Phantis Forums

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

I agree, all parking the bus will do is give Belgium half the field to work with and full possession of the ball to set up plays to break down our defense.  It's a bad mentality because when you give a team like that possession they will eventually score some goals. You need to field a fast line up with a defense first mentality but are willing to attack as a group and put some pressure on there back end so that they will think twice about pushing everyone forward. If we play scared and just get rid of the ball when we get it then we will get destroyed.

• Like it 2

I fully agree with this "park the bus" mentality. You can't win this match or draw by playing like that for the whole 90 minutes of play. You have to take risks at some point in the game, like counter attack or set up your offense on the run of play, or try to draw a set-piece play like a free kick. 

23 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Kapinos

Torosidis - Manolas - Sokratis - Tzavellas

Samaris - Zeca - ???

Fortounis -  Mantalos

Mitroglou

I guess Skibbman will go for 4-3-2-1 hoping a draw happens.

Vermaelen playing starter and giving in to Mitroglou's scary face ends up with us winning a penalty in 89 minute.

Fortounis scores and a lion roar gets heard from whole Greece.

We did it boys. we scored. 

BELGIUM - GREECE FT: 12-1

Sovaroligis with Zeca I cant handle this stuff the guy is avg at best Siopis and Tachtsidis should start ahead of him

I question why select six defensive central midfielders in a squad of 23 for one match? Samaris, Maniatis, Tziolis, Zeca, Siopis & Tachtsidis. Probably play with three defensive midfielders & have every one of them covered for god sake that one gets injured.

So this game is finally about here.  I have to say I have never been optimistic about it.  For me this was always the sure loss on the schedule.  

The team's performance has been up and down, despite place in the standings, not filling me with much confidence.   

Don't think we lose big but they will do enough at home to beat us imo.  

I hope play tough and make a solid goal diff and who knows maybe even miracle out a draw. 

Their B team is better than our A team. Nainggolan just got a call up and I thought he's one of their best. Go figure. 

In response to park the bus or not to park. No fan likes to see their team just park the bus. I no I don't. I really hope we come out in the first 15' and hit 2 past them. The point and needs to be emphasised is to limit the opposition with goal scoring opportunities and hope they have a slightly off day.

Edited by kbxk508
I spelt their 'there'

15 hours ago, Greekaroos said:

I question why select six defensive central midfielders in a squad of 23 for one match? Samaris, Maniatis, Tziolis, Zeca, Siopis & Tachtsidis. Probably play with three defensive midfielders & have every one of them covered for god sake that one gets injured.

because this is the position you have struggled to find a good replacement for Katsouranis until his 32. He literally was irreplaceable and we all (me included) fckin hated him.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:21 AM, Greekaroos said:

On paper Belgium have a awesome squad. Lucky matches aren't played on paper. I will stick to my prediction of 1-1 in Brussels but in Athens it will 1-4 to Belgium. 

I prefer 2-0 loss in Brussels and 1-1 in Athens. 

On 3/21/2017 at 0:15 AM, HellasLEAF said:

So this game is finally about here.  I have to say I have never been optimistic about it.  For me this was always the sure loss on the schedule.  

The team's performance has been up and down, despite place in the standings, not filling me with much confidence.   

Don't think we lose big but they will do enough at home to beat us imo.  

I hope play tough and make a solid goal diff and who knows maybe even miracle out a draw. 

Depending on who is starting at goal, Kapino would keep us in the game instead of Glykos, who most PAOK fans would let you know he is tragic. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Just now, Molon Lave said:

Depending on who is starting at goal, Kapino would keep us in the game instead of Glykos, who most PAOK fans would let you he is tragic. 

I wouldn't. Kapino who?

Geia sas.. My first post!

If I was to be realistic I think it would be a steal to get something out of this game,but in saying that I don't feel it's impossible to snatch a draw/win.

The most important aspect is a good performance both defending & ATTACKING, because sometimes we seem to lack creativity.

This is how I'd set up & my reasoning for it... 

Kapino

Toro       Sokratis       Manolas      Stafy

Samaris       Tachsidis

Fourtounis

Mantalos                            Gianniotas

Mitroglou

1. Kapino - Karnezis ektos.
  2. Toro - I wouldn't want him going forward too much. Has slowed down,but still experienced.
  3. Sokratis - No explanation required.
  4. Manolas - No explanation required.
  5. Stafy - Is in good form.Can go forward & has pace + work ethic to get back if we are caught out. 
  6. Samaris - Decent on the ball and breaking up play. Sit in and bring in front 4.
  7. Tachsidis - I know he's slow but he'll be able to use that dangerous left foot to find pace out wide.
  8. Fourtounis - We have all seen what he's capable of. The rest is up-to him. 
  9. Mantalos - Will work both ways and isn't foreign in-front of goals.
  10. Gianniotas - Little mennace. Quick.Hard work ethic. Dangerous running at players. Passionate.Came from the the Great ARIS.
  11. Mitroglou - In great form, but will mean nothing with no supply. Could become a liability if he's not played into the game early.

Thoughts?

• Like it 2

I'm really hoping Zeca doesn't get the gig.

For starters I don't think he's anywhere near good enough, & even if he was he's been with the NT for 2 weeks... I think it would be tragic to throw him in against Belgium.

If he does start, I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like it 1