Phantis Forums
Reaper

Is Zeca Good Enough For The Greek National Team?

Is Zeca good enough for the Greek NT?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Zeca for the NT?

• Yes, he will be a welcome addition.
    • No, he is not good enough.

Seems Stramaccioni, Skibbe and the EPO are working very hard to get Zeca a Greek passport so he can play for the Greek NT. I have no problem with foreigners who have been in the country playing for Greece - as long as they are good enough. Zeca for me does not have enough technique. 

yeah he is he would be a start and/or a high priority bench player at least. I'm not that familiar with what he contributes to the team tho tbh. What would you say are his primary assets? He seems like a similar player to Samaris to me, and I rate Samaris higher.

I'd rather just keep the national team ethnically greek tho unless it's a superstar situation. Samaris, Fortounis, Ninis, Kone, Fetfa, Tachtsidis are just as good if not better than him.

He has a great attitude though and a team player.

Edited by georgelaz

23 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

What would you say are his primary assets?

Positives: Energy, running - constantly bitches to the ref to give his team some sort of advantage. Seems to be a leader at PAO.

Negatives: Poor passing (many over-hit/ under-hit passes that don't find their target), poor technique (not a one touch player) - not particularly good at reading the game. Many weaker teams who play PAO dominate the midfield because of this.

He is a Maniatis with a bit more technique and a better shot. However, Maniatis has more stamina in my opinion, since whole Pao seems dissfunctional defensivewise, once this guy is tired. And they have no replacement.

Also would be nice to add a player from PAO since its so foreign based this year. Would bring good climate to the team if the big teams have players  representin us.

• Like it 1

I'm not for foreign players, I want the team ethnically Greek. We already have Holebas who is half Greek and Kone who is an Albanian but a naturalised Greek. Kone is one of my favorite players alongside Fetfatzidis and K.Papadopoulos.

I don't want Zeca because I want players like Kourbelis and Siopis to prove themselves and give players like Petsos and Tachtsidis more playing time.

Samaris is a boss in the midfield. Ninis is still believe in but we got Fortounis.

I'd like to see Kone and Fetfa in the team again maybe bench options. 

Edited by Dean97

45 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Villafanez actually has technique though,  I doubt Skibbe or the EPO would be  interested. 

Why the sudden interest in our players?

8 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Samaris is a boss in the midfield.

Sorry but this made me chuckle

• Like it 1

5 minutes ago, val said:

Why the sudden interest in our players?

Me or Skibbe?  I have  stated Zeca has held back PAO for years the same way Tziolis does for PAOK.  They both severely lack technical ability.  I have watched them both give away the ball under no pressure against weak sides -   consistently. 

But why has everyone lost faith in Samaris. He is way better than Tziolis. He plays a  holding position for his club and for the ethniki. You can't expect him to score 3 goals and do everything. All you want him to do is hold the ball, pass and find space to create the next pass and opportunity.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

5 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Me or Skibbe?  I have  stated Zeca has held back PAO for years the same way Tziolis does for PAOK.  They both severely lack technical ability.  I have watched them both give away the ball under no pressure against weak sides -   consistently. 

I'm talking about lucas

I was the one who first posted on this forum Lucas has a Greek ancestor from Piraeus and could play for the Greek NT. You can check it out. Nothing sudden?   Here is my post from early 2015 on Lucas when Lucas first came on the EPO and Greek media's minds. 

1 minute ago, NickTheGreek said:

As for Samaris, he has underperformed for the NT like the majority of the others, just seems as if he is living off that one big goal he scored in Brazil.

If someone was to tell him that before a game I have no doubt he would prove them wrong and get an assist and score a belter.

@ Nick

I wouldn't say under-performed. He simply isn't as good as people think or want him to be. He has a super agent though.

Tachtsidis offers some value with his passing but he is slower than continental drift

Edited by val

29 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I was the one who first posted on this forum Lucas has a Greek ancestor from Piraeus and could play for the Greek NT. You can check it out. Nothing sudden?   Here is my post from early 2015 on Lucas when Lucas first came on the EPO and Greek media's minds. 

So you want lucas to play for the ethniki?

9 minutes ago, val said:

So you want lucas to play for the ethniki?

Why the sudden interest?? :cool:

If he has a break away season I don't see why not. 

