Phantis Forums

2017-2018 Pre Season Training News

Dutch Eagle

You would think that Warda would take things more seriously.  Sure, maybe signing for PAOK is not the dream for him, but it's the best he's ever had and may very well be the best he will ever have.  Add to that the fact that there is competition for the positions that he plays and also he takes up a foreigner slot, you'd think he'd be at the training ground early and raring to go.  Oh well, like pash said, it's like we have to have one of these every season.  Bye bye Warda, see you next season ... maybe.

For our first friendly, apparently this is what Stanojevic has been trying out:

--Siampanis--

--Matos--Varela--Crespo--Leovac--

--Cimirot--Shakhov--

--Henrique--                           --Pelkas--

--Klaus--Prijovic--

Didn't PAO try playing without wingers for a season? Well, I foresee us doing equally poorly without a dedicated attacking midfielder.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about this whole 4-4-2 business.  Especially so since Stanojevic said in his press interview that he'd be flexible regarding the system.  Technically, 4-4-2 means your wingers drop back a little and play slightly deeper, and you do away with a number 10 in the hole in favour of a second striker.  I can't see how you wouldn't play Biseswar, who is our best player when fit, and his natural position is a number 10.  If anything, I can see us playing a 4-4-1-1 when Biseswar is playing, or he'll push him onto the flank, which is all well and good but a player like Biseswar you want roaming all over the place.  If anyone is capable of a free role it's him.  Anyway, we'll see.

Yup...I also think that Biseswar's fitness is not going to let him consistently make a run as winger. The guy just doesn't have the legs for it. Perhaps Stanojevic will surprise us with a 4-4-2 diamond instead...since he likes aggression, why not drop another midfielder for the attacking option?

Personally, I think once he comes up against a team that parks the bus, he'll realize the that some players should play in their natural positions...and are too good to ignore.

One of the key requirements for the new manager was that he was meant to keep the core of the team.  If you implement a system that doesn't use wingers as in the 4-4-2 diamond, then you basically don't need Campos, Henrique or ... Warda.  Anyway,  we shall see.  I'm all for mixing it up as far as systems go and it's good to throw the opposition and have players that are flexible.  There is no such thing as the "best" system or "we don't change our system for any opposition" unless you are in the top two or three clubs in the world and can buy the best of the best.

Now that would have been a hell of a flashy Henrique goal

-edit- 13.5k watching the stream now. This might be getting more viewership than most of last season's early games.

Edited by pash