Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tantra129

Justin Trudeau

I don't like the fact that you are using CBC as references. Do you know what CBC represents? 

CBC is nothing more than a taxpayer funded Liberal (and NDP) propoganda machine. CBC hates Conservaties, hates men, loves feminists. They hate Alberta and promote BC and Ontario interests. They are a national disgrace that should be privatized since they serve politically biased interests then we'll see how long they can survive without tax dollars supporting their Liberal propoganda. 

vs :

In a speech billed as “An Ambitious Plan to Unleash Canada’s Productive Forces”, Conservative leadership candidate Maxime Bernier added to his already long list of proposed economic reforms by announcing he would eliminate the capital gains tax, lower the corporate tax rate, and expand and make permanent the Accelerated Capital Cost Allowance.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/09/20/leadership-candidate-bernier-calls-for-end-to-capital-gains-tax/

im all for lowering corp taxes and abolishing cap gains .... I WILL BENEFIT .... But is it the right thing for the country???

Justin is not ready ??? REALLY ??? he's doing better than anyone imagined

The advice was clear. Oman knew how to navigate the complex nature of Iran's political, religious and military mix. Canada was already at a disadvantage in talks with Iran because the previous Conservative government had closed the Canadian Embassy and severed diplomatic relations.

In that diplomatic vacuum, Italy has been acting as a go-between for Canada with Iran. Canada was also getting advice from Swiss officials on how to handle the Hoodfar negotiations. But it became increasingly clear, as Canada did its homework and sought advice, that Oman would know how to get the right message to the right person.

Trudeau takes personal interest

The government official said Canada's message was simple. It tied Trudeau's desire to see Hoodfar released with his stated intention of normalizing diplomatic relations with Iran. Trudeau, the source said, made it clear that "a fresh approach was impossible to do with a Canadian citizen held in an Iranian jail for feminism."

The official said Trudeau took a personal interest in the Hoodfar case, much like he did in the recent release of Kevin Garratt from China. Trudeau was willing to use the capital of the Prime Minister's Office to secure the release of a Canadian detained abroad. In doing so, the prime minister ignored some of the advice he received from officials during last year's transition to government during which he was advised to steer clear of consular issues.

::::::::::::::

poor canada. Years of harpering abuse and just in is not ready. Please. These actions deserve thunderous applause. The guy is on fire. 

“One of the things I’d do is I’d create an infrastructure bank. And I’d have that bank funded in part by government capital. And I’d give it a mandate that involves two or three things. First, to design big infrastructure projects in a way that attract people like us.” Meaning pension funds with hundreds of billions of dollars in assets. “So that every dollar of federal commitment triggers, say, four or five dollars from people like us. So you get this tremendous multiplication impact of what can be done.

“Two, I’d give this organization, this new bank, the opportunity to structure and negotiate transactions in a highly expert way, because this is a technically complex area. And finally I’d create inside that bank what I call a national centre of excellence, where you assemble the expertise that’s required to audit our national needs for infrastructure and on that basis develop a national infrastructure plan.”

Morneau is cagey about details, but he sounds like his plans follow Sabia’s recommendations closely. “My hope is that we can invest a dollar of federal money and multiply that five or six times — by having provincial and municipal investments, and also have other investments from institutional investors.” “Institutional investors” is a term of art for pension funds, asset managers, titanic investment portfolios both in Canada and overseas.

On the design of an infrastructure bank, Morneau said: “I think you’ll see that our approach will deal with the political risk that institutional investors see.” The government is looking at ways to set up a “pipeline of projects,” so that instead of a one-time adventure on Canadian soil, investors can make “a long-term commitment.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/10/16/justin-trudeaus-trillion-dollar-question.html

BTW.....

sabia's caisse de depot built state of the art offices in downtown montreal, even companies like Google, Apple and Facebook would be envious of.

the world and how we do business is changing fast.

CBC another liberal prop? So, what's new? The truth has a liberal bias!  We hear the same schtick about PBS/NPR in the states. Because when one side says the earth is 6,000 yrs old, there's no evolution, no global warming, basically the earth is flat, you have to treat it as a respectable position in order to be "fair and balance". I mean, after all the earth isn't exactly round....:1eye:

As for Trudeau improving Canada's relationship with its southern neighbor, why is this a good thing? Are they robing us through NAFTA? [now be fair and balanced]

On 9/20/2016 at 5:08 PM, tantra129 said:

In a speech billed as “An Ambitious Plan to Unleash Canada’s Productive Forces”, Conservative leadership candidate Maxime Bernier added to his already long list of proposed economic reforms by announcing he would eliminate the capital gains tax, lower the corporate tax rate, and expand and make permanent the Accelerated Capital Cost Allowance.

