Phantis Forums

EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

Blackhawk

PAOK.jpg.d1b79252d970c38fe0cde20e1aabda09.jpg  VS  Schalke04.jpg.e62ca51991087069e2363d4e52c4f1a4.jpg

MATCHUP:           PAOK Thessaloniki – Schalke 04
COMPETITION:    Europa League – Round of 32- Leg 1
DATE:                   16-February-2017
TIME:                    22:05 EET  (20:05 GMT, 14:05 CST, 07:05 AEDT next day)
CITY/STADIUM:   Thessaloniki - Toumba Stadium (28,703)
REFEREES:          Javier Estrada - Miguel Martínez, Teodoro Sobrino - Alejandro Hernandez, Ricardo De Burgos  (Spain)   
TELEVISION:        COSMOTE Sport TV (Greece), Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Soccer 2GO (USA), beIN Sports Connect (Canada)

PAOK's History against German teams in European Competitions

2015-2016:  Borussia Dortmund - PAOK  0:1   (Mak) - Att: 55,200 - Europa League (Group Stage - Round 6)
2015-2016:  PAOK - Borussia Dortmund   1:1   (Mak) - Att: 22,663 - Europa League (Group Stage - Round 2)
2013-2014:  PAOK - Schalke 04   2:3   (Athanasiadis, Katsouranis) - Att: no fans - Champions League (Playoff Round - Leg 2)
2013-2014:  Schalke 04 - PAOK   1:1   (Stoch) - Att: 52,444 - Champions League (Playoff Round - Leg 1)
2005-2006:  PAOK - VfB Stuttgard  1:2   (Karypidis) - Att: 21,479 - UEFA Cup (Group Stage - Round 2)
1982-1983:  Bayern Munich - PAOK   0:0  (9:8 penalty shootout) - Att: 57,000 - UEFA Cup (Round 2, Leg 2)
1982-1983:  PAOK - Bayern Munich  0:0 - Att: 28,446 - UEFA Cup (Round 2, Leg 1)
1981-1982:  PAOK - Eintracht Frankfurt  2:0 (4:5 penalty shootout) (Kostikos 2) - Att: 23,503 - Cup Winners Cup (Round 1, Leg 2)
1981-1982:  Eintracht Frankfurt - PAOK  2:0 - Att: 46,000 - Cup Winners Cup (Round 1, Leg 1)

GAMES:   9
WINS:       2
TIES:        4
LOSSES:  3

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

can't wait for this one. God i love when we get out of the group stage. Something about playing in Europe in February that just makes me feel funny on the inside. 

CRUCIAL that we do not concede in this game. Take a 0-0 to Germany and hit them on the counter. any goal we get at toumba is a bonus, the priority is not to CONCEDE. As we've seen in the past, copping away goals and poor results at home have cost us. We dont want to go to Germany chasing a score if we want to give ourselves the best shot at qualifying. 
Enrique will be key in this tie. 

5 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

can't wait for this one. God i love when we get out of the group stage. Something about playing in Europe in February that just makes me feel funny on the inside. 

CRUCIAL that we do not concede in this game. Take a 0-0 to Germany and hit them on the counter. any goal we get at toumba is a bonus, the priority is not to CONCEDE. As we've seen in the past, copping away goals and poor results at home have cost us. We dont want to go to Germany chasing a score if we want to give ourselves the best shot at qualifying. 

Enrique will be key in this tie.

Agree with everything you said.  Have you created a device that can read my mind ?  Are you from the ... future ?

I've taped the recent game Sandhausen vs Schalke 1:4, and have started watching it.  Got about 10 minutes in before I got interrupted so I'll check out some more later, but from what I can see Schalke looked very sharp with their passing and movement.  Similar to Ajax but a slight notch higher.  Having said that Sandhausen are a 2nd division team but even so I'd expect Schalke to have lots of possession and for us to be doing lots of running and covering space.  It's a shame Canas might be out as this is the sort of game we really need him.  Hopefully Enrique can fill the void left by Rodrigues and Biseswar can give Schalke some head aches.

It's interesting, if you have a look at http://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-schalke-04/spielplandatum/verein/33 you can see Schalke started off the season playing with 4 at the back and then beginning from the 23.10.2016 (that's 10.23.2016 for those crazy yankees that still talk in inches, yards, pounds, fahrenheit and whatever other crazy measurements they use) they switched to 3 at the back and have been playing that way ever since.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, Blackhawk said:

Fox Soccer Plus is a subscription channel at $ 15.99/month. Also on FoxSoccer 2GO

The return leg will be on Fox Sports 2 for free.

Thanks for telling me that about Fox Soccer Plus, didn't know it was a paid subscription. I will certainly watch the return leg, hopefully you guys can get a positive first leg result. 

Guys as much as i love paok and fesr no team as he passion paok brings out in you no club compares too. 

I just woke up very pessamistic this morning as schalke value is 200m ours is 40m. 

When we get happy about smacking xanthi they on other hand smacked hertha berlin -  their movement off the ball, final pass and overall play is way better than ours. 

So paokars good luck and bring us the kypello

I watched that match as well, they were very good. But Schalke has been all over the place this season. We're better than we were with Huub, and they aren't any better than they were then. And of course, this time we have a sold-out Toumba. My only immediate concerns for our lineup are how tired Varela might be, and how Klaus will play (especially with Henrique, who I'm going to assume he has little to no experience with).

We should also keep in mind all four players in our back line are sitting on two yellows. Any yellows in this match means we'll have to rotate...and possibly heavily.

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)