Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

Is the Play Off System A Good Idea?

Do you think the SL Play-Offs are a good idea?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep them?

• Yes, they are a good idea - we should keep the Play Off System
    • No, silly waste of time - we should end the Play Off System

For me it just weakens the SL. All a big team has to do is make 5th place and they know they can win the play-offs. If 5th place actually meant 5th place - I think the league would be far more competitive right up to the end.

Play off system is a joke, and makes all the hard work a team put in throughout the entire season pointless. I don't like it one bit.

1 hour ago, Pana97 said:

We can't beat Platanias no way will we be able to beat higher European teams. 

It truly is unfortunate for us Gavroi (and the league as a whole) to see how little the big teams like AEK and PAO have become. These walk in the park titles are not fun to watch...Alafouzos and Tigri need to do better for the sake of their fans and Greek soccer period.

yes..but its much easier and cheaper to blame a referee call in round 6  than to look at the real reason why your team is 25 pts behind at round 30

6 minutes ago, Amorgos said:

Tzatziki, you say it's unfortunate and it is, but corruption in favour of your club has brought this on, when there is such corruption it's hard to willingly invest in something that is basically rigged from the start with incompetent people at the helm.

I know file Amorge, this is not a secret on these boards or in the kafenia.

16 minutes ago, Amorgos said:

20 years of Champions League, coming as a result of league manipulation when the likes of AEK and PAO were strong makes this the result. Sheriff, easy to say that and bit rich when your club's dirty tactics have a big hand in the fall of your opponents.

Tzatziki, you say it's unfortunate and it is, but corruption in favour of your club has brought this on, when there is such corruption it's hard to willingly invest in something that is basically rigged from the start with incompetent people at the helm.

Greece been Greece has made the situation even worse, Oly is so far ahead of everyone it's ridiculous, the league is hardly fun or exciting anymore, added to poor form from AEK, PAO & PAOK and the crowds are not even there now, it's turning into one of the lamest seasons ever but you its stems from an unhealthy system

This is the strongest (financially) AEK have been in over 20 years ......AEK were very weak....and financially in tatters during the so called strong years..  1996-2008  (financial mess)....all created from internal issues

Also lets not forget PAO were making just as much money as we were from CL....In the era 1997-2007 when for many in the 'know' even on these boards here...the 'osfp corruption was supposedly at its worst'....

Greek society will always point towards 'corruption' when things don't go our way...

I recall the strong number of Aris fans on the previous site (some of whom were the most mature and intelligent) were panicking a few seasons back when Aris was on the brink of relegation....

they were coming out with conspiracy rumors every 5 minutes....  the most famous was :

'Word on the streets of Athens..the referees will crucify Aris v Tripolis in the upcoming game  as the powers want ARIS relegated."...as the week unfolded these conspiracy theories were getting stronger and bigger...

The result was a 5-0 win to Aris....Aris go on to win enough of the remaining games to avoid relegation....

when the dust settled..and Aris were once again in a mess...a few years later...I asked the most mature and intelligent Aris fan....who he genuinely believed was responsible for aris mess over the years...and what blame for aris problems is based on osfp/epo/paranga....

His response was that 95% of the problems aris has faced over the years are SELF INFLICTED!!!

A friend who used to work security at the old grounds in Filadelfia before it got demolished told me that Tigri will not put serious $$ into the club until he gets the stadium done.

There has been NO news on the stadium for a while now...

we need to keep in mind that many european leagues today have play off systems and different variations of it...

When all the top teams were strong file Amorge, do you believe that only Oly was corrupt? (honest question) I think corruption is without a doubt a factor, but not the only one. Olympiakos did always make big (and usually but not always the best ones). Do you think Vardis were squeaky clean? Or Big Mac was above bribing teams or officials? Corruption has played a big part, but it's not like it's the only reason things are the way they are today...what do you think? @Amorgos

Edited by Tzatziki

1 hour ago, RED SHERIFF said:

This is the strongest (financially) AEK have been in over 20 years ......AEK were very weak....and financially in tatters during the so called strong years..  1996-2008  (financial mess)....all created from internal issues

Also lets not forget PAO were making just as much money as we were from CL....In the era 1997-2007 when for many in the 'know' even on these boards here...the 'osfp corruption was supposedly at its worst'....