Aren't your companies moving south, to the US where the effective corporate tax rate is 7% (or below for many huge corps and individuals like Trump) with loopholes, and a weaker labor rights environment? 

This is the same crap conservatives are advocating in the US. Lower the tax rates to create jobs, make factories stay in the US, trickle-down economics b.s. All of these are proven failures, hurting the economy and damaging the middle class.

Businesses pay taxes on the profits, and this is their  #1 factor (studies after studies confirm this), whether they make a profit by engaging in an economic activity in a particular place. And, corps get to deduct everything, from huge CEO salaries to paperclips, something we individual taxpayers can't do.

As for the capital gains tax, my suggestion would be that it should be taxed as income, regardless of where you money comes from. In the higher brackets you should be paying a higher tax, so if you're working class you shouldn't be paying a separate rate for capital gains tax.

I don't know in Canada, but in the US the rich pay a smaller tax rate than a middle class (or poor) worker. Romney paid around 13-14% in fed taxes, Trump probably nothing, while a teacher pays 25-28%. And the cons call this fair and good economic policy.

Here's an article about Warren Buffet's taxes... Trump challenged him recently as someone, like himself, who uses the tax system to avoid taxes. Buffet's response was telling..

http://usat.ly/2eeno8r

Trickle down economics.  That does make me laugh.  Is there any non-wealthy person that believes in this ?

As for Warren Buffett, he is a rare and exceptional human being, given his wealth and reputation.  I dig his style.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:50 PM, athinaios said:

Aren't your companies moving south, to the US where the effective corporate tax rate is 7% (or below for many huge corps and individuals like Trump) with loopholes, and a weaker labor rights environment? 

`

Ever heard of a tax inversion?

Many american companies are merging with canadian companies with the only goal being to move their HQ's north of the border.

As far as I know, the corporate tax rates (on active income) in canada are less than 1/2 of what they are in the USA.

Passive income, we are taxed at ~50%.

This is the same crap conservatives are advocating in the US. Lower the tax rates to create jobs, make factories stay in the US, trickle-down economics b.s. All of these are proven failures, hurting the economy and damaging the middle class.

Businesses pay taxes on the profits, and this is their  #1 factor (studies after studies confirm this), whether they make a profit by engaging in an economic activity in a particular place. And, corps get to deduct everything, from huge CEO salaries to paperclips, something we individual taxpayers can't do.

i've said it before an many occasions ..... (i think JVC has voiced a similar tune in one of his lessons) for MY pocket .... it's great. lower corporate  taxes, create loopholes, eliminate capital gains !!! finance projects practically for free.....WOO HOOO !!!! At the tax bracket I contribute in,  my life will be enjoying the pleasures of a Porsche. And that is what the conservatives are trying to do.... but I can't sit by idly and say it's OK when I know it's what will destroy this country and be detrimental to the societies within it.

As for the capital gains tax, my suggestion would be that it should be taxed as income, regardless of where you money comes from. In the higher brackets you should be paying a higher tax, so if you're working class you shouldn't be paying a separate rate for capital gains tax.

I don't know in Canada, but in the US the rich pay a smaller tax rate than a middle class (or poor) worker. Romney paid around 13-14% in fed taxes, Trump probably nothing, while a teacher pays 25-28%. And the cons call this fair and good economic policy.

Here's an article about Warren Buffet's taxes... Trump challenged him recently as someone, like himself, who uses the tax system to avoid taxes. Buffet's response was telling..

http://usat.ly/2eeno8r

In Canada, we do pay Capital Gains as income. There is a percentage that is exempt.

Also, as a CANADIAN we carry a lifetime capital gains exemption of over 800K in shares of small businesses

People don't realize how powerful that is and rarely take advantage of it.

To give you an example ...

Suppose I open a software company which cost me 50K to start.

As the years pass, sales grow and I develop a product which has some value.

I turn around an sell this business (the shares of the SMB corp) for 1 million $.

