Phantis Forums

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

1 minute ago, Dean97 said:

Samaris was very average for me today. Maybe I'm expecting him to play killer passes and try and create something further up the field. But I get what his job is, his job is to stay deep and help out the defence. Tachtsidis should have not gotten a second yellow. The foul wasn't that bad. We have 4 maybe 5 key players missing in our next big match against Bosnia. I also think Stafylidis is a liability in defence. You can't trip over yourself like that and he almost cost us an own goal. Positive of the match was we were focused and determined throughout the match. We were organised and pressed them well. I just hope we see the same in the next match. We were so close to a win, a win that would've helped us.

He is a holding midfielder gringo. if you want killer passes check another player like Fortounis.

We did not look equal to Belgium. It was only our CBs that kept our heads above water, for loooong periods of time.

Tzavellas should have been subbed out at halftime, with Stafylidis shifting into LB. It was GUARANTEED that Tzavellas would have gotten another card. I mean come on, you could see it coming from a mile away.

Surprisingly good performance by team overall, though, I thought. As is often the case, if you had told me yesterday that we'd get a draw out of this match then I would have been ecstatic. But losing the win with 1 minute to go? Ugh that stings.

• Like it 2

Why exactly did we not look equal to belgium? They had 1 chance out of luck (ball reflecting to 3-4 players before it gets on Dries Mertens) which Kapino cleared. 

They had another chance from Lukaku and Kapino again.

Third serious chance they created was the Goal which I couldn't expect Sokratis falling for that. It seemed obvious that Lukaku is gonna turn and shoot, but maybe it was just the difference in angles (he was behind him).

3 good chances for them 2 for us. Their subs are good but seem clueless. Useless possession is this match's discription

would've been so nice to get the win sucks a shock win was snapped with minutes to go. but if u told me 1-1 yeah I'd take it.

Bravo ston Mitroglou. Manolas also played great. Staf was also amazing.

Fortounis was a bit invisible and Sokratis was great besides the Sokratis goal.

Tzavellas also played baller besides his temper and at least it only costed him at the 90th minute.

Luckily for Bosnia we'll likely have kpaps back and we have some depth with Zeca, Siopis, Maniatis to cover Tachtsi

Just now, georgelaz said:

would've been so nice to get the win sucks a shock win was snapped with minutes to go. but if u told me 1-1 yeah I'd take it.

Tzavellas also played baller besides his temper and at least it only costed him at the 90th minute.

Luckily for Bosnia we'll likely have kpaps back and we have some depth with Zeca, Siopis, Maniatis to cover Tachtsi

Skai reporter said Tachts was used only to play Fellaini in the midfield coz he is massive, and Witsel wins battles as well. I know tachtsi wasnt very good overall today but I think we did win the midfield.

• Like it 2

7 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

He is a holding midfielder gringo. if you want killer passes check another player like Fortounis.

I believe he can offer more in attack. Look what he did against Ivory Coast. Played higher up and scored, which Karagounis and Maniatis were the holding midfielders.

9 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

Samaris did well today, played his best game for ethniki

Best game? Not sure about that. It was one of his best games defensively. I thought he was more solid in defence than attack. Some of his passes were very average today when I believe his passing is the best part of his game.

11 minutes ago, pash said:

We did not look equal to Belgium. It was only our CBs that kept our heads above water, for loooong periods of time.

Tzavellas should have been subbed out at halftime, with Stafylidis shifting into LB. It was GUARANTEED that Tzavellas would have gotten another card. I mean come on, you could see it coming from a mile away.

Surprisingly good performance by team overall, though, I thought. As is often the case, if you had told me yesterday that we'd get a draw out of this match then I would have been ecstatic. But losing the win with 1 minute to go? Ugh that stings.

I agree with you pash. I was thinking the same. We should have put Stafylidis LB with Gianniotas as LW. That would of done more damage to Belgium's right side of defence. I also believe Zeca should of came on earlier or Maniatis.

5 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Manolas did very well. So did Sokratis. Mitroglou has regained that confidence he had back in 2013. He looks like he is playing on another level. But his slowness holds him back to do even more damage. Papadopoulos is out next match. Stafylidis has improved but is still a liability. 

1 minute ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

The only difference we ll see on Bosnia match will be Zeca starter instead of Samaris coz he is suspended and Stafylidis Left Back with maybe Gianniotas up front. The play offs will be done next qualifying matchday so if Siopis keeps on good appearances he might be the starter one.

I would not count on it. Tziolis looks like he will start next match.

So Samaris is out, Tachtsidis is out, Tzavellas it out and let's not forget Papadopoulos. 

That basically means we'll have to change 3 starters. Imo, since we obviously are going to play for a draw, we should basically go after Siopis, perhaps call up Kone, Retsos who can play there too. Not really satisfied by how Zeca played in these 10 minutes. Even use Stafylidis if needed. Oikonomou to replace Tzavellas, otherwise there's going to be an inner sub with Stafylidis going back to his natural position, and bringing Ganniotas or for the love of God, someone useful. Bosnia will also miss Kolasinac in that game. 

Btw, why the hell don't we arrange a friendly game to improve our rankings? Has anybody considered the possibility of finishing second but then having to face the likes of Italy, Netherlands and so ? We'll be unseeded if we advance to the playoffs (IF WE GET THERE) so that means we will have even more limited chances to qualify in the world cup. Skibbe should have thought this before. Even more now, because we'll have to use new players for arguably the most important game of the campaign.

17 minutes ago, Boxou said:

So Samaris is out, Tachtsidis is out, Tzavellas it out and let's not forget Papadopoulos. 

That basically means we'll have to change 3 starters. Imo, since we obviously are going to play for a draw, we should basically go after Siopis, perhaps call up Kone, Retsos who can play there too. Not really satisfied by how Zeca played in these 10 minutes. Even use Stafylidis if needed. Oikonomou to replace Tzavellas, otherwise there's going to be an inner sub with Stafylidis going back to his natural position, and bringing Ganniotas or for the love of God, someone useful. Bosnia will also miss Kolasinac in that game. 

Btw, why the hell don't we arrange a friendly game to improve our rankings? Has anybody considered the possibility of finishing second but then having to face the likes of Italy, Netherlands and so ? We'll be unseeded if we advance to the playoffs (IF WE GET THERE) so that means we will have even more limited chances to qualify in the world cup. Skibbe should have thought this before. Even more now, because we'll have to use new players for arguably the most important game of the campaign.

Dude everyone knows our chances of qualifying are limited. But even reaching the Play offs is a whole new upgrade from Euro 2016 qualification. Rome was not built in a day.

• Like it 1

On 22/03/2017 at 0:21 AM, Greekaroos said:

On paper Belgium have a awesome squad. Lucky matches aren't played on paper. I will stick to my prediction of 1-1 in Brussels but in Athens it will 1-4 to Belgium. 

I hope I don't get the prediction right for the Athens match.

• Like it 1

42 minutes ago, Boxou said:

I doubt that it would give us an appreciable boost (assuming we even win against who we're going again), but the EPO's unwillingness to organize friendlies has been driving me nuts for years now. Every opportunity we have is utterly wasted. And it wasn't that long ago that the people who would be chosen to play in these friendlies were Karagounis, Katsouranis, and Gekas.

Dude our epo played a friendly before the Bosnia match. Their's didnt. Now Bosnia playing one, ours didn't. I am not sure it's easy to find opponents but considering we re one of the best park the bus nations we should be pretty perizititoi from big teams who wanna find ways to break solid defences.

• Like it 1