Greek society will always point towards 'corruption' when things don't go our way...

I recall the strong number of Aris fans on the previous site (some of whom were the most mature and intelligent) were panicking a few seasons back when Aris was on the brink of relegation....

they were coming out with conspiracy rumors every 5 minutes....  the most famous was :

'Word on the streets of Athens..the referees will crucify Aris v Tripolis in the upcoming game  as the powers want ARIS relegated."...as the week unfolded these conspiracy theories were getting stronger and bigger...

The result was a 5-0 win to Aris....Aris go on to win enough of the remaining games to avoid relegation....

when the dust settled..and Aris were once again in a mess...a few years later...I asked the most mature and intelligent Aris fan....who he genuinely believed was responsible for aris mess over the years...and what blame for aris problems is based on osfp/epo/paranga....

His response was that 95% of the problems aris has faced over the years are SELF INFLICTED!!!

This brings back memories. I remember back then I would watch about 2-3 SL games a week for betting purproses (bad habit - the odds were better back then though..:fitness-331191:).

I started to see all these threads about fixed games in the SL based on ref decisions favouring Olympiacos. So because I was watching all these games - I started to see terrible ref decisions across the league that no one was discussing because they were not Olympiacos related.. So every time someone posted something like ..'unbelievable.. only Olympiacos would get this decision..' or ''Only PAO/AEK/PAOK would get a yellow for that foul..'' - I would come in with an example of a worse refereeing decision that same week involving other SL teams.. I was usually met with silence or a 'but still..' argument.. Certainly wasn't a way to win popularity contests at the time but I couldn't resist!! :grin:

It is also interesting Aris are now asking the refs for 50/50 reffing today. I saw Tatos headbutt someone in an earlier round and not even a yellow.. I spose playing the victim is a way of survival. I really want Aris back in the SL so I don't mind so much. However I do believe Alafouzos built his castles on sand concentrating more on turning the media and judges against Olympiacos than making sure he had at least serviceable side at least as good as Xanthi or Panionios before launching his anti-Olympiacos mission.

in 1929 for the PAO V osfp derby they called in Italian refs...

that is nearly 90 years of the same bullshit...and corruption theories..

@amorgos

aek may have had a better team on paper in the 1997-2009 period than they do know...but financial mismanagement affects the players and therefore the results...

there is no coincidence that when PAO spent money 2004 and 2010 they won the double...we dropped the ball in 2010 and finished 5th.....you spend $$$ on players you win...

Us Greeks in the diaspora can be as equally 'greek' when discussing 'corruption theories' as our cousins in greece..we are not any better than them....sometimes even worse.

• Like it 1

1 minute ago, RED SHERIFF said:

in 1929 for the PAO V osfp derby they called in Italian refs...

that is nearly 90 years of the same bullshit...and corruption theories..

hs5ac.jpg

This s%$#! has just never ended! Greeks are hilarious sometimes. 

i recall at the same time of the 'aris Gate' conspiracy theories...

An Australian - Greek abused me because I would refuse to buy into his theory that the promotion and relegation battles were pre determined...

He had a reliable source that EPO..GSL  did not want 3 Cretan teams in GSL....(God knows what he based this on)  so the 'theory' was.....Ofi would not be promoted..If they were to be promoted Ergotelis and or platanias would be crucified...so the 'theory' would grow legs..

I asked him :

1) to reveal his source?

2) explain to me what EPO/GSL had to lose/gain by having 3 Cretan teams in GSL?

3) What is the end game?

I got no plausible answer..just rants..that turned into personal ABUSE...

A few weeks later the leagues finished.....

