Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

Seems weird that you'd start - or even play - Oikonomou there when Stafylidis is a left back and would be the logical choice there. If Skibbe called up - and played - any wingers at all, that's where he would have been in this match.

There is no reason to have stafylidis play cm with tzavellas being out. He played really well minus 1 slip which could happen to anyone. 

..............karnezis

toro..manolas..sokratis..stafylidis...

.......maniatis...zeca

mantalos..fortounis..giannotas

.........mitroglou

i think this would be a no brainer to use. 

• Like it 1

Getting 1-1 tie today was a great achievement against a much stronger team like Belgium. I think the new coach has the same recipe as Otto, play strong defense, frustrate the opponents, never mind about playing attractive football, and score on counter-attacks. It won't be pretty but given the talent available, Greece can achieve good things in football if they have discipline and a good plan. [things that lack in the greater society]

• Like it 2

On 3/26/2017 at 0:07 AM, HellasLEAF said:

This will be our toughest match of the season.  And very key losses from our team for me important players, advantage a bit to Bosnia playing at home in hostile atmosphere.  In truth Greece will be mild mannered compared imo but we'll see. 

Regardless.  Even if we lose that one.  Keep it a close score and realistically will be a coin flip from there who qualifies.  We can beat Belgium at home I am not impressed by them. 

Greece cannot afford to lose ONE match, avoid losing at all cost. Bosnia isn't as good as Belgium. Greece can win in Zenica and put Bosnia out of commission. For the home game against Belgium, you better pray Hazard and De Bruyne don't play again, they are speedy and will wear out Manolas and Sokratis stride for stride. 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:01 AM, Rockafeller Skank said:

qualifying needs some luck from the drawing pot. If we get a Spain/Italy Netherlands/Sweden Switzerand/Portugal draw its gonna be hard.

LOL!!!! Netherlands suck, they are like Greece during EURO 2016 qualifying. 

our most likely chance is if we beat/tie Bosnia and lose to Belgium but win the playoff spot.

what happens between Belgium/Greece/Bosnia is going to be vital cause I don't think any team is gunna drop points to Cyprus/Estonia/Gilbratar this campaign.

the 2nd place teams are all pretty beatable for us. And also if we have high points (which we currently do it will be someone beatable)

for example as it stood before the game our opposition is northern ireland which we struggled with last campaign but we should really be able to take them or is it randomized?

last world cup I think it came down to fifa draw/seeding so that's trouble.

we didn't get the red and held on against belgium, beat bosnia and tie belgium and win everything else to capture 1st that would of been best case scenario.

Edited by georgelaz

The point against Belgium has given the power back to Greece for 2nd spot (possibly 1st).

Bosnia 'MUST' beat us if they wish to advance, otherwise they will have to rely on us dropping points elsewhere. They'll come out and attack so team selection is tricky as Skibbe has to decide whether he wants to play on the counter, or treat the game as you usually would, needing to win.

Personally, I feel we should go out play somewhat conservative when required, but with a plan to win (NOT DRAW). 

If we can beat Bosnia, then their fixture against Belgium will literally become a must win (otherwise no chance for WC18)... If they can then snatch a point of Belgium it may just open a door for us to look for auto qualification.

• Like it 2

OK, it's really simple guys, Greece win out their remaining 5 matches, they are heading to Russia. LOL!!! 

• Like it 1

The midfielders for the next game will be Tziolis (vc), Zeca  Maniatis (long ranger) and Fortounis. Siopis will come on later.

Edited by ausgreek

Sokratis post match interview. he notes that the Greeks need to show love for their players and the reported reminded him that 2500 Greeks came to see him. (They were likely from the diaspora though)

No reason we cant win in athens vs belgium and beat bosnia. We defend well and will make the most of our chances. In todays game take out hatsh red to taxi and its a different game. 

• Like it 1

On 3/21/2017 at 9:41 AM, pash said:

I wouldn't. Kapino who?

Kapino, who played a good game and bailed us out on a number of occasion. lol 

Kapino's ass was saved by the outstanding performance of our center backs.

it was a team effort. kapino double save on the lukaku header preserved the draw.

tachtsidis in midfield is nice. being able to win headers in the midfield is so valuable + pinpoint passes. Samaris with the defensive heavy lifting.

weakest link was probably fortounis he was pretty invisible and isn't having the best season compared to last year.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, pash said:

Kapino's ass was saved by the outstanding performance of our center backs.

Kapino >>>>> Glykos 

On 3/27/2017 at 11:23 AM, georgelaz said:

weakest link was probably fortounis he was pretty invisible and isn't having the best season compared to last year.

Which means he better leave Greece and find a new club somewhere competitive to revive his career.

highly disagree. if he can't light up the greek league as well as he did last year he'll get beched to death in italy/spain/england/germany

^ I agree, he won't get any playing time and he's game will decline. He needs to get back to form in the Greek league first before he even thinks about leaving.

On 26/3/2017 at 8:37 PM, pash said:

Seems weird that you'd start - or even play - Oikonomou there when Stafylidis is a left back and would be the logical choice there. If Skibbe called up - and played - any wingers at all, that's where he would have been in this match.

Like, who to start at the midfield besides Maniatis, with all these guys being suspended ? If Zeca starts it's going to be a marvellous disaster,not only because he doesn't fit in nt's system and he's a poor footballer at all, but also against Belgium in 10 minutes of action he made a lot of mistakes and eventually the Belgians equalized after he lost the ball in the midfield. I'd love to see Siopis but he lacks size. Tziolis is tremendously slow too. Doubt Retsos is going to be given the chance, because he seemed quite familiar with this position when he was utilized there by Bento in Olympiacos. 

I know deeply inside me it's gonna be Zeca though. 

will most likely be zeca. he's not as bad as you say he's basically what Maniatis was in like 2012

who do we have available?

seems like our midfield would be = fortounis, zeca, mantalos, kpaps, gianniota

out = samaris, tzavellas, tachtsi?

we don't actually have a lot to worry about missing players because while our midfield isn't that good, all our replacements are equally as good. eg) for tzavella we just put in staf as LB and then gianniota can assume stafs wing duty.

only midfielder I'd be annoyd not to start is fortouni and fetfa (who never starts)

• Like it 1