Phantis Forums
Reaper

Is Zeca Good Enough For The Greek National Team?

Is Zeca good enough for the Greek NT?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Zeca for the NT?

• Yes, he will be a welcome addition.
    • No, he is not good enough.

I would never ever ever, leave Samaris out and play Zeca, even if Samaris had two broken legs. Zeca is not even close skill wise.

• Like it 1

I would also never choose Zeca over Samaris, Tachtsidis or even Maniatis. I hope that he doesn't play for us it will be disappointing if he does.

1 hour ago, RED SHERIFF said:

Retsos ..is a CD......

Androutsos and manthiatis are nowhere near ready.....they don't get regular game time in GSL..

We saw how 'ready' much more experienced and mature players have been in the past.  Bakasetas, Vellios, Tassoulis, Zaradoukas, Dinas, Aravidis,Diamantakos...etc etc....all proved to be way off NT standard..

For Greek standards they all should be given a chance. Angelopoulos for Iraklis is a good player in my opinion fast, good stamina, and works hard. Siopis is another but he is a bit too short for when it counts like in corners or clearences. 

Kourbelis has been good for a while now, has he been tried out at the NT?

Retsos, Androutsos, Manthiatis have potential....they are only 18....

Never heard of angelopoulos ....Siopis lack of size is the major worry...

we need to accept that as of December 2016....Samaris, Taxi are our best CM/DCM...Level superior than any of the options we are discussing..

Kourbelis??

Who knows?  12 months ago..It was all about petsos, bakasetas, vellios, aravidis......they all proved so far to be way below par..

Aravidi Bakaseta Vellios do not play Zeca's position....

And just because they did not click right away does not mean they have no place. It takes time for some players.

I'd rather start Samaris and Tachtsidis over him. We also have Petsos, and Maniatis. He would offer slightly more depth but he wouldn't be a game-changer. Rather just keep the team greek unless it's a no-brainer.

• Like it 1

It also shows we can't produce any of our own Midfielders. It looks bad on a country like us with a population of 11 million. Zeca is not even that good. He is no different to Maniatis. 

What a waste.. Skibbe should be looking at our other options and bench problems rather then wasting his time and energy with this below average hot head.

why risk calling up this guy who regularly is getting yellow and red cards. but with the current people in charge im not shocked if he will get the call.

I am against naturalising players with no Greek heritage whatsoever to be frank.

They would have to be an absolute world beater to sway me otherwise, which Zeca is definitely not.

I'm not saying he is a bad player though, I've always liked him at PAO for his energy and passion, but even at PAO he is nothing spectacular.

• Like it 2

Rather than just say a Simple no, why don't we look at what else we have in the NT so far? Im not saying what we have in GREECE ,as some will misread my comment and propose another player who has not been called yet. 

Midfielders called under Skibbe:

Samaris, worthy of a call up at least, bad appearances with the NT so far, terrible vs Gibraltar, Terrible against Bosnia, we only condeced once because Sokratis and Kyriakos are too good to be true. He was given 4 starting games, was nothing special and should be a lot better to justify his wages and the team he represents.

Tziolis, I don't really need to say anything.

Maniatis. No team, his physical has been degrading since september due to no serious playtime. I think he was even disallowed training with the Olympiakos team, which means he has been training on his own. Hasn't even hustled to find even an average russian team(as there were mentions that they were interested for him) to play at. Is probably waiting for Bento to get sent awayarrow-10x10.png and rejoin the Olympiakos squad. Amateur thinking. As logn as he doesnt find a team in this transfer period he should also not be called again.

Petsos. No gametime in Werder, maybe less than 200 minutes whole season. The team is going terribly, so the fact that the manager doesnt even decide to experiment and throw Petsos at the starting line-up means something bad for the player.

Siopis. Yes, he is good, but he was called as an extra, wasnt consideredarrow-10x10.png in the starting 23 call-ups. Probably the size.

Tachtsidis. A true modern regista, defensive midfielder with lots of creativity, needs fast wingers who want the ball at open space to work perfectly. Guess which team doesn't use proper wingers ? Alright , to save you time, its the Greek NT. We only have Gianniotas as a winger, and Skibbe doesnt seem very fond of him, or simply WANTS Mantalos to be a starter. And to be fair, Mantalos deserves to be a starter, so I would not judge Skibbe for that. Problem with Tachtsidis is that he is very slow, and that's why Maniatis is used on his stead. Yes Kara was slow in his last years but we didn't expect any running from him. A slow 6 in modern football means the opposite transition from defencearrow-10x10.png to offence becomes easy, there is noone to block a through ball, because even if he predicts it, he can't mark/cut on time. 

