Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

28 October - Oxi Day

Well these were the main pictures on all the sites. The Afghan lead the parade. Just a reality now I spose. 

However how cool was the Zeus display pilot? :57bb19ec8e254_haveaniceday:

1 hour ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Instead of having a Greek child carry the flag

For all you know the child might well be Greek...

She might even be more Greek than you in a sense. She actually lives in Greece and not in Australia.

If we are talking about the main flag bearer in the parade with the hijab - she is a student from Afghanistan. The Education Minister (who denied the Greek Genocide this year) selected her as the main flag bearer I believe as a symbol of 'anti-fascism.'

Here is the link about her:

http://en.protothema.gr/student-parade-with-hijab-wearing-flag-bearers-videos-photos/

para2-300x200.jpg

1 hour ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Being born in Greece does not automatically make you Greek 

So, what makes you Greek?  Is it what's in your heart and your head?

Like wanting to carry the flag of your country?

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Pana97 said:

Being ethnically Greek, having actual Greek DNA, relatives and ancestors tracing back to the country etc. 

(my reply goes to all the smart, superior people above)

So, I guess you're buying into the theory that somehow DNA or your ethnicity makes you a Greek?  So, DNA has the memory of the ancestors? What kind of bunk is this? Or, is it genetic and racial superiority?  Purity of the race? Purity of the ethnicity?   Seriously, dudes?

I guarantee you, if any of the ultra-nationalists here were taken at birth and placed in Albania or FYROM, or Russia, you'd grow up as one of those people and be proud that you're a Slav or whatever. Your DNA or your god-blessed blood that you think makes you special by birth wouldn't matter. Can't you see it?....

What matters is what's in your brain. Those who adapt the culture and want to be citizens of a country are, in my humble opinion, more worthy patriots, because it's by choice, than those who, by accident of birth, are given the Greekness (or whatever else). Most evils against Greece have come from Greeks who have had this special DNA and oh-so-great ethnicity.  Those people whom you seem to hate--like the SYRIZA gov--are born Greeks. Isn't that ironic?  

It's not a leftist rainbow attitude, or whatever crap you're trying to throw at those who find your fascist views appalling. Rather, it's common human decency to accept these kids that want to be Greek citizens and march in a patriotic parade. Shame on you.

Edited by Hudson
  • Like it 1

You guys contradict yourselves even within one post, and you connect irrelevant items to piece your argument....

You say, look at those refugees who don't want to be Greek.....so? I was talking about those who by choice want to be Greek citizens, regardless of them listening to laika. Which, by the way, also shows that the definition of being Greek is not yours alone to make!

I could argue that that kind of definition and attitude is in line with the most ignorant extreme nationalism, usually of a country and people in decline. Whatever dudes, keep telling yourselves that your special DNA remembers the glory days....:1eye:

Further, if other countries applied your standard of what it means to be a ******** (insert country here) you should be kicked out of your country of residence right now.:characters-863083:

14 hours ago, Pana97 said:

having actual Greek DNA

Your own DNA might not even be mostly Greek, have you done a test to see?

• Like it 1

14 hours ago, OlympicHellas said:

Ζήτω η 28η Οκτωβρίου Ζήτω η Ελλάδα

:king-741814:

Edited by Tzatziki

32 minutes ago, Tzatziki said:

Your own DNA might not even be mostly Greek, have you done a test to see?

Please, you're about to burst their bubble of ignorance. Sorry, scratch that. Their thick skulls are impervious to anything new coming in. I guess their DNA has fortified their ignorance.

Or, without realizing what they're saying, they might say:  it matters how you feel. Duh. hahhaa

By the way, if I were the emperor of the Balkans, I'd make everyone do a DNA test!   And, then ask everyone, how come your DNA didn't remind you who you are?

Judging from their replies (here and in other threads), their tribalistic brains are high on their own bullsh*t. DNA talking?:1eye:

Edited by Hudson

I'm ambivalent about the flag carrier picture.  On the one hand I think, yeah, it's the 21st century, and the fact is the world is a much more open place than what it used to be compared to 20, 50, 100 years ago.  Maybe it's not such a bad thing.  Maybe it's just the way the world is today.  Immigration, if done "correctly", can genuinely improve a country.

One thing that struck me when I visited Greece in the mid 90's was how "Greek" it was.  There was no diversity at all.  Well, except for Albanians and Russian Pontians.  And I don't necessarily think this is a good thing.  Some diversity helps.  It's hard to quantify but I just feel like it does.

