August 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

This team always names their captain based on caps. Out of the available players vs Estonia:

Tziolis 64

Maniatis 47

Karnezis 42

Manolas 29

Samaris 28

Fortounis 26

Papadopoulos 25

Seeing that Tziolis and Maniatis will likely start on the bench, Karnezis will wear the arm-band. 

Edited by Argy

What happened to Toro? What kind of injury? Lots of injuries and Sokratis out with his suspension does not help. Let's hope they get the win, it could be a squeaker and get everyone back for the showdown with Belgium.

This could be the line up against Estonia:

Karnezis

Stafylidis.  Retsos.  Manolas.  Tzavellas

Bouchalakis Samaris

Gianniotas.    Bakasetas.  Lykogiannis

Diamantakos

Subs: Mantalos, Fortounis, Papadopoulos

This gives Bouchalakis senior experience. Bakasetas and Diamantakos showing if their worth to be in the team. Lykogiannis can play LW and defend with Tzavellas on the left flank. Donis and Zeca might play in this match and also Tachtsidis. The match against Belgium is 3 days later!

I agree with Red Sheriff.... if we play that line up we will lose to Estonia... Thursday game versus Estonia is a MUST WIN anything less then a win and we can kiss our chances good bye... We need to play our best line up we have a available to us and only if we are winning then we can rest some players.. what's the point in looking ahead to the Belgium game if you blow this one.. We need to take Estonia very serious as they did out play us and had chance after chance the last time we met.. These call ups and potential line ups make me very nervous for this match..

I would have no fear vs Estonia if Mitro, Samaris and Taxi were fit..

we risk playing players who are not fit or not match fit...

I would go with......

...................Karnezis........................

Retsos.......K.Pap.....Manolas.......Stafyllidis

.......................Zeca............Bouchalakis...........

Giannotas.................Fortounis..........Mandalos

.................................Donis...............................

Giannotas is not match fit...but we have no other options...

Edited by RED SHERIFF

13 hours ago, Dean97 said:

This could be the line up against Estonia:

Karnezis

Stafylidis.  Retsos.  Manolas.  Tzavellas

Bouchalakis Samaris

Gianniotas.    Bakasetas.  Lykogiannis

Diamantakos

Subs: Mantalos, Fortounis, Papadopoulos

This gives Bouchalakis senior experience. Bakasetas and Diamantakos showing if their worth to be in the team. Lykogiannis can play LW and defend with Tzavellas on the left flank. Donis and Zeca might play in this match and also Tachtsidis. The match against Belgium is 3 days later!

Is thus just off the top of your head?

On 29/8/2017 at 4:49 AM, Dean97 said:

Not only that Argy they are very good at passing. Better than Maniatis, Tziolis and Katsouranis. There passes are very crisp and strong. What I mean is that the ball travels to their teammates with a fast pace. Also Tachtsidis vision is very good and is needed in this midfield.

better than Katsouranis ? Really man? Dont let the fact that he didn't quit hte NT after his 33 years (obviously degraded) hunt the rest of his career. Him degrading and quitting alongside Karagounis is the reason this NT went to hell. We had two solid midfielders for over 10 years, and noone seemed close to reach their level from our current midfielders. Honestly. Even the teams each of them played proves this. And people were crying for new blood in the midfield, and now that we got it , we lost a Euro (where finishing 3rd/6 gave u a possible qualification, and we re crying for a possible play-off spot against France and Switzerland in a WC qualification.

Thing is that the current midfields might be the best we got but all 3 of Zeca ,Samaris , Tachtsidis are not in par with a good striker like Mitroglou and the awesome defense we have. Even if they have some good attributes and somehow Skibbe takes the best from them. We really have to hope Retsos-Siopis-Androutsos develop to be the players we hope they become, otherwise no matter how many good Centerbacks, how good stafylidis fortounis and Mitroglou Donis are, we ll be facing teams with a couple of decent midfielders and the rest of them being nothing but a plank in the field, and we ll struggle.

According to gazzetta.gr the δίτερμα the NT played centerforwards in the two teams were Vellios and Diamantakos. I cant believe that Donis did not play at all so we can be 100 maybe 100,1% sure that he will be used as a Winger.

Offence seems like

Vellios

Donis - Fortounis - Mantalos

Dont wanna sound optimistic but this team should be enough to beat Estonia.

We should always play our best players but if our Offence is literally focused in just Mitroglou - we are not gonna go far.

I would actually love Vellios to get the chance and prove us wrong. Even if he doesnt I honestly can't do anything else but state that it;'s just Estonia.

Vellios has heard so much from people in Greece because noone follows Championship. They think just causeh e aint in the team sheet he is not good enough to have a spot there or even start.

Two facts that I mentioned like 4-5 times in these forums:

He was doing fantastic with Iraklis. A  relegation side. You people understand that this is Mantalos' first season in Europe as well right? People call him one of our best but honestly he hasn't had a different competition than Vellios had when he was in Iraklis. And the fact that Everton and Nott came for Vellios and not Mantalos could actually say something.

He was their best Striker in the preseason. And they are struggling without him. It's impossible that the manager wouldn't do a few changes after the recent result. Their top goal scorer is Bouchalakis a fckin 8, with 2 goals. Don't you think that there would be changes and an addition of their best striker in preseason, at least when things went rough? They are aiming for play-off spot. It's not like they re fine with staying in Championship. The fact that he has been left out from every match is rather odd. I have to be 100% sure that it has nothing to do with his performances but with a ransfer to Olympiakos maybe?, if noone else comes.

