Phantis Forums

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Greece (9 June 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Bilino Polje Stadium, Zenica)

We are all throwing so many names out here of who should get a shot and yes we have some suspensions but realistically this is not the match to start tinkering and trying to figure out if a guy can cut it or not. This is game may decide whether we make the world cup or not. We need to be very smart about our selection and try to keep the chemistry this team has started to show. There are a lot of players who deserve a call up but now is not the time to take a chance, not in this match. We need more friendlies and during those friendlies is when we need to insert these players in. Another thing guys are throwing out there is we need to play for the win and attack Bosnia's defence, If we do that we will lose as we have shown over and over again that style doesn't work for us as we get exposed very easy on the counter. We need to build a wall defensively frustrate the Bosnian's until they start pushing there back end up and at that point we counter when we can. Its the only way we can win and its the way the Greeks should play.

4 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Does anyone have an opinion on Andreas Bouchalakis from Olympiakos?

No because noone has actually seen him play any important match. Playing vs B - C Ethniki at the cup can't really help to form an opinion.

As I said earlier however. I doubt many of our newcommers in De La Bella , Brazilian CB youth whose name I can';t remember, Cardozo, Figueiras even Marin did anything useful to the team

If Retsos, Manthatis, Bouchalakis, Giannitas, Goutas , Ben from Panionios, Maniatis, Laifis remained in the team even as B chohices, instead of half of this year's signings, how worse could this season be? Barely winning the championsip by 3. Getting knocked out from the easiest top 4 team in the cup, Finishing 2nd in the Groupstage to Cyprus champion who actually progressed through Bilbao. How worse would this season be? Worst case scenario - we wouldn't qualify from Osmanlispor, but so what?

Red SHeriff said I am wrong in this one but honestly, these 10 mill Oly spent this transfer window, could be saved to be doubled for next season and have a bigger impact.

17 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

No because noone has actually seen him play any important match. Playing vs B - C Ethniki at the cup can't really help to form an opinion.

As I said earlier however. I doubt many of our newcommers in De La Bella , Brazilian CB youth whose name I can';t remember, Cardozo, Figueiras even Marin did anything useful to the team

If Retsos, Manthatis, Bouchalakis, Giannitas, Goutas , Ben from Panionios, Maniatis, Laifis remained in the team even as B chohices, instead of half of this year's signings, how worse could this season be? Barely winning the championsip by 3. Getting knocked out from the easiest top 4 team in the cup, Finishing 2nd in the Groupstage to Cyprus champion who actually progressed through Bilbao. How worse would this season be? Worst case scenario - we wouldn't qualify from Osmanlispor, but so what?

Red SHeriff said I am wrong in this one but honestly, these 10 mill Oly spent this transfer window, could be saved to be doubled for next season and have a bigger impact.

Yeah your right in a way. He wouldn't be too bad for the national team. I also think he is better than Kourbelis. Also way better than Maniatis and Tziolis. Bouchalakis needs consistent game time in order to prove himself to Skibbe. I also agree with the last paragraph you wrote. We need more Greeks in the Olympiakos 11. Maybe have Bouchalakis instead of Cambiasso and Gianniotas instead of Seba/Pardo. Keep Fortounis as the attacking mid and have either Siopis and Androutsos fighting for the same spot instead of having Martins. Maybe loan out Nikolaou to a mid table Greek SL team to get minutes... Rotate Risvanis and Retsos to have healthy competition next to Botia. This would be healthy for the national team.

Edited by Dean97

My buddy Spiro just came out of the salon after he got colour, while he was on the Greek sports site on his phone, as he does at work,, he read that Retsos is in the squad, along with Lykogianni, and Donis. When you add Oikonomou, Androutsos, Manthatis, Manolas, Gianniotas, and possibly Barkas (Glykos is now injured), this is a very young squad, and that is a healthy way to be for the Pirates. Not an aging side by any means.

Tziolis can teach them about having a big motor, skill, speed and leading by example.

Hello Greeks, 

We are missing 7 players for this game: Milicevic, Besic, Kolasinac, Vrsajevic, Hajrovic, Pavlovic and Vrancic. Because of this, I expect Greece will cruise to an easy victory. We are missing our only left back, our only CDM and our only proper RW. 

Greece will miss 6+1 players too. Samaris, Tachtsidis, Karelis, Papadopoulos, Tzavellas, Glykos and perhaps Zeca. Only Glykos wouldn't start if he was available and maybe Zeca wouldn't start if they were available.

53 minutes ago, kosaca said:

Hello Greeks, 

We are missing 7 players for this game: Milicevic, Besic, Kolasinac, Vrsajevic, Hajrovic, Pavlovic and Vrancic. Because of this, I expect Greece will cruise to an easy victory. We are missing our only left back, our only CDM and our only proper RW. 

your team plays a 4-4-2 so a winger missing is hardly a big concern.

