Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2017

BostonThanatos

George Savvidis posted the above. Pretty much rules out Garry coming back to PAOK. As much as I liked him when he played for us I would not want him back. Would set a bad example for others.

For sure, we don't need Rodrigues and I see no reason to give him a second go. What we want, is to get paid. Very simple stuff.

And this is also exactly the kind of thing that Savvidis shouldn't have posted, so I can easily believe that he deleted it once someone told him it was a dumb move. Maybe one of the people who give our players Social Media Training ;)

• Like it 1

Michel has confirmed they're gunning for 3-4 more moves to be made in this summer's window. My guess:

The Mak-style speedster that we so clearly are missing

A backup for Canas

A dedicated, Matos-level LB

A goalie

People to leave from our the current squad:

Brkic, Klaus, Kace

People to leave who are on loan:

Sabo, Jairo, Korovesis

And the rest...loan 'em out again. I really hope we don't lose Charisis, and I think we should keep Koulouris - we only need one Klaus-style striker on the roster, so if Klaus goes then I want him to stay. Honestly, the team Michel has put together over these past two transfer periods is good enough to win the championship. Now it's just a matter of reinforcing what's good and correcting any imbalances that remain.

• Like it 1

If we're serious about winning the title we need to improve on:

Keeper - Glykos

Centre back - Crespo

Left back - Leovac

Midfield - Shakov

Right wing -  Djalma

All of the above should be retained as part of a squad with excellent depth required to win a title. 

Striker - Koulouris 

Koulouris should be moved on as he's not up to standard. Needs to be replaced by a talented young striker to provide adequate cover for Prijovic. 

Edited by kozi

What has been most impressive this season is the number of transfers that were good, or at least decent, compared to those that were shockers.

Matos, Varela, Crespo, Canas, Shakhov, Djalma, Biseswar, Warda, Henrique and Prijovic are all good or decent transfers.  Yeah sure, some took a while to get going (I'm looking at you and your gut Biseswar) and we've all had our criticisms of Varela, Biseswar, Crespo, Djalma, Shakhov at times, but overall you can't say any on this list were seriously bad transfers.  The only transfer I expected more from was Brkic but we still have him as a backup so there is at least that.  Oh, I forgot Thiam.  Now that was a shocker.

If you compare the Michel era with the previous season there were some good transfers, Leovac, Cimirot, Charisis, Rodrigues but also some bad ones Vellidis, Sabo, Olsen, Jairo, Antonis.

So, overall, at least at this stage I remain optimistic about getting good summer signings and the work Michel is doing.  Our three summer signings especially in Warda, Henrique and Prijovic have been especially good.

Keeping in mind our current squad size is 26, if we get any new signings I expect players to be let go or loaned out.

Goalkeepers

The short version, I don't see us signing a new GK to replace Glykos, who I think will be the first team GK next season.

1) Glykos : Contracted to 2019

It would be nice to think we will get a GK who is better than Glykos but I don't see it happening.  Good quality GK's are not easy to come by, at least not in the sense of enticing them to come to play in Greece.  So I expect Glykos to still be the number 1 for next season.  I will say this for Glykos, he's at a good age and overall he's been getting better.  I wouldn't say no to a better GK, but I don't see it happening.  Another plus is that he's a good age.

2) Brkic : Contracted to 2019

Overall, disappointing.  I'm sure when he was signed everybody was expecting him to be the first team GK with Glykos as backup or being shown the exit door.  Just goes to show.  For the moment I'm happy to have Brkic as backup.

Defenders

The short version, our best back 4 are good, but we need higher quality depth.  We had a good run this season with injuries.  If one of them is out for an extended period, I don't see the backups as being adequate.

1) Matos : Contracted to 2019

Oh Matos, how I love thee.  What a superstar.  A thorn in the side of the opposition.  Keep winning those headers and keep elbowing your opponents in the face.

2) Crespo : Contracted to 2019

I would say he's been the other surprise this season.  Very solid CB.  Very consistent.  Overall, superb season.

3) Varela : Contracted to 2019

After a shaky start became more consistent.  Varela is a different type of player to Crespo, a little more physical, not quite as good at reading the game, but these two complement each other and are clearly our starting CB pair.

4) Leovac : Contracted to 2019

After a poor start to the season, where there were many calls for his being replaced, also gained some good form and has been consistent from the half way point of the season.

The four above are clearly our best defenders, our main starters when fit.

5) Kitsiou : Contracted to 2018

To his credit, has performed when called on, but he's no Matos and never will be.

6) Malezas : Contracted to 2018

Has been adequate, sometimes very good, but is not at the same level as Varela or Crespo.  Still, good to have for depth or for games where Ivic wants to play with 3 at the back.

7) Chatziisaias : Contracted to 2019

Make or break season for him.  I am hoping he gets some game time but I'm not optimistic.  I can see him being loaned out or just being in the squad to make up the numbers, much like this season.

Midfield

The short version, we have depth.  If we sign someone, it should be a player that is clearly better than anything we have.

1) Canas : Contracted to 2019

Great signing.  Enough said.  A true "kofti".

2) Cimirot : Contracted to 2019

Overall a solid squad player.  Not quite number 6 and not quite a number 8.  Can play the 6 role if required against weaker opposition but he's closer to an 8 for the most part.  Tough kid who can take hits as well as give them.

3) Shakhov : Contracted to 2019

The closest thing we have to a number 8 and it shows in the fact he scored 8 goals.  Cimirot scored none and Canas a solitary goal.

The three above are clearly our best midfielders, our main starters when fit.