But then I understand what some other posters are saying as well.  That with a small population like Greece's you need to be careful because if you allow rampant immigration, especially of Muslims who do have a much harder time "assimilating" (they just do), it can cause massive social problems.

Ultimately, I don't see having zero immigration as a realistic option.  Not with our place in the EU and even if we weren't in the EU, I think some immigration can be good.  The question though is how much, and who.

Edited by Bananas

4 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Lord Byron was more Greek than all of us here - yet he was completely English - and of course most of the politicians who also happen  to be  Greek unfortunately... deserve to be hung for treason.

+1000

Why don't you go ahead and take a DNA test?... The fact that you "feel" Greek actually proves my point.

You're committing several logical fallacies in just 2 paragraphs. Want another challenge? Take those paragraphs and bring them to your history professor and see what he says.... Please do it.  What you're saying here, the way you frame your argument, would not pass as a coherent and informed statement in college! Seriously, why don't you show this to your history professor. Also, ask them about ethnicity and why people feel the way they do. Ask them what he meant by "we have a Greek" here....

You've got lots to learn still, but only if you really want to and don't trap your mind in an airtight small box.

5 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

They want o be Greek citizens because it gives them the perks of being EU citizens - just because they want to be Grek citizens does not mean that they will benefit Greek society in a positive way. 

..........Like I said before its all nice when you write down fairy tales on paper however like always Communism does not work in the real world ...

If you somehow think your long posts disproves what I said, well.... I say, whatever dude.

Yes, people want benefits. This is how the modern state was formed. People saw that the'd be better off if they enlarged their allegiance from tribal to citizenship. Patriotism and nationalism followed. You're evidence of that. Learn some history first and talk later.

Those who felt Greek, like Lord Byron and those who fought for Greek Independence, were more "Greek" than those (like some Souliotes) who threatened to kill him when he was in his death bed because he hadn't paid them (yes, he paid them to fight the Ottomans). 

Anyone who feels he/she has a stake in a country is an asset. They're more motivated too, like Greek immigrants everywhere (from big to small countries).

here are my DNA test results regarding ancestry

all the 1's are close relatives

as we can see the majority of concentration is in greece

the one's that are in other countries are most likely relatives that have moved to these countries, and had families there

there may be other scenarios as well

when i zoom in, you really see relatives concentrated near both places my parents are from

the most intriguing part about this test was that they flagged 3 medical conditions that run in my family

ex one is an elevated risk of :    ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANEURYSM

j8vklsH.pngk8rAJ0g.png

there is one thing missing though .... they didn't find me pissing metaxa ...but tsipouro instead

• Like it 1

Or, the most wrong also feel they're the most right. 

So, a driver gets onto a highway but on the wrong side. Soon he sees a car coming "against" traffic and curses the idiot. But many more cars are coming his way.... He turns the radio on and he hears an emergency alert that there's someone who's driving against the traffic on the highway so everybody should exercise extreme caution. Whereas this driver curses out the radio announcer..., what the hell are you talking about, it's not one person, there are ...hundreds of them going against the traffic today!

:grin:

14 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

Don't waste your time re. Only on a Greek forum would you see Greeks pissing on their own nationality. Political correctness has gone too far everywhere.

Let them go see for themselves the mess Greece is in. Can barely look after themselves, let alone others. As has been mentioned zero immigration is impossible, hence why I don't mind us helping the Syrians. The others are considerably better off already and seek further benefits.

This thread is fast losing its purpose of commemorating 28th of October...

Keep piling up the ignorant statements...

PC means to go along with popular meme, along with majorities who feel they can't be offended.... like you.

The Syrians are the better off and the others are worse off. But I wouldn't expect you to know this. Of course all seek a better life, like Greeks did when they left the Civil War, starvation, or whatever else, and went to other countries.

This is a great thread for discussing what the "OXI" means and relevant topics.

Did I mention that you guys have not specifically addressed with rational aguments a single point I've made but instead uttered some PC banalities and incoherent generalities. You're so naked in your arguments because you haven't thought about this (or anything else) seriously. You're operating on feelings. You'd be probably be jihadists under Daesh.

On 29/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, Pana97 said:

What a joke. You're one of those people that try to spin everything with your politically corrrect BS spewing racial superiority as a means to gain some sort of ground. News flash, your DNA does identify your ancestral background, I am 100 percent confident that if I took a DNA test it would find that I am Greek. Go spew your leftist BS to someone else. 