Also, even your best defender (after Spahic in his prime) Kolasinac. as a defender isn't very good, so your defense should be considered poor with or without the players. Lulic as a LB is far better than Milicevic or Pavlovic. I think the fact that we have no A or B choice midfielders available in Samari, Tachtsidis, Papadopoulos, and only youth has been left, makes me worry more.

8 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

your team plays a 4-4-2 so a winger missing is hardly a big concern.

Also, even your best defender (after Spahic in his prime) Kolasinac. as a defender isn't very good, so your defense should be considered poor with or without the players. Lulic as a LB is far better than Milicevic or Pavlovic. I think the fact that we have no A or B choice midfielders available in Samari, Tachtsidis, Papadopoulos, and only youth has been left, makes me worry more.

He is in the Bundesliga team of the season... Move to Arsenal as 3rd highest paid player on the team after Oezil and Sanchez, one of the most important player in our team. Milicevic isn't an LB nor has he ever played that position. In our 4-4-2 we play a winger on the right (Hajrovic) like in Athens. 

I am not trying to downgrade Kolasinac at all. I am a fifa fan and I actually have him in my bundesliga team every year since 2015, coz alaba aint worth so much money collecting. What I tried to imply is that your defenders, at least in my humble opinion, are very poor as a total, and we wont pressure much for a goal either. I believe the biggest difficulty for a Bosnian fan Is watching Vranjes pretending to play a Right Back. With our midfield so undergraded, I expect Skibbe to stack it with players to not let you dominate it.

Yes Vranjes has to play right back and he is sh*t in this position, always out of place and doesn't know how to go forward. Who will Greece be playing on that side? Because that is where you will probably try and exploit the most.

Cheers.

I believe Lulic is equally bad at defending, just better positioning. I honestly don't know. Hopefully a new face like Donis of Nice or Pelkas of PAOK. Anyone who was used there apart from our Left Back Stafylidis(who played Left midfielder when Tzavellas was available but now Tzave got an insta red) was very poor so I would really rather see a new person or no wingers/flankers at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Karnezis~~~~~~~~~~
~Torosidis~Manolas~~Sokratis~Stafylidis~

~~~Retsos~~~~Kourbelis~~~~Siopis~~~
~~~~~Mantalos~~~~~~~Fortounis~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~Mitroglou~~~~~~~~~~~~

I  would rather see a midfield completly new-entries based than see a Maniatis and Portuguese more skilled Maniatis midfield. Bosnians have many losses toο in defence, with their only worth-a-mention defender (since Spahic retired) Kolasinac. No proper fullback as Vranjes will be used there and Lulic, a winger, on the Left Flank. I honestly hope we can score at least once to that defence. If not we are not worthy to go to the World Cup. Strategically speaking though if we can keep the 0 on the back I will take  a 0-0 as we re already in front and could actually manage a pretty strange draw to Belgium in Athens as well.

If Skibbe prefers to keep the team used to the 4-2-3-1 he uses I expect at least one of theyoungsters mentioned above to start at the midfield as well. Possible wingers (with our so out of form Bakasetas who even himself doesn't know which his true position is and Diamantakos Mr Relegated team from Bundesliga 2 probaby both not gonna receive a call up) I would expect to be seen are in order preferance Donis(can apparently play left wing and that was his main position last year)Christodoulopoulos,Pelkas. I also would like Masouras Panionios Winger step up his game because he scored 6 goals in total this year, 5 of them vs Play off teams, which seems kind of odd but yet satisfying to figure.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

2 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

kosaca, is Dzeko going to play? 
I heard he is injured. 

He only picked up a minor knock a few weeks ago, he played the last game for Roma where he won the Serie A Golden Boot. Unless he gets injured in training he should play.

Call Ups announced. Would prefer Siovas over Koutroubis and maybe some fresh blood Manthatis instead of Bakasetas, but he probably was the last decision of Skibbe since he played well in the playoffs. Nothing extreme, nothing wow. With Samaris,Kyriakos,Tzavellas,Tachtsidis, Karelis,Blondie of Paok missing, Lykogiannis,Donis,Kourbelis, Retsos, Gianniotis are "new entries"

I honestly doubt it. I am afraid though that Skibbe has made his mind until Siopis plays in international level to prove his worth against better teams (maybe he ll start if he takes playing time with Olympiakos at the Champions League qualifiers.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

There is obvious risk for both of them, Zeca played 10 mins in Belgium can't exactly call him a seasoned player at NT level. Yes he has more experience at club level, but Siopis has really impressed me this season. Admittedly I have only closely watched him against PAOK but he was very good in those games. 

Realistically I don't think siopi will start, I have thought for a while that barring injury maniati and zeca will be the 2 holding mids and i wouldn't be shocked to see tzioli start as we play with flat 3 in the middle, and push Fortouni out onto the wing and mantalos on the other flank.