800K + 50K are tax free. I pay capital gains on the 150, and that amount is added to my income.

that's how you make money in this country . build something from nothing and sell it for something.

--------------------------------------------

in that article i quoted above, the DEFEATED conservatives are getting little brown spots on their noses. How can they defeat a great, charming, smart and active leader such as Justin? of course by lowering taxes.

harper was great for my pocket, not for my country 

Edited by tantra129

I don't live in Canada, but I love the man. He should come to the U.S. and fix our problems lol 

On 11/10/2016 at 0:33 PM, 1789 said:

CBC highlighted the above 2012/2013 tweet, to suggest Trump is "extreme" on climate, in this recently published article concerning Canada-US relations. Of interest was this little nugget buried well within the article:

(emphasis mine)

In other words, there's a case to be made for Trump's comment. To take this point further, both countries are far less competitive than China already as is and policies in favor of taxing ("plan to put a price") carbon emissions will only make it more difficult to compete because it will drive prices in general higher, particular

ly when it comes to energy prices.

scientific data has proven that we are experiencing global warming. trump just said anything required to win. 

what a simpleton excuse if i have ever heard one

global warming is a real issue, it can't be denied and my mother in law makes bette chinese excuses than this

On 11/10/2016 at 0:33 PM, 1789 said:

They argue it will make Canadian companies less competitive than those in the U.S.

WHO are they ?????? some ANALysts .... ???

On 11/11/2016 at 3:33 AM, 1789 said:
In other words, there's a case to be made for Trump's comment. To take this point further, both countries are far less competitive than China already as is and policies in favor of taxing ("plan to put a price") carbon emissions will only make it more difficult to compete because it will drive prices in general higher, particularly when it comes to energy prices.

Have you seen the pollution in China ?  It's INSANE.  My brother in law went to China for 4 weeks about 12 years ago.  When I was looking through his photos I asked him if it was winter there at the time, because it was always grey and overcast.  And he laughed and said "That's the air pollution.  To see the sun you need to drive out of the city".  Their rivers are also thoroughly polluted with industrial waste.  This is not a country you want to try and emulate in this regard.  I found the effort to clear up the pollution in Beijing prior to the Olympics amusing.  They basically had to shut down half their factories for months just so they wouldn't be embarrassed on the international stage.

Having said that, the climate change issue has been twisted and debased.  Have you felt the heat of your car engine or the heat coming out of the exhaust ?  It has to go somewhere.  And we're talking 1 billion cars, producing heat every day.  Add to that 80 million barrels of oil being burned and processed every day.  Add to that gas being burned every day.  All this excess heat is dissipated into the atmosphere.

Now what we don't know is exactly what will happen.  And this is where it start to get political.  Climate "scientists" are partly to blame for this because some in their endeavour to get the issue noticed made some astounding predictions regarding sea level rises which is based on their "modelling".

We do know that the average temperature per year is rising compared to and based on records we have going back ~100 years.  We do know that glaciers are receding and at the rate they are receding, will probably all be gone by 2100.

What no one knows is if there is a "tipping point" which is what some climate scientists claim.  The only thing we do know is that when you add excess heat to a closed system then it will alter the weather patterns.  This it will definitely do, just no one can know how, and to what degree.  Some areas will get hotter, other will actually get colder.  Sea level rises of "x" ?  Again, very difficult to know by how much and at what rate.

I cringe when I hear a politicians say they don't believe in climate change.  Are they calling the people that record temperatures liars ?  Are they calling the people that record glacier melt rates incompetent ?  I think a politician has a much better incentive than a meterologist to lie.  And they also happen to be naturally much better at it.

Just take a look at charts of average temperatures across the globe.  They are all increasing.  If you look at a specific location only, this may not be the case but across the board, they have been and are increasing.

It's sad that something important like this which should be a top priority for further research, has instead been corrupted via carbon emission "trading" schemes.  Really ?  Something that could affect our kids, grand kids, great grand kids and the best we can do is find out how to make a dollar out of it ?

And you know what, if it so happened that after a whole heap of research was done, that scientists determined it wasn't that bad after all, it'll be ok, at least that would be comforting.  At least we'd know the s**t isn't going to hit the fan one day.  Instead we get politicians who will most likely be dead before we really know saying "Climate change isn't real".

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1