Ofi won promotion..ergotelis and platanias both remained in GSL....

The son broke the next day...and the NEW SEASON SAW 3 CRETAN TEAMS IN GSL....The world did not end..

I NEVER got an apology..nor an explanation..

Just now, Pana97 said:

And that's crazy considering the fact that besides these last few years Pao and Aek have had pretty good squads. PAO especially pulling off some huge wins. Aek even drew Real Madrid I believe? And somehow Oly won 18 outta 20?! No doubts from Oly fans at all? I doubt that highly.

AEK drew with Real 15 years ago.... but were broke at the time..

PAO won the league when they spent money...

22 minutes ago, RED SHERIFF said:

i recall at the same time of the 'aris Gate' conspiracy theories...

An Australian - Greek abused me because I would refuse to buy into his theory that the promotion and relegation battles were pre determined...

He had a reliable source that EPO..GSL  did not want 3 Cretan teams in GSL....(God knows what he based this on)  so the 'theory' was.....Ofi would not be promoted..If they were to be promoted Ergotelis and or platanias would be crucified...so the 'theory' would grow legs..

I asked him :

1) to reveal his source?

2) explain to me what EPO/GSL had to lose/gain by having 3 Cretan teams in GSL?

3) What is the end game?

I got no plausible answer..just rants..that turned into personal ABUSE...

A few weeks later the leagues finished.....

Ofi won promotion..ergotelis and platanias both remained in GSL....

The son broke the next day...and the NEW SEASON SAW 3 CRETAN TEAMS IN GSL....The world did not end..

I NEVER got an apology..nor an explanation..

You are bringing back so many memories now.

One comes to mind.. I remember one year being told Panionios would throw a their home game against Olympiacos and would not even try to win - just basically lie down for Olympiacos 'like they always do..' When I asked why - the poster explained it was because Panionios have been paid to go easy on Olympiacos - unlike with PAO and AEK - where they go all out... for the same reasons.. payment from Olympiacos..

I remember watching the game - Panionios players fighting to death - high challenges - boots in faces..kicking the living daylights out of Olympiacos players - I can't remember such a vicious game - it was as if Panionios were possessed - like out of the movie The Exorcist or something..You truly felt that the Panionios players felt that if they did not win the game - they and their families would be sold off into slavery as a punishment.. At one stage there was 3 Olympiacos players riling on the ground as a result of late sliding two-footed challenges..while Panionios players were crowding out the ref to make sure he didn't reach for the cards after each sliding challenge.. some which had gone in after the whistle was already blown.. I remember thinking.. wow - if Panionios have been paid to throw this game and give Olympiacos an easy ride - I think the message clearly has not got down to the players. It was one of the worst tempered affairs I have seen outside some of the big derbies. It was like a medieval battle down there - was just missing this guy to complete the vision of absolute mayhem.. 

fh_menu-conqueror_ncsa.jpg

2 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

I remember on GS.com the Aris fans for weeks using every decision and result as proof that the powers that be are determined to have Aris relegated - they started rattling off projected results and points totals...Aris was dead last at the time - in the end they went on a crazy streak at the end of the season and survived...not only that they even had quite a few questionable calls go their way- which they could not explain - or were explained as calls that are made "in every league , week in week out" 

Correction, they had some crazy questionable calls on the way to that spectacular reversal. You may remember I was the idiot showing clips of the unbelievable calls benefiting Aris to Aris and PAO fans. I think I soon became a persona non grata in their forum as a result. :fitness-787587: The irony being I made quite a bit of money off the Aris games and indeed did not want Aris to go down as I loved the passion of their home ground and to this day believe it massively benefits Greek football.

