Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Winter 2016

pash

I recall pre season when I questioned the signings of Djalma and co. I was told to go jump..

PAOK made good money from Lucas transfer to Arsenal and the sale of Mak...and did not buy wisely, or spend any serious money..

The squad looks extremely poor to me....

no goals v  Qarabag over two legs....the team lacks true leaders and quality..

2 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

I recall pre season when I questioned the signings of Djalma and co. I was told to go jump..

PAOK made good money from Lucas transfer to Arsenal and the sale of Mak...and did not buy wisely, or spend any serious money..

The squad looks extremely poor to me....

no goals v  Qarabag over two legs....the team lacks true leaders and quality..

If you think we are extremely poor, I'd like to hear your opinion on the other teams in the GSL.

I'll summarise for you :-

1) Brkic GK - Bought to replace Glykos but unusually Glykos has been playing well.  Good backup to have nonetheless and if Glykos returns to his old ways or gets injured he is our main backup.  Not a waste of a transfer.

2) Crespo CB, LB - Bought to add depth to the defense.  Can play both CB and LB equally well.  Was our best player against Panionios last week.  Good transfer.

3) Varela CB - Bought to be the main CB along with Tzavellas.  Currently behind in the pecking order in my opinion.  Still has more to prove his worth.  50/50 on this one.  Was the only guy we paid money for at 1.4 million.

4) Matos RB - great transfer.  Two levels above Skondras and Kitsiou.

5) Canas DM - good transfer.  Clearly the best DM in the squad.

So far I have covered mainly defensive positions.  Our defense has been awful the last few seasons and very inconsistent.  So far this season the defense has definitely tightened up.  Olympiakos has the best defense in the league statistically at 4 goals conceded.  PAOK has 2nd best at 5 goals conceded.  I believe all of the above transfers were solid with the possible exception of Varela who it's still a bit too early to judge.  His man marking is good but his positioning seems a bit off.

6) Shakhov DM/CM - 50/50 on this one.  He's just ok.  Nothing special at all.  End of the day if you're playing 2 in the middle Canas and Cimirot are the best.  Shakhov is ok for squad rotation.  Does lots of running without being exceptional.  Doesn't really add anything to the squad but not terrible either.

7) Biseswar ACM - Technically 2 levels above most players in the squad.  Can't play 2 games in a row.  Massive fitness issues.  Good signing overall but not a player to base a season on since the only thing you can guarantee about him is that he won't be able to play all the time.  You have to treat him with kid gloves.

8) Djalma RW - the special one.  Can dribble but can't score.  Showed his potency and stupidity against Olympiakos.  Still I don't think we have better in his position.  Overall, not a good signing.  Not because of how he plays, but because of the hype that he is the next Mak and because of the fact he is the highest paid player.  No hype and half the wage and we'd be happy to have him for squad depth.

9) Thiam - pointless so far.

And there you have it.  Basically the only proper attacking threat up front that is semi consistent is Rodrigues.

Djalma, Biseswar and Klaus, what you get each week depends on what sacrifice you made to the gods.  If they all happen to be fit and in form we wouldn't have problems up front.  But that is a pipe dream.  Ain't going to happen.

The team has improved a lot in the back 3rd and in the middle 3rd in my opinion.  In the attacking 3rd there is little creativity other than Rodrigues going on his mazy runs.  Nullify him and you've killed half our game.  The rest are bereft of ideas on a consistent basis.

The greek boys Pelkas, Charisis, Mystakidis, Korovesis overall very disappointing.  Complacent almost.

The squad needs firepower up front.  As simple as that.  Biseswar and Djalma are not players to win you games week in week out.

• Like it 1

There is a news story today on Metrosport that Ivan has decided to sell Klaus. Not sure if this is a true story, or just a planted one to create a buzz for the next two weeks, when they will not have anything to write about since there won't be any games played.

• 2 weeks later...

We have Leovac for LB.  And Crespo, Tzavellas, Korovesis for backup.  I don't see a reason to get another LB unless it's a clear upgrade on Leovac which is unlikely.  Leovac hasn't been anything special this season, unlike say Matos, but he hasn't been bad either.  Just average I would say.  Although, the media love to rip into Leovac, because apparently, they know what they're talking about.

51 minutes ago, PAOKSYD said:

Drop 6m and buy babacar. dont tell me it carnt happen pay and u receive ask the chinese

Should have happened preseason. Now no point. . . Aim will be to once again "win" the playoffs and pretend we achieved something. . . Don't need to spend much for that 

1 hour ago, Reaper said:

4 points above the relegation zone.

Need you in Europe next season for co-eff points, can't rely on PAO and AEK.

Any big transfers hinted at by Savvidis so far this winter? Any transfers on the cards at all?

In and of itself, it's a terrible league position.

In terms of qualifying for the play-offs, no stress.  5 points from that.  And we'll probably win that too.  Just another typical season for PAOK.  New manager, new batch of players, unrealistic expectations.  Expect more of the same.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Pana97 said:

I prefer PAO stay away from Europe next season. Park can make it, Oly will and I think AEK will too. 

From the selfish point of view of Greece getting points, PAO needs to be in Europe.  We are barely treading with Oly, PAOK, PAO and AEK as it is.  AEK will have it tough again next season as they will be in the pot of "weaker" teams and will have to have luck and a prepared team just to get through the qualifiers.  Their hiatus from Europe for a number of years has cost them points.

1 hour ago, Bananas said:

From the selfish point of view of Greece getting points, PAO needs to be in Europe.  We are barely treading with Oly, PAOK, PAO and AEK as it is.  AEK will have it tough again next season as they will be in the pot of "weaker" teams and will have to have luck and a prepared team just to get through the qualifiers.  Their hiatus from Europe for a number of years has cost them points.

Unless there are drastic changes at AEK we wont be in Europe next season the way we are currently and if we do get there it will need to be a very nice draw in our favour. In saying that if we had the new players we signed (lazaros chrygrynsky lescott patito - wasn't fit) in our squad against St Etienne we would've been in Europa.

2 hours ago, Pana97 said:

PAO being in Europe won't get Greece any points. The club has lost its philosophy. The last time they won in Europe I was in my second year of High School..... I am in my second year of college now.....Better chance of other Greek teams getting a shot at Europe tbh. PAO need to sort our front offices out...and get a new owner. 

New owner, front office, squad aside, PAO got a very very unlucky draw this season.  Not one team in that group was easy.  At to PAO's credit for an essentially new team they played well for long periods in most games.

1 hour ago, Original Sydney said:

Unless there are drastic changes at AEK we wont be in Europe next season the way we are currently and if we do get there it will need to be a very nice draw in our favour. In saying that if we had the new players we signed (lazaros chrygrynsky lescott patito - wasn't fit) in our squad against St Etienne we would've been in Europa.

Spot on.  The St Etienne draw was a tough one, but it's just as likely it could happen again.  AEK need a bit of luck with the draw to get an easier team, and again a bit more luck in the EL Group Stage so they can accumulate some points, so they can hopefully avoid these sorts of qualifying games in the future.  Regarding the squad depth, there is nothing to say that key players will be fit and in-form.  Meli needs to plan ahead a bit better just in case.  End of the day, I don't expect AEK to qualify for EL Group Stage next season based on the situation right now.  I mean, I'm not confident.