My last name also dates back to an ancient Greek king btw. So I must have some sort of Greek blood in me. Which makes me GREEK. My History professor saw my last name the forst day of class and said, "nice, I have a Greek in my class you know you have the same name as an ancient Greek king?" Should I have said "nah I feel Romanian today Professor." I can just change who I am whenever I want that's amazing. I think I will be German tommorow. 

I'm sure you know that the Turks had us under their thumb for a minute, many Greeks have DNA that is not 100%, but in any case being Greek is something that is very relative and means different things to different people, that is why the whole discourse is a bit pointless sometimes.

At the time of the Greek revolution, most Greeks, uneducated peasants/shepherds, serfs in a feudal system, did not know of their Hellenic heritage. They had to be re-educated during and after the revolution. It was the Greeks abroad, part of the western educated elite and the phil-Hellenes that sparked and guided the rebirth of Hellenic civilization. Up to a point of course, because first many of those who fought for the revolution against the Ottomans didn't even speak Greek. Their common glue was religion and an economic interest to grab as much as they could from a withering Ottoman empire. Oh, and the Church had done its best to wipe out Hellenic civilization, since it thought it was an anathema to xtian values.

Of course, all people in the Balkans, Asia Minor, and elsewhere mixed as they inter-married. The Akrites did so even more. The last Byzantine "emperor" Palaiologos was 50% Slav (his mother).

Oh, the humanity.... shut up you leftie traitor... (me hears the natives being restless)

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

I'm sure you know that the Turks had us under their thumb for a minute, many Greeks have DNA that is not 100%, but in any case being Greek is something that is very relative and means different things to different people, that is why the whole discourse is a bit pointless sometimes.

That's precisely my point: you are what you feel and think. All the rest is bunk in my opinion. Your DNA or blood don't have memory of culture, ideas, beliefs, attitudes. Who you are, besides the basics of human nature, is the result of your environment, which includes family, culture, education, and own feelings.

• Like it 3

No such thing as a Greek. You can either define it as 'Greek citizen' or lineage from somebody with 'Greek citizenship'

Ιδίως για αυτούς εδώ μέσα που ούτε γράφουν, ούτε διαβάζουν Ελληνικά. Το να βγαίνουν και να προσποιούνται ότι είναι Έλληνες, είναι προσβολή για αυτούς που είναι Ελληνες πολίτες.

Ελληνο-Καναδός, Ελληνο-Αυστραλός, Ελληνο-Αμερικάνος - τρώγεται. Επ' ουδενί όμως «Ελληνας». 

But you little fuhrers are looking for an identity. Sort of like the Skopjeans that you much despise.

It's not in your blood, it's not in your DNA. It's not even in your head since you don't know what being Greek is all about. Can't read, can't write, can't even speak proper Greek, and you think you have anything in common with the 10 million inhabitants of Greece - the real Greeks. Give me a break.

Your heritage is basically Greek-Orthodox. Religion based. Those are some of the customs that you are familiar with. But that doesn't make you Greek. Greek-Jews have different customs. Greek-Armenians also. But yet they are Greeks. You?  Greek-Canadian, Greek-Australia, Greek-Orangutan maybe.. Just to show that you have a fading relationship with those that live in Greece. You think you are Greek? Ha! Don't make me laugh. Just because you can pronounce the word τζατζίκι (which of course you can't read) doesn't make you Greek. Being Greek is more than a few selective customs that you might celebrate. People from the Northern part of Greece have different traditions than the people of the South. Yet they are considered Greek. You know what they have in common? Citizenship! Being Greek means you are active in determining the future of a people. All you do is talk about the past and what has been -as you think- bestowed upon you: the privilege of being called a Greek.. Talk about things that appeal to your deprived image of self-worth!  You think yourselves as Spartans (probably). Ha. How idiotic is that? A spoiled brat sitting in the comfort of his mommy's home thinks that he has many things in common with somebody born in 300 BC? 

Edited by JimAdams
  • Like it 1

Some nice points @JimAdams even if you've probably managed to rile up some posters.  The question of how to define "being Greek" is in the eyes of the beholder.  Ask 10 people and you'll get 11 opinions.

who is really greek ... you can argue

but the descendants of the greek tribes share DNA and science proves that