So , you peoplearrow-10x10.png call Zeca a bad option. To be fair. Zeca is just another Maniatis, but with a brain. All he does at Paoarrow-10x10.png is run up and down the field marking, passing,making smart fouls etc. It is obvious that Skibbe needs such a player in the midfield, and it has worked quite good so far, considering we ve conceded just 2 goals. Yes the teams we faced are really nothing super strong, but you are all forgetting what was happening 2-3 years ago, in a much easier group. Be thankful for what you have.

So I expect Zeca to be the Maniatis substitution in the starting 11. And that can only be an upgrade, just from the fact that a) Maniatis has no team b) Zeca has managed to make good appearances and earn the respect of PAO fans, playing in a far inferior team than Maniatis does.

Sum up: A Zeka-Samaris-Fortounis midfield with Tachtsidis cameos is probably what we are gonna see in the upcomming matches.

• Like it 1

Rockafeller you are right. You are right where you say Zeca is another Maniatis with a brain. But come on re file you cant want a xeno representing your patrida. He might a bit better than Maniatis and he also might not be. He is no Ronaldinho or Cambiasso. Us Greeks have been defending our country many times in history by many invaders and yet we always come through. Our language is still the same, our culture is still the same our DNA is still the same. 

What i am saying is our identity as Greeks is pure. There is no influences of other countries in our DNA, unlike other countries. Im not just saying this to you but i am saying this to everyone and im saying what i feel about this situation. I sound proud, passionate and patriotic because we are heroes not just to our own country but to the world because we have given so much to this world were every country is envious of us.

We've got a coach who is clueless and who is also a xeno trying to call up another xeno to our national team. Santos was lucky with the Holebas call up because he is half. But this should not happen. Just because other countries are doing it doesn't mean we have to do it. 

Edited by Dean97

14 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

To be fair. Zeca is just another Maniatis, but with a brain. All he does at Paoarrow-10x10.png is run up and down the field marking, passing,making smart fouls etc.

If Zeca was the player you described I would lay the red carpet down myself. Unfortunately,  the many many games I have seen him play,  he does not fit the description you just made imo. He is one of the major reasons weak super league sides trash PAO at home and away consistently.   What you said that rings true is the running up and down the field.  He does do this -  every game.  However that is all.  His passing is atrocious -  he often passes behind or too far in front of players destroying momentum and it is rare you see a game where Zeca doesn't pass the ball out of play by accident at least once. His fouling and ref harassment is not tactical,  it is emotional. Milivojevic is an example of a smart fouler.  Zeca just has a scatter-gun approach to fouling and his many cards of both colours reflect that. I also don't agree with the comparison to Maniatis.  Maniatis is far slower than Zeca and far less active on the field,  but they both share weak footballing brains and average technique that allows cheap super league midfielders from nothing teams to overrun them both.  Having said that it has been agreed behind closed doors Zeca will be in the NT so whatever we say is useless.  The media too is desperate for Zeca to join the NT so it is a done deal. So it is best we come to terms with it. 

As for Siopis,  usually when we play we concede the midfield early in the game. He is someone who can help stop that.  For me his height doesn't really matter, because we are a very tall side already. 

This move is unecessary. He is average and no better than any of our starting midfielders. Players like Zeca are a dime, a dozen. No he will take a spot for a Greek player who is just as good. 

The ONLY way I would embrace a foreigner playing for my country is if he chose to play for us, unlike Zeca, who settled for Greece, because he couldn`t cut it for Portugal. This is our National Team, not a club. Very disappointed with EPO. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

I hope you watch the derby and see what he can do; if you think he is like maniatis or tsiolis then there is nothing I can say. As a PAO supporter I have been watching him play with this intensity year after year. 

He is not a CM but a modern midfielder than can superbly defend and pressure and can pass and move the ball forward a bit.

He has 2 weaknesses: sometimes he makes mistakes in passing (in PAO is the one that connects defense with CM and handles the ball all the time) and does not score.

Notice that the NT coach said, among others, that he likes his vertical passing (he also said last year he was playing better that is also true).

Now, about all comments whether nor not we want him to play. In a country we have laws and if players is eligible for a Greek passport then he is eligible to all privileges and responsibilities. There is nothing more to it.

Edited by PaoOle
  • Like it 1

Friendly reminder 
If you think our team is a Disgrace for taking a foreigner
Check some players like
Neudstadter
Diego Costa

not only small teams do it. If someone is elidgible for your country and actually WANTS a call up, why not?

It's not as bad as FIBA where one African-American player decides to grant citizenship for FYROM (Vardarska) and play for them. :o 

Don't really have a problem with this. He's more Greek than Holebas. Has been immersed in the country for longer and actually speaks the language.