Whats funnier is that if such a transfer does happen. You ll post comments about how he was a flop in England and "returned to Greece" at his typical level.

Give him a chance against Estonia jesus. And if he f*cks up (boldly personal f*ck up and not just a bad result) then I can agree with you.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

the 3 behind vellios will create chances, its whether he'll be able to finish them. He'll be up against Klavan the Liverpool centre back who has had over 4 seasons in the Bundesliga, plus played 20 odd league games for the reds last season. No easy opponent for someone who isn't making the bench in the championship (perhaps unfairly, i must say) 

I think that Estonia will definitely come to play. Skibbe has to prepare the players that are available to battle hard, and pay attention to detail. It seems the consensus that that we do not have 3,4,5 ACE superstars like a select few National teams in Europe do. However, there are plenty of opportunities for the fresh faces to show us what they have. My hope is that the Ethniki will come to play at home, and that our collective questions are answered with play that reflects a team that is in the hunt for the path to Russia. 

Estonia is not to be taken lightly, let's put past "soft" performances (namely the dreaded Ranieri campaign which is on the players as much as the coach) and battle fiercely.

As for Belgium....as others have said, let's put first things first. Should Greece play hard with heart, and follow the game plan Skibbe we should be alright.

We can play arm chair managers/coaches for the Belgium match once Estonia is completed. I have confidence that Greece after our disastrous last campaign is looking up.

17 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

better than Katsouranis ? Really man? Dont let the fact that he didn't quit hte NT after his 33 years (obviously degraded) hunt the rest of his career. Him degrading and quitting alongside Karagounis is the reason this NT went to hell. We had two solid midfielders for over 10 years, and noone seemed close to reach their level from our current midfielders. Honestly. Even the teams each of them played proves this. And people were crying for new blood in the midfield, and now that we got it , we lost a Euro (where finishing 3rd/6 gave u a possible qualification, and we re crying for a possible play-off spot against France and Switzerland in a WC qualification.

Thing is that the current midfields might be the best we got but all 3 of Zeca ,Samaris , Tachtsidis are not in par with a good striker like Mitroglou and the awesome defense we have. Even if they have some good attributes and somehow Skibbe takes the best from them. We really have to hope Retsos-Siopis-Androutsos develop to be the players we hope they become, otherwise no matter how many good Centerbacks, how good stafylidis fortounis and Mitroglou Donis are, we ll be facing teams with a couple of decent midfielders and the rest of them being nothing but a plank in the field, and we ll struggle.

I would of played Samaris or Tachtsidis in the world cup instead of Katsouranis. Everyone would agree on that. Karagounis was a big loss, Katsouranis wasn't. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. We were all hoping that Katsouranis wouldn't play against Costa Rica. Yes he was good up and till 2008. Then he started being what Tziolis is now. We had a good team in Euro 2016 qualifiers it just nothing was working and we weren't playing as a team. Now it is a different story.  

Edited by Dean97

20 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

I would have no fear vs Estonia if Mitro, Samaris and Taxi were fit..

we risk playing players who are not fit or not match fit...

I would go with......

...................Karnezis........................

Retsos.......K.Pap.....Manolas.......Stafyllidis

.......................Zeca............Bouchalakis...........

Giannotas.................Fortounis..........Mandalos

.................................Donis...............................

Giannotas is not match fit...but we have no other options...

Samaris will start. Donis will be on the wing and Vellios will start.

Στο 4-2-3-1 του, ο Καρνέζης θα είναι στο τέρμα κι οι Σταφυλίδης, Τζαβέλλας, Μανωλάς και Κ. Παπαδόπουλος αναμένεται να βρεθούν στην τετράδα της άμυνας.

Ζέκα και Σάμαρης θα είναι τα δύο κεντρικά χαφ με τον Φορτούνη να κινείται μπροστά τους.

Στα άκρα θα δούμε τον Μάνταλο και τον Δώνη ή τον Μπακασέτα, ενώ στην κορυφή θα βρεθεί ο Βέλλιος.

This was posted in Gazzetta. Seems like the only position not sure yet is the one of Left Attacking mid. Please no Bakasetas.

These type of games scare the s%$#! out me... Estonia has no pressure as they know they are the underdogs, they can play loose and take chances, Greece has all the pressure and the longer the game goes and is scoreless Greece will star playing nervous and start forcing plays and that's when we are most vulnerable to a counter. Greece need an early goal to ease the fear of not getting the win. This is a truly tricky game Estonia have nothing to lose but Greece have everything to lose if they don't get 3 points.

We need to get a goal within the first 15 minutes and hopefully get another by HT, or else things will become tense for the players and our fans. I agree Estonia will play loose. Last game they generated a few good opportunities and caused or back line some confusion. The team needs to be 100% focused for THIS match from kickoff as 3 points are a must.

Tziolis over Samaris and Tachtsidis is a damn joke! Perhaps he's resting them and I think Sam is on a yellow, but one of them should be in there for sure. We have to field our best especially considering we are missing key players. 

Tziolis will be our captain and I'm a little ashamed of seeing him wear the band at this stage with so many better options in the XI. I do expect a good game from him though. 

Stafylidis has to be in there over Tzavella or at least in some form. 

Edited by Argy

Completely agree how is Tziolis is in over Samaris that's  crazy but we are used to him getting in the lineup by now, I hope he plays his but off. As for Tzavellas I like him a lot but Staf is the better choice at this point.

Go ELLAS!!!!