Phantis Forums

EL-Rof32-Leg 2: Schalke 04 - PAOK ( 22 Feb 2017, 19:00 EET )

Blackhawk

Schalke04.jpg.e62ca51991087069e2363d4e52c4f1a4.jpg  VS  PAOK.jpg.d1b79252d970c38fe0cde20e1aabda09.jpg

MATCHUP:           Schalke 04 - PAOK Thessaloniki 
COMPETITION:    Europa League – Round of 32- Leg 2
DATE:                   22-February-2017
TIME:                    19:00 EET  (17:00 GMT, 11:00 CST, 04:00 AEDT next day)
CITY/STADIUM:   Gelsenkirchen - Veltins Arena (62,271)
REFEREES:         Luca Banti - Mauro Tonolino, Matteo Passeri - Paolo Valeri, Marco Guida (Italy)    
TELEVISION:       COSMOTE Sport TV (Greece), Fox Sports 2 (USA)

PAOK's History against German teams in European Competitions

2016-2017:  PAOK - Schalke 04   0:3   - Att: ? - Europa League (Rof32-Leg 2)
2015-2016:  Borussia Dortmund - PAOK  0:1   (Mak) - Att: 55,200 - Europa League (Group Stage - Round 6)
2015-2016:  PAOK - Borussia Dortmund   1:1   (Mak) - Att: 22,663 - Europa League (Group Stage - Round 2)
2013-2014:  PAOK - Schalke 04   2:3   (Athanasiadis, Katsouranis) - Att: no fans - Champions League (Playoff Round - Leg 2)
2013-2014:  Schalke 04 - PAOK   1:1   (Stoch) - Att: 52,444 - Champions League (Playoff Round - Leg 1)
2005-2006:  PAOK - VfB Stuttgard  1:2   (Karypidis) - Att: 21,479 - UEFA Cup (Group Stage - Round 2)
1982-1983:  Bayern Munich - PAOK   0:0  (9:8 penalty shootout) - Att: 57,000 - UEFA Cup (Round 2, Leg 2)
1982-1983:  PAOK - Bayern Munich  0:0 - Att: 28,446 - UEFA Cup (Round 2, Leg 1)
1981-1982:  PAOK - Eintracht Frankfurt  2:0 (4:5 penalty shootout) (Kostikos 2) - Att: 23,503 - Cup Winners Cup (Round 1, Leg 2)
1981-1982:  Eintracht Frankfurt - PAOK  2:0 - Att: 46,000 - Cup Winners Cup (Round 1, Leg 1)

GAMES:   10
WINS:       2
TIES:        4
LOSSES:  4

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 2: Schalke 04 - PAOK (22 Feb 2017, 19:00 EET)
On 2/16/2017 at 6:09 PM, Athens4 said:

I would honestly prefer to play with no striker than have Athanasiadis up front. I cannot believe there were people who actually thought he would resurrect himself against Schalke tonight.

i say eff it and we go 180* the other way.

since we have next to no defenders for the next match [its matos/varela/leovac out     right?] AND we're down by three home goals now. id like to see an almost "balls to the wall" line up of 

glykos

malezas    crespo      chatziisaias

henrique  mystakidis

warda     pelkas    campos

stupid klaus       koulouris

(for some reason, i feel as if henrique and mysta if give the roll, would be good feeders and a dangerous long distance shot) 

and throw in charisis/campos/cimirot/bisewar  for whoever is having a bad game.

my other option would be:

stupid klaus

malezas crespo chatziisaias

henrique  mystakidis

warda campos pelkas

glykos    koulouris

because they both have the same amount of league goals...  what do we have to lose? 

p.s.    i like vodka

• Like it 2

I would like to see us revert to a 4-3-3 as the 3-5-2 eveyone is defending obviously didnt work. 

------------------------mystakidis-----------------------warda------------------pelkas------------henrique

-----------------cimirock-----shakov-------------------crespo----malezas----pouggoras--kitsiou

------------------------glykos------------------------------

No matos, no leovac, no varela, no pirjovic, no canias, no kace. 

Biseswar, charisis,klaus,campos, deligianidis, chatxisais,brkic 

Ti 3-5-2 kai 4-3-3 kai 4-4-2 kai kai kai...  When a cross comes in and everybody is ball watching (the 2nd goal) or your keeper hands them a goal on a platter (the 3rd goal) of what relevance is the system ?

At some point, every man on the pitch just has to do their part, and when you play teams stronger than you, even more so.  Everything has to go right to even have a chance.

If anything, the 3-5-2 in terms of limiting the opposition chances worked!  Trela e ?  I must be crazy.  And yet, how many clear cut chances did Schalke have ?  Only 1 (the 2nd goal).  The 1st goal and 3rd goal were nothing goals.  Just presents from Glykos (who to be fair has been good overall this season).  3-5-2 just means you're giving up space on the flanks to pack players into the middle.  I get it, not that I necessarily agree with it.  It's hard to say really.  If we played a normal 4-2-3-1 for all we knows Schalke would've sliced us down the middle half a dozen times and that's why Ivic packed the middle of the pitch.

The problem though with the system we played was that we were always hoping for some sort of miracle up front.  Your two up front have to be really good to apply pressure.  Mystakidis did his job.  Klaus what can I say.  He tried but it's just not enough.  Seriously, if you're Schalke are you going to be worried about a front two of these two players ?

On a side note, Canas would've been invaluable this game.

• Like it 2

Here are the players chosen by Ivic for this game:

Γλύκος, Μπρκιτς, Σιαμπάνης, Δεληγιαννίδης, Κίτσιου, Μαλεζάς, Κρέσπο, Πούγγουρας, Χατζηισαΐας, Σάκχοφ, Χαρίσης, Τσίμιροτ, Πέλκας, Μπίσεσβαρ, Μυστακίδης, Ενρίκε, Κάμπος, Ουάρντα, Κουλούρης, Αθανασιάδης

My lineup:

--Brkic--

--Kitsiou--Malezas--Crespo--Poungouras--

--Cimirot--Shakhov--

--Mistakidis--Warda--Henrique--

--Koulouris--

Reports are that Schalke will rest 6 to 7 starters tomorrow. Hopefully we can take advantage and get a positive result.I don't think we stand a chance of overturning the 3:0 deficit (although if you listened to Thessaloniki sports radio today you would think otherwise), but not losing and maybe squeezing out a win to help PAOK with UEFA coefficient points would be nice.

I wonder what formation Ivic will try. I can see him going with 3-5-2 again, but I think we will most likely see something like this:

--------------------- Glykos ---------------------
Kitsiou - Malezas - Crespo - Deligiannidis
---- Cimorot ------------------ Shakhov ------
Mystakidis ------  Warda ---------- Henrique
--------------------- Klaus ----------------------- 

Starting lineup:

------------------------ Glykos -------------------------
------- Poggouras ----- Malezas ----- Crespo -------
Kitsiou - Cimirot - Warda - Shakhov - Mystakidis
--------- Campos ----------------- Koulouris ---------

Lineup in a fancy UEFA graphic:

schalke.jpg.70a06510adb60057330d8889fc89a14e.jpg

UEFA claims a 4-3-3 formation, but in reality it is 3-5-2

BENCH: Brkic, Chatziisaias, Charisis, Henriqure, Biseswar, Pelkas, Athanasiadis

I am surprised that Henrique did not start. Also surprised about Koulouris getting a start.

• Lazarus changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 2: Schalke 04 - PAOK ( 22 Feb 2017, 19:00 EET )