4) Kace : Contracted to 2020

Not at the level of Canas but who knows, maybe one day.  Will he stick around though ?  To his credit, has performed well when called on and a bit unlucky to not get more game time.  He's not all that far behind the other midfielders.

5) Charisis : Contracted to 2019

Has gone from being a first team player to not being able to get minutes.  Make or break season for him next season.  Unfortunately I just don't think he'll be able to get minutes over the other midfielders and I can see him being loaned out.

Attacking Midfield/Wings

The short version, we have depth.  If we sign someone, it should be a player that is clearly better than anything we have.

1) Pelkas : Contracted to 2018

Overall has had a good season.  Is beginning to play like a man so to speak.

2) Mystakidis : Contracted to 2020

Pash's loverboy.  Enough said.  Hope he comes back stronger than ever.  We need some Greek boys on the team and what he lacks in technique he makes up for with energy and effort.  Good rotation option.

3) Biseswar : Contracted to 2019

What a potato at the beginning of the season.  The brunt of many deserved jokes.  Well he showed us, and I'm sure we're all glad to have it thrown back in our faces.  Ivic said something interesting in the press conference after the PAO game in the Cup, that he considered Biseswar in the top 3 players in the GSL.

4) Djalma : Contracted to 2019

Much maligned player, unfairly so in my eyes.  Maybe people saw him as the Mak replacement but he was never that.  To his credit he can shield the ball and he takes a good number of hits from the opposition.  They seem to like bashing him.  Granted, when he's on a bad day he can be poor but on his good day he can really hurt the opposition.  Gives it his all.

5) Warda : Contracted to 2020

Seems like a solid signing.  Good to have for depth and rotation with different attributes to both Pelkas and Biseswar.

6) Henrique : Contracted to 2020

Expecting big things from him next season.  In games against weaker opposition, where he won't be expected to have defensive duties, will excel.  Superb option to have on the bench for when opposition tire.

Forwards

The short version, we have only one real quality striker.

1) Prijovic : Contracted to 2021

Please stay healthy and terrorize those defenders.  Of note in the Cup Final when he won 3 headers in a row and those AEK CB's aren't exactly short.  We have lacked aerial presence for the longest time.  How on earth did he recover from his injury so quickly, ha ha ?!?!

2) Klaus : Contracted to 2018

Needs to improve, end of story.

3) Koulouris : Contracted to 2018

I don't think he'll ever be good enough, but we'll see.  I've been proven wrong on so many occasions I've lost count.

Players on Loan

I don't see any of Sabo, Jairo, Antonis, Korovesis even Pereyra playing again for PAOK.

==================================================================================

My Recommendations

1) Hands down, I think our top priority should be a Striker.  If we had Prijovic from the beginning of the season ... who knows.  And if he gets injured, what then ?  We managed 52 goals, the second highest in the GSL without a striker.  That is crazy!

2) Left back.  If Leovac gets injured, Crespo can cover but we lose that flank in terms of attacking potential.

3) Any other signings should be clear upgrades or don't bother.

Other Recommendations

3) Sack Ivic.

4) Bring back Tziolis now.

5) Bring back Tzavellas.  We are lacking a social media presence since he left.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 2

I, for one, loved Bananas' post.

Some other thoughts - Ivic was asked what he told Glykos at halftime after he let through that incredible goal. Apparently, he told Glykos that he was the best goalkeeper in Greece. Now this could just be fluff, but it might make his staying with us more likely (unless some foreign team is testing the waters with the club, behind the scenes?).

Banana boat, you missed Poungouras, though I"m guessing that's who you meant when you were talking about Chatziisaias?

I also think we need a Matos-level left back. Let him and Leovac fight it out. I think Kitsiou has been better than many have given him credit for, but having someone like Matos in the squad makes everyone play second fiddle.

Agreed on Campos - not a Mak replacement. Excels at forcing errors in the opposing players, knows how to track back. He's also in probably the best shape of any of our players - it's not just that he runs, but he has a combination of physical strength and agility that Pelkas and Mistakidis should set as a goal. Too many lightweights in the Greek league.

I'm looking forward to the return of Konstantinidis, too, but have no idea if that'll work out. Surely we don't need three right backs in a squad. I'm kind of surprised, though, that Matos has not been used on the left at all.

48 minutes ago, Nea Bafra said:

Hey @Bananas can you give me a condensed version. I'm a pontio and I stopped reading 5 sentences in when my brain started to hurt

Yeah I know, ha ha, sometimes, I just get in the analytical mood.  It wasn't until after I posted it that I thought "sheez, that is a wall of text".

4 hours ago, pash said:

Banana boat, you missed Poungouras, though I"m guessing that's who you meant when you were talking about Chatziisaias?

Pouggouras is higher on the pecking order than Chatziisaias. I believe Chatziisaias will be history after this season.

After the cup final Michel said that there will be 3 to 4 transfers during the summer.  

We'll probably see an offer for Antonis from his current club. Hopefully we make a few euros off of him. I can't see us wanting to keep him when we have better home grown (and fully integrated) talent already in the club.

These guys are saying we're interested in Vellios. I can't see that happening, esp since he's an Iraklis boy. I also don't think he offers a solution to your striker needs.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/11/nottingham-forest-striker-apostolos-vellios-wanted-by-olympiakos/?utm_medium=share service&utm_campaign=social media&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=HITCdeadlineday

I thought that was particularly ironic, as before he moved there I *believe* he had said he didn't want to go to either Olympiakos or PAOK. And then promptly signed for the team that Marinakis was in the process of buying.

I randomly watched a cup game between Besiktas and Konyaspor last season where Boyko was playing in goal. He made a few mistakes all of which cost Besiktas the game. Our inability to sign a decent keeper is beyond me.