Zeca is definitely good enough to play for the NT. As a cdm, he's better than Tziolis, maniatis, and petsos. Only samaris and maybe tachtsidis are better, unless I'm forgetting someone. 

Zeca is like maniatis, but more skillful. Reaper, I disagree, I think he's good at passing. He hustles and runs very hard. Good at tackling and winning the ball back. He could be a good bench option /spot starter. He'll give it his all for greece.

The only thing is that it will take time for him to develop chemistry with the team.

Edited by maggica
  • Like it 1

That Zeca sounds like a better version of Maniatis, he is all over the opposition players like a virus. We should play him in the friendly in November. I'll talk to my people.

He may be good enough to make our team if he was a Greek, but compromising our integrity and naturalizing a foreigner, that would probably be our third-best holding midfielder, is not necessary. 

Unlike almost every other competitive footballing nation, Greece has a great track record of keeping their squad legit and Zeca is not the player who they should make an exception for.

As for comments regarding Holebas, Kone, etc., I don`t think it`s necessary to have 100% Greek bloodline to play for the NT, but we should hold some minimum criteria.

Holebas has Greek father, name, he is legit.

Kone grew up in Greece and speaks the language fluently. Greece was his first choice NT. He is legit. 

NInis has Greek blood/ancestry, name, he is legit.

Zeca is Portuguese who happens to have been signed by a Greek club in his twenties and isn`t playing for Portugal because he isn`t good enough for a call-up. NOT LEGIT.

Edited by Argy

Your question can't be answered with just as imple : Since he aint greek we shouldnt be doing him favors. He is nothing more than mediocre.

Your question should be answered with another Question.

Would he untie our hands (Greek translation at its finest) in a situation like this , when Samaris is Injured and our only options to pair in DMF with Tachtsidis are:
Unfit Maniatis
Unfit-&-Nonexistent Tziolis
Not-Even-A-Midfielder Stafylidis and
Good-Player-Got-A-Signing-In-Bundesliga-But-I'm-Never-Really-Gonna-Play-There Petsos

I mean... You can pronounce Zeka easier than all of these.

7 hours ago, Argy said:

He may be good enough to make our team if he was a Greek, but compromising our integrity and naturalizing a foreigner, that would probably be our third-best holding midfielder, is not necessary. 

Unlike almost every other competitive footballing nation, Greece has a great track record of keeping their squad legit and Zeca is not the player who they should make an exception for.

As for comments regarding Holebas, Kone, etc., I don`t think it`s necessary to have 100% Greek bloodline to play for the NT, but we should hold some minimum criteria.

Holebas has Greek father, name, he is legit.

Kone grew up in Greece and speaks the language fluently. Greece was his first choice NT. He is legit. 

NInis has Greek blood/ancestry, name, he is legit.

Zeca is Portuguese who happens to have been signed by a Greek club in his twenties and isn`t playing for Portugal because he isn`t good enough for a call-up. NOT LEGIT.

Portuguese don't rate the Greek League. To be fair the whole world doesnt rate the Portugese league either.

Most Portuguese teams dont even do wellin Europe (Benfica is mostly foreign based and has its moments).

Karamanos being a starter in a side there proves this.

You wouldn't take a player fromthe Slovenian National League as a decent player. But a player of Olympiakos/Pao/Paok seems fine because they are big teams of your country.WRONG. Both Leagues are terrible. Besides, Zeca can't show his skill level while the team was underachieving, in low budget and with corrupt football. Not to mention αποχή from Europe.

So people on here prefer to have tziolis over a player thats atleast capable of helping our central midfield. He will bring us pace, hustle, ability to win the ball and most importantly cover at the CM spots where we are lacking. if he doesn't play well then we could simply not call him up. We have nothing to lose if we make him a greek citizen. He's been in greece since 2011 and gives it his all every single game for Panathinaikos while we have 100% greeks not give a damn and have no interest when things get bad or don't get  game time. Im all for zeca coming to the NT if thats what it takes to help us qualify.

• Like it 2

I am not in the position to judge the skills of Zeca as I don't watch the games of Pana. But he is not Greek, has no roots or ancestors. He just happens to play in Greece. But could have been a Turkish or Russian club if they offered more money to him or his manager. Therefore I think he should not be in the Ethniki. 

• Like it 1