Phantis Forums

Estonia vs. Greece (10 October 2016, A Le Coq Arena, Tallinn)

Omonoia9

Mantalos will just play in Fortounis place at CAM, hopefully Gianniotas/Karelis get a spot on the wings now that Mantalos will be in the center. 

Crucial game, at the end of qualifying its these tricky away games that will determine who will finish where. 

They put 4 past Gibraltar which is the same as the amount we did. We should win but will have to dig deep, I'm guessing they will sit back and play on the counter.

For the Estonia match without Samaris, Fortounis & Tzavellas out injured.

------------------Karnezis-----------------

------Manolas---Kyriakos---Sokratis---

Toro---Maniatis---Tachtsidis---Holebas

Gianiottas----------------------Mantalos

------------------Mitroglou---------------

Without Fortounis or Ninis they lack creativity in the playmaker roll in the middle of the park, therefore you play to the strengths of what you have available & with the above team or something similar Greece will be very strong in set pieces like corners with Kyriakos, Sokratis & Manolas Estonia will struggle to score from corners & pooh their pants every corner or set pieces Greece get. With Maniatis in the midfield you know he will hunt down any Estonian attacking options, win those 50/50 battles allowing Tachtidis to be more creative in attack or the wing backs can push forward with piece of mind that Maniatis will cover. 

Greece can not have both Tziolis & Maniatis. Two defensive midfielders limited in attack is a mistake & if you pick one you go for Maniatis as Tziolis not only lacks creativity in attack but shows no urgency in defense.

Prediction Estonia 0 Greece 1

Edited by Greekaroos

Playing 90 minutes against Cyprus would of benefit him a lot & yes as much as he lacks in creativity in attack as a individual he is very important to the chemistry of the team as shown since his return to the team in the match against the Netherlands after almost a year out with injury. 

Yes I'm reading the same here.

That was Rehhagel's eventual downfall and if Skibbe thinks he can repeat what his German compatriot achieved by selecting players like Tziolis and Maniatis who are deemed not worthy to play for their clubs then he will learn soon enough how shortsighted and doomed to failure this approach is.

Time will tell all. Even if there are wins against a poor Estonia and average Bosnia it's obvious that you must select the best and in-form players and not go with Charisteas as a right midfielder when he's not at a club.

Edited by Akritis_1944
Typo

If Skibbe has the option to call up players then why not use it? Is he that closed minded? Does he not see what everyone else sees? If he plays Maniatis and Tziolis in this match then I'm truly at a loss for words. Right now with Fortounis out would be a great opportunity to call up Ninis and even bring him off the bench at some point and see what he can offer. Let's see what he decides but this Coach is really looking like a yes man with no eye for talent.

• Like it 2

10 hours ago, Greekaroos said:

Without Fortounis or Ninis they lack creativity in the playmaker roll in the middle of the park, therefore you play to the strengths of what you have available & with the above team or something similar Greece will be very strong in set pieces like corners with Kyriakos, Sokratis & Manolas Estonia will struggle to score from corners & pooh their pants every corner or set pieces Greece get. With Maniatis in the midfield you know he will hunt down any Estonian attacking options, win those 50/50 battles allowing Tachtidis to be more creative in attack or the wing backs can push forward with piece of mind that Maniatis will cover. 

Greece can not have both Tziolis & Maniatis. Two defensive midfielders limited in attack is a mistake & if you pick one you go for Maniatis as Tziolis not only lacks creativity in attack but shows no urgency in defense.

Prediction Estonia 0 Greece 1

Another episode of NiNisLand

I expect just Mantalos to go CAM who is if not equally but also a very good attacking midfielder. So his spot probably gets left for Gianniotas. I also expect  Holebas starting over Tzavellas. These are the only changes I expect. Bad thing no player got called instead of Diamantakos and Fortounis and Tzavellas , but I think it's also disrespectful for a player to call him only when the ones you had planned calling for these matches are unable to play.

The problem you guys dont really understand is that Tachtsidis good vision and high balls must be accompanied with fast wingers. Without Karelis and Gianniotas Tachtsidis just throws a ball in open areas where noone can really chase. Maybe we do see a totally different line up with Gianniotas Karelis and Tachtsidis finally making his official debut under skibbe.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

1 hour ago, tantra129 said:

I don't agree that he needs wingers. I would say he does need players with high football iq that can predict where he will send his through ball with his great vision. 

Guys it's simple. Players with these capabilities don't come along every day. We should use it to our advantage. Skibbe is wrong on this aspect. 

Now its Skibbe, before it was Markarian and Tsanas, before all of them it was Fernando Santos. It can't be that everyone is wrong. It doesnt have to be the player, it might be the chemistry.

I don't believe there is a need to call up 3 players...

there is a need to play the right players in the right positions..

Lloyd at LB

Taxi at CM

Mandalos as no.10

Giannotas out wide..

With Karelis,Bakasetas,Mitro, Vellios in the squad Diamantakos is covered.

With Lloyd and Staf  - Tzavellas is covered.

With Mandalos - Fortounis..

expected line up.

------------------------------karnezis--------------------------

torosidis--------manolas-------sokratis---------stafylidis

---------------------maniatis-----kyriakos--------------------

--gianniotas------------mantalos----------------holebas--

---------------------------mitroglou-----------------------------