Phantis Forums
Reaper

Is Zeca Good Enough For The Greek National Team?

Is Zeca good enough for the Greek NT?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Zeca for the NT?

• Yes, he will be a welcome addition.
    • No, he is not good enough.

9 hours ago, Reaper said:

One plus about Zeca - he is constantly - and I mean constantly - in the referee's ear complaining. We haven't had a player like that since Karagounis. Zeca's most common pose on the pitch is this:

075052.jpg

zeka_nevra3.jpg

1.jpg

1401874.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

1373894.jpg

1473831.jpg

1264724.jpg

zeka.jpg

27s15aek-thumb-large.jpg

ZECA.jpg

He speaks up against injustice, great quality and character trait. 

I just saw my ex wife 'complaining non-stop' to the referee, s%$#! she plays soccer!

I don't have a problem with him being able to become "Greek" in order to compete for Greece. EPO has done it in the past, so there is a precedent. Too bad they could not try hard enough for Chatzipanagis, who was a real Greek.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I don't have a problem with him being able to become "Greek" in order to compete for Greece. EPO has done it in the past, so there is a precedent. Too bad they could not try hard enough for Chatzipanagis, who was a real Greek.

What a player. If he was African Chinese and had only lived in Greece 10 days - I would still want the EPO to nationalise him. What a super talent he was.

Well his political background was apparently the reason why EPO did not try hard enough to have him play for the national team.

Perhaps one of the greatest talents in football of Greek decent.. shut away because of politics.. speaks volumes.

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Well his political background was apparently the reason why EPO did not try hard enough to have him play for the national team.

no...

the FIFA rules at the time were very black and white and clear cut..

he had played for USSR youth team...by the rules of the time...end of story...

no other player in that era was able to switch....let;s not blame EPO 30-40 years later..

• Like it 3

it does seem  gray....

in that period it was very clear.....

that list seems to take on a lot of periods of war/occupation/break up and creation of states...etc..

the interesting ones are the Spain/Argentina....Italy/Argentina..again these were long before the time of Vasili...

I am old enough though to remember during the 1970s and 1980s FIFA were pretty clear..

there were many newspaper articles from greece over years saying Greece were pushing to get an exemption..which never came..

under current FIFA rules he would be eligible

• Like it 1

Red Sheriff has it right.  That's how the rules were back then and it was not negotiable.  Nothing to do with EPO or conspiracies.

• Like it 1

Watched Zeca today in the 1-1 draw with Panionios. Was really weak technically and a poor decision maker. Was out shone for most the game by Korbos and Savvidis (21 years old) - the two Panionios mids. Panionios were also missing 3 starters today and should have won comfortably despite that with the chances they had.

I don't want him in the team. Simply because he is not Greek and also how he is as a player. Bouchalakis needs to be in the team. It's his time to get called up and it's been long overdue. ^Is that the Savvidis  that used to play for PAOK? He is a good player and maybe can replace Maniatis down the line.

Cap an average foreigner on one of the only higher tier European NTs which has managed to keep their squad ethnically legitimate, when we have Greek players that can do the same job, if not better. Why bother? We`re gonna delegitimize our country`s team for who exactly? Zeca, who only wants to play because he isn`t good enough to get a sniff in Portugal? This isn`t a club, Skibbe, it`s a national team and it should be respected. 

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I don't want him in the team. Simply because he is not Greek and also how he is as a player. Bouchalakis needs to be in the team. It's his time to get called up and it's been long overdue. ^Is that the Savvidis  that used to play for PAOK? He is a good player and maybe can replace Maniatis down the line.

Yes  it was the young Savvidis of PAOK fame and he usually doesn't start. 

On 11/24/2016 at 7:17 AM, Bananas said:

Red Sheriff has it right.  That's how the rules were back then and it was not negotiable.  Nothing to do with EPO or conspiracies.

I've heard Hatzipanagis himself on radio claiming that there were other issues that prevented him from playing on the NT, including political, and also the fact that he refused to transfer to a POK team.

• Like it 1

Red Sheriff, do you know how Giorgios Spanoudakis is coming along in terms of development? I know he is currently playing at Stuttgart U19 and has been capped twice by the U19 Greek NT. How`s he doing? He was being hailed by his peers as the next Ozil except better looking lol.

I have no idea....

but he is now 18...and still playing under age football.. which is not a great sign..

also he was not picked for Greece (or Germany) in the recent u19 Euro qualifiers..he has not played for an under age German team for over two years now...

This is a really long thread that really just has a simple answer:

"Nah"

-edit- spellingz

For me personally I not fussed that he's not ethnically Greek as the reality is that better credentialed nations like Spain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy, France, England and Croatia have naturalised foreigners for their NTs.

I'd much prefer that Lucas Villafanez who has a distant Greek relative be pursued as opposed to an average player like Zeca. The push for this player is illogical as I can't see him making the team better.

• Like it 1

Won't make a difference to Greece National Team. That's why he isn't or ever was considered for the Portugal National Team squad. Greece have so many better players than him.

Are we really that desperate that we need to cap Zeca?? Average player at best, no thanks.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Amorgos said:

To be fair, and whilst I am not for it, the performance of those playing as DM's for the NT of late has been dreadful to useless so when it can't get any worse... 

But again, Skibbe should be looking at more Greek options that are out there.

You're not wrong, but does that mean we have to start capping every decent mid in the league? Foreigners should only be capped if they are difference makers, if they are clearly a cut above anything else we have, and Zeca is most def not.

Even if Zeca is better than those two, he is not better than Samaris, or Tachtzidis, or Mantalos, personally I don't think he is better than Maniatis, and I would also rather play Tzioli, than cap a so-so Portugese player, it just seems cheap to me...does not leave me feeling very proud of the Ethniki if we started capping (foreign) players that were not standout footballers. The only consolation in Zeca's case is that I think he earned his citizen ship by the book? Can anyone confirm? In other words he was not fastracked, he did it the same way any average lay man would do it. If that is indeed the case it "softens" the blow and makes his cap(s) less cheap and much more genuine.

ΟΧΙ! 
ΟΧΙ!

Are we that desperate? ID rather see a few more PAOK and AEK call ups than this. From OLY call Retsos,Adoutsos, Manthatis off the bench...

Edited by jason

Retsos ..is a CD......

Androutsos and manthiatis are nowhere near ready.....they don't get regular game time in GSL..

We saw how 'ready' much more experienced and mature players have been in the past.  Bakasetas, Vellios, Tassoulis, Zaradoukas, Dinas, Aravidis,Diamantakos...etc etc....all proved to be way off NT standard..