Phantis Forums

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

In the US, Fox Soccer Plus (the subscription channel) will have the game live. Also Fox Soccer 2Go and Fox Sports Go subscription streaming services will show it. Additionaly, Univision Deportes will have the game with Spanish commentary. Univision Deportes is available on DirecTV (ch. 464), Dishnetwork (ch. 869) as well as on AT&T U-Verse and Verizon Fios.

In Canada Sportnet World and Sportnet World Now will show the game.

For complete Greek Soccer Schedules visit my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Greeksoccerontv/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Edited by Blackhawk

5 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I know Sokratis got injured during the Benfica game, didn't play this weekend...Does anyone know how long he is out for???

A slight one. He'll be available for the national team game, that's for sure. Actually he'll be in action the upcoming weekend.

8 hours ago, J1078 said:

It sucks if he's out,  but to be honest we have no chance this match anyways and realistically with or with out him we are looking at a defeat. Lets just hope he's back for the Bosnia game which is our true do or die game.

I'd take Kapino but I've no idea for how long he will be out. He'll surely miss Olympiacos game on Thursday, so the chances are limited. Most likely Glykos will start, with Mparkas and let's say Lamprou of Willem will get a call up.

All in all I think the team is in a much better shape right now. Almost everyone gets regular playing time in their clubs abroad ( Karnezis, Torosidis, Sokratis, Manolas, Stafylidis, Samaris, Mitroglou, Siovas, Papadopoulos are all regular starters as well as Oikonomou, Tzavellas, Tachtsidis and co. Looking back in November, Samaris  and Papadopoulos were bench warmers, Siovas and Tzavellas had no club, Torosidis wasn't regular either. Maniatis too, who was the first option, he was not even allowed to train with Olympiacos. 

Also, I'd like to see Vergos, Retsos and Manthatis ASAP in the national team. I don't understund why they should waste call ups to Diamantakos, Bakasetas, Lazaros ( ? ) and Petsos.  

* Kudos to that coach who didn't cap Lodygin in time. We would be packed now...

• Like it 1

Glykos starting is kind like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. 

What we will probably get is a bunch of stunning saves to keep us in the game followed by him flapping at a cross/corner and costing us a goal and any hope of a result.

So I think thats equivalent to getting a choc-strawberry out of the box?

• Like it 1

Team to be chosen 24th March. Lets hope its the best the selectors can pick. Rumours are false that Tziolis will be v-c of the team.

Edited by ausgreek

Nice to see Manthati/Androutso/siopis get a call up. Doubt we'll see any of them in action, perhaps manthati if we are chasing a goal. 

Fingers crossed Kapino gets the Besiktas and PAO game under his belt leading into this one. Glykos has been shaky over the last month. Not saying that Kapino is a superstar but I would take him over Glyko. 

Surely we won't see a midfield of Maniati/Tzioli/Zeca? 

From this team given what we know of Skibbe, one would expect Glykos/Kapino; Torosidis, Sokratis, Manolas, Tzavellas; Samaris, Maniatis; Mantalos, Fortounis, Stafylidis; Mitroglou. 

Heaven help us. De Bruyne alone will destroy our fullbacks. And even Sokratis/Manolas may struggle to contain a beast like Lukaku if the midfield doesn't shield them properly. Which they never do.

Edited by Nikod

56 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Nice to see Manthati/Androutso/siopis get a call up. Doubt we'll see any of them in action, perhaps manthati if we are chasing a goal. 

Fingers crossed Kapino gets the Besiktas and PAO game under his belt leading into this one. Glykos has been shaky over the last month. Not saying that Kapino is a superstar but I would take him over Glyko. 

Zeca is probably a Maniatis replacement, since the one is out of form and playing for a low greek side at the moment.

Zeca Samaris is a midfield of 2 defensive midfielders. heck even Maniatis Samaris Zeca. We re gonna let the Belgians have possession and hope for a counter.

We're now going into Belgium minues two crucial players in Papadopoulos and Karnezis. The lineup is littered with impactless, below average players from the Greek league. We are in for a tough run. 

I cannot get over the fact that KPap is suspended for the next two qualifiers vs Belgium and Bosnia. He would have started as DM and he is by far our best player in that position. 

• Like it 1

Retsos can play everywhere from a RB to a CB and a DMF. Yet he didn't receive the call up. Anyway we ain't winning that game so it doesn't really matter who is going to be called up or not. 

Although IMO Zeca, Diamantakos and Mpakasetas haven't proved they deserve to be parts of this national team. 

I Just wish he will pick wise for the game against Bosnia or even the one against Belgium at home, when the Belgians will have already secured their qualification and they probably won't care that much for this game ( or at least that's my impression ). 

Just an earnest request guys, surnames in the English language do have an "s" ending. Please it looks weird when you ( on purpose ? ) type them without this.

Boxou, your points are all valid, but what often happens when a team is already qualified and possesses some depth, is that they field their hungry backups trying to play themselves into the lineup going forward. Belgium's bench consists of subs who start for some of the bigger clubs in Europe, especially at the attacking position. That won`t be an easy game. 

Edited by Argy

10 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Kapino won't play in either match Besiktas or PAO, Glykos is worse than Halkias i would have preferred Lamprou or Barkas, on a side note why naturalise Zeca, EPO should have made sure the PAO keeper Vlachodimos was eligible, someone we could do with and who is actually Greek, Zeca is a waste but Skibbe is lazy he left out Retsos but we see oikonomou and he went for players like Bakasetas, Maniatis, Tzavellas and Vellios purely and simply because he picked them before, seems like he can't be bothered to look around. The omission of Retsos though is beyond me. 

Belgium will have lots of fun. 

This is not necessarily a criticism, but a fact. Skibbe is emulating Otto's strategy of keeping a tight knit group of regulars that will form the core of this team. He will then have 5 or 6 interchangeable players based on form and fitness. It brought success to Otto early on, but he held on to it for too long and it ended up collapsing. 

Edited by Argy

The next two games versus Belgium And Bosnia will show how bad of a coach Skibbe is. I do understand it's not all Skibbe as the players need to take responsibility for there play as well but he has been so lucky upto this point and realistically we should have lost at home against Bosnia. Even Estonia had chance after chance against us and we were lucky two walk a way with a win. Gibraltar even made history against us scoring there first goal in a tournament. 

We scored 2 goals against Estonia and one lucky goal against Bosnia and you think we are going to score 2 versus Belgium?? Don't be surprised if Greece doesn't get the ball past there half with any kind of possession.

• Like it 2

Belgium's goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is among the top in the world, their defense is just as strong as ours. Greece will have a hard time keeping possession of the ball and may not get many chances to score. Our only hope is 0-0.