7 minutes ago, Pana97 said:

No I didn't. I said that we have not been that good in recent years. Not saying that you didn't deserve the title because of Real's 3-3, but look at what I posted Oly's CL that season of 02 where they finished last. PAO killed it that year in Europe and Oly win the title? I could understand if were talking about La Liga. Barca or Real two world class teams, but PAO was clearly the superior team in the early 2000's no debate about that. Better CL runs, the national team had majority Pao players that won the Euro etc. And if you saw my posts on the previous page I said that PAO has had it's fair share of not being squeaky clean either. What I am trying to say is that Oly are not a clean organization. And the fact that many Oly fans try to gloss over it by saying all teams are dirty is pretty comical. I have not seen an Oly member on this site ever come out clean and say "yes our team has had some shady calls go our way" without following it up with something like "but PAO was dirty too" I know PAO was dirty and I will always acknowledge that we had a dirty part of our history. The question is when will Oly fans do the same?

did you know that shortly  after the AEK draws v Real...

The AEK president sent bouncers to the premises of Demi and Tsiartas to intimidate them and their families....In order that they leave the club ..so as to not pay them their salaries...

perhaps these are the reasons the 'good AEK teams' could not win titles..

1 minute ago, RED SHERIFF said:

did you know that shortly  after the AEK draws v Real...

The AEK president sent bouncers to the premises of Demi and Tsiartas to intimidate them and their families....In order that they leave the club ..so as to not pay them their salaries...

perhaps these are the reasons the 'good AEK teams' could not win titles..

That was insane, remember it like yesterday, even the players were amazed and told the papers everything. Was simply a joke.

Just now, ThrylosG7 said:

we had the best midfield by far Djole, Rivaldo , Stoltidis which just dominated every game...but...whats the point in discussing payers and squads...and teams?? 

Remember the EPO was in Olympiacos' pocket? Except of course for Stoltidis - easily on the best midfielders of the time - who was ignored his entire career by the EPO - except for a token call when his legs were gone. :confused:

7 minutes ago, Amorgos said:

Because you guys are not man enough to admit how much your team is pushed to success. You guys will never admit it so not much point carrying on.

The teams of the mid 90's to say 2011 were pretty decent, late 90's early 00's I think the squads were even, derby games were played with incredible quality and speed, a pleasure to watch

I think you underestimate many at Olympiacos wanted a strong AEK, PAO and PAOK - to make the league strong and hence battle-ready us for Europe. I certainly wanted a strong SL - still do. Most Greeks are softies at heart.. (and this is coming from a man who has scars from fights in Greece). Even Marinakis wanted this and spoke more about this in his early days - PAO for example should have been relegated due to debt the way Aris and others were. The SL clubs took a vote (unprecidented) on whether PAO should be relegated as per the rules. I remember Marinakis voted in favour to keep PAO in the SL. I will never forget that. I remember at the time I posted the articles on the forum - and I was called some abusive names for my trouble.. Even the media down played it. Reported sure.. but nothing more.  

6 minutes ago, Pana97 said:

Wasn't Aek stripped of a league title allowing Oly to win it on paper?

Kalamaria played an illegible player ...they beat Oly 1-0...but because of playing an illegible player Kalamaria lost the game..we got the 3 points and a 3-0 win as per the rules of Football..

did AEK get stripped?  did we win the title on paper?

I say NO...

A third party played a player they should NOT have.....

2 minutes ago, RED SHERIFF said:

Kalamaria played an illegible player ...they beat Oly 1-0...but because of playing an illegible player Kalamaria lost the game..we got the 3 points and a 3-0 win as per the rules of Football..

did AEK get stripped?  did we win the title on paper?

I say NO...

A third party played a player they should NOT have.....

At the time many AEK and even PAO fans said Greece was on the only country in the world that would do this. I then quoted 10s of events across top leagues - across our gorgeous continent that is Europe - where illegal players being fielded has resulted in the result being made null and a 3-0 victory given to the legally fielded team. Queue the abuse for pointing this out.. as usual..

PAOK played Louka Loukas in a UCL qualifier in 2004...And copped the same punishment..

The Kalamaria case was open and shut case..CAS and UEFA saw it the same way...

the rest is for the kafeneio.