Phantis Forums

Greece vs Estonia (31 August 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

You do have a point red sheriff, but you make it out to be that they don't know how to play football. You say it like they are ametuers playing in a local league. Samaris, Tachtsidis and Mitroglou need game time in order to be sharp for this match. What's embarrassing is calling players up like Maniatis and Tziolis instead of Siopis or Kourbelis.

Edited by Dean97

Maniatis and Tziolis clearly should not be called up...

Siopis and Kourbelis are not going to trouble Belgium....and I worry about Estonia too..

ok..let's assume they are all out...

...........................Karnezis.........................

Torosidis........Manolas....Sokratis.......Stafyllidis

............................Kourbelis..........................

Mandalos................Fortounis.......Zeca............Donis

................................Vellios..................................

That is a very poorly balanced 11...

I assume if we have missing players like Mitroglou andTachtsidis maybe a different formation is used, like a 4-4-2. We havent had a decent second striker since I remember following the Ethniki. Maybe a 4-4-2 , in fact a 4-2-2-2, with both Fortounis and Mantalos having very central roles, could be of better usage.
The reason I call Donis a second striker is because he has the technical ability to hold the ball and the vision to search for the assist. He is not just the  - i only shoot - type of guy.

I didnt say anything about having good strikers or not. I maybe got biased because I used a term of the football simulation games. Second striker is pretty much a 10 that plays a bit outside the area and has good technical ability to surpass opposition defenders man to man. He mostly serves at least in the games. 

Im just taking about someone who plays a bit behind the main striker.
I dont think we really have had anyone in that position. The closest that comes to mind is Lymberopoulos. 

Im pretty sure that Skibbe wants to see some of our players play.

Germany Starts Tomorrow.

Serie A Starts Tomorrow.

Championship has already started.

Portuguese League has already started - yet none of our players did participate.

Greek SuperLeague starts tomorrow as well. I guess we ll have to wait and see.

btw needless to say that vellios is not even in the squad for nottingham forest lately... that guy is dumb. after a bad experience with everton he found his old self in iraklis and instead of greece's big-4 he chooses to play in a relegation side in championship where he's not even in the bench..he's lucky we have a very poor striker selection and still gets called up in the national team. he should move somewhere else ASAP. what a tragedy...

i hope he comes to olympiakos even if he's a 3rd option behind emenike and djurdjevic. at least he'll be playing in the greek league quite often with the rotation that will be needed during the season. and that's a logical thought since ansarifard will be gone soon, and that leaves olympiakos with 2 strikers. ben will me moved to the wings, so vellios could come here. 

I dont think both of them are comming. Ben will probably stay as second. Everybody talking him down just because he didn't score against Rijeca, although he did actually win a penalty that was not given. He was excellent in Preseason and vs Partizan who is much better than Rijeca, so I assume he is gonna stay the 2nd choice. Ansarifard I see him going so If Vellios comes Djurdjevic won't , or the opposite. The team is stacked with offensive players I doubt they can bring 2 more. A centerback and in case Retsos leaves, two Centerbacks is what the team currently needs.

durdjevic is a done deal, he will land to athens after the partizan-red star game in 27th. and from what i've read ben will be utilized more as a winger.

anyway the point is that vellios should move from nottingham sooner that later. but i don't see that happening so at least when karelis is back, he can be a reliable second choice after mitroglou, donis too under circumstances but i see him more as a winger in the nt. in that case vellios wil be third-fourth option in the rotation and that wouldn't bother me as he won't be playing if all out strikers are healthy.

ps. athanasiadis moved to maccabi haifa after rejecting konyaspor. hoping for him to find his old self, that would be a big boost for our cf position. 

Hm, so, when we talk many  of our players up as players in the Bundesliga, LaLiga and Serie A, often it looks as though they warm their benches or play at the park in lower competitions. They could be at the ALeague you know..or the MLS with David Villa.

Fetfa had the right idea, he plays every week.

Edited by ausgreek

3 hours ago, Greekaroos said:

Karnezis, Stafylidis, Samaris Tachtsidis, Mitroglou were all not even on the bench for their clubs in weekend domestic league action.

karnezis is expected to move in watford or crystal palace, samaris to west brom or newcastle, stafylifis to hamburg.

you don't nobody when he's about to get a transfer to minimize the chance of an injury that would ruin it.

tachtsidis was not 100% healthy but will probably be ready for the game tomorrow and mitroglou is also injured but with less chances to play in these games. 

Edited by Boxou

there's a chance he's ready for olympiakos-rijeka tomorrow so i suppose he'll be fine for the estonia and belgium games. 

btw i was wrong on samaris, he's currently suspended hence he's not even on the bench, although sooner that later he'll move to epl.