Phantis Forums

Holebas Stops With Greece National Team!

Greekaroos

10 hours ago, GrkCdn22 said:

Holebas was good in qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, but not spectacular.

After that atrocious first game, most of us were calling for his head.

Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.

you mentioned people trash him because he was an osfp player...

they trash him also for not being full Greek, not speaking Greek, and being a Catholic...

let them now enjoy...Tzavellas and staf....?? good luck to them..both are half the player Lloyd is...

as far as LB goes..staf has the spot now for a decade...   I'd like to see how Lykogiannis would go..He is a regular at Sturm Graz.

I'm disappointed by Holevas' decision as I feel that we are weak at the LB position (Tzavellas might previously have been a serviceable option but is declining fast and Staf is still very inconsistent). That said, I don't think this is a huge loss. Quite frankly, I've always felt that Holevas was a liability in the back. I still remember the shocking displays against Poland and Czech Republic at Euro 2012 and him getting abused by Cuadrado of Colombia in 2014. I'm not saying he hasn't had good games for us and his offensive capabilities are certainly nothing to sneeze at, but he's not exactly a world-beater either. I can't say I've followed him too closely since those tourneys and maybe he has improved his play with Watford; but at 32 and with a questionable commitment to the cause, I think the team will survive his departure. 

On 10/17/2016 at 7:32 PM, ThrylosG7 said:

It was just like the Czech game in 2004 - I remember they missed chance after chance...in fact we rode our luck in all 3 games when it comes to missing chances...

Nedved coming off injured around the 30th minute or whatever it was, in my opinion, made all the difference.  At the time, he was at his peak as a footballer, and what a great footballer he was.  That really was a great Czech team.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Bananas said:

Nedved coming off injured around the 30th minute or whatever it was, in my opinion, made all the difference.  At the time, he was at his peak as a footballer, and what a great footballer he was.  That really was a great Czech team.

If you rewatch the highlights to all those matches, yes Greece was fortunate that their oponents didn`t bury a number of good chances, but we missed our fair share of opportunities as well. Every team that goes all the way in a major tournament needs the ball to bounce their way. 

Edited by Argy