Phantis Forums

PAOK - Fiorentina ( EL - Group Stage - Matchday 1 / 15 Sep 2016, 22:05 GR )

Blackhawk

Blackhawk, blaming ivic imo is wrong. 

We didnt have the quality to unlock their defense djalma and rodrigues were not up to it. 

Our structure and defence were brilliant so i dont see what else ivic could of done? 

Pelkas turned out to be a gem of a move its shakov who when comes on doesnt do much. 

Ivic is working the squad well and if u asked us all prior to the game would you take a drae i think we all would. 

So fair result we have improvement to make and focus on winning the league .

The euphoria we get from winning these games doesnt really do much for us. 

We need to win the league 

16 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Really surprised me that he left Pereyra AND Koulouris off the squad and went only with Klaus as the lone striker. Also starting Pelkas was a mistake. Poor coaching by Ivic in this game.

I can agree with you as far keeping Pereyra off...but claiming poor coaching is a stretch.  I think Pelkas did pretty well and has shown some improvement.  I think Ivic was spot on with most of his decisions.  Pereyra in for Klaus instead of Thiem...or even Mystakidis much earlier in the match I think would have been even better.  

I think Ivic was only one or two calls off from having a great game. The only truly bad call he made, was not having a real striker there as backup for Klaus (although I'm sure he'd argue that Thiam is that striker). He recognized that Campos ran out of steam and ideas by around halftime, and took steps to replace him with a more solid defender when it became obvious Fiorentina had us off balance and would continue attacking. His move worked.

And as for Pelkas...I think he did decently well. Shakhov should be playing with him, not instead of him. If anything, that's the biggest issue I've seen with Ivic's teams. He keeps playing with two DMs and a central midfielder, relying on our wingers to feed Klaus. If we see more of Biseswar/Pelkas in the #10 role, we'll see more goals.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic

Ok.  So I had the game taped and got around to watching it in full last night.

Concerning the teams, it's clear that Fiorentina are a quality team.  They generally had that threatening "feel" about them where they could at any moment perform a nice run of play and expose our defence.  To our credit, we covered lots of space and there was lots of good tackling and pressing in general.  We made Fiorentina work for their opportunities of which they had 3 or 4 good chances.  A few of their crosses almost hit the mark as well but that's football, you don't always put away all your chances.

Regarding PAOK I'm fairly happy with the performance all things considered.  It was a bit frustrating but Fiorentina did what they had to, to put pressure on us when we had possession.  My only real complaint was that we gave up possession too easily.  Very often when Fiorentina had the ball in defense someone from the midfield would run back, lead, receive the ball, control and lay off or lay off one touch, turn and run.  And they would retain the ball.  Too often we had the ball in a similar position and would just lob it forward because the midfield wouldn't "ask" for the ball.  They wouldn't lead.  If we would only start playing this way more often we would be a MUCH better side.

Glykos: 7.5/10.  Good.  Did everything asked of him.  He just refuses to give up that starting position, he he.

Matos: 7/10 1st half.  6/10 2nd half.  Fairly good.  Good in attack.  Not so much defensively.  Got into their box a few times.  On the other hand his flank got exposed a few times in the first half and then again the same in the first 15 minutes of the second half.  This is I believe what led Ivic to bringing on Crespo and playing with a 3-5-2.

Leovac: 6/10 1st half.  7/10 2nd half.  Fairly good.  Kind of the opposite of Matos.  Offered nothing in attack in the first half but his flank wasn't exposed either so defensively he was sound.  I thought he improved in the second and after the 60th minute offered more in attack.

Varela: 7.5/10.  Good.  Looked solid.  He seemed to cope well with the pressure of playing against a better class of team.  He also looked strong physically.  Those Fiorentina forwards were big boys.

Tzavellas: 6/10.  Fairly good.  I think against a team like Fiorentina he struggled.  He really had to work hard and it was a tough day for him.  I don't believe he's a EL quality CB.  Great for GSL and depth but at this level he looked under some pressure.  To his credit he gave it his all.  +1 for the 3 or 4 commando rolls he performed when he got "fouled".  Academy award winning stuff.  +1 also for eyeballing an opposition player.  He's getting consistent at doing at least one of these per game.

Canas: 7/10.  Good.  Covered lots of ground.  Knows where to stand.  Offered some calmness to the midfield.

Cimirit: 6.5/10.  Fairly good.  Some of his touches can be off, but that's him.  Offered his usual hustle and toughness in the midfield.

Pelkas: 6/10.  Fairly good.  The surprise starter.  Did quite well in the first half.  In the beginning of the second half when Fiorentina applied the pressure he went quiet.  Good to see him get some game time.

Djalma: 6/10.  Fairly good.  To be fair Fiorentina didn't give him much space but to his credit he kept trying.

Rodrigues: 7.5/10.  Was the only player that really threatened up front.  Would like to clone a few more players like Rodrigues.  If only he put away that chance in the 85th that Leovac crossed!

Klaus: 6/10.  Tried.  Not great, not bad.  Similar to Djalma.  It was tough out there for him.  Didn't get much service and when we attacked Fiorentina didn't leave much space.

Shakhov:  6.5/10.  Fairly good.  Looked more comfortable than Pelkas against class opposition.  Also, went to the ball and asked for it.  His control and passing was required to try and hold possession.

Crespo:  6/10.  Didn't really do much.  Was just an extra body in the back to cut down space for the Fiorentina forwards.

Thiam:  ?/10.  Wasn't on long enough.  But he does look like he's got some pace on him.  Will be interesting to watch him this season.

Edited by Bananas

Over 50 scouts were at the match. One thing i feel berbatov did was give us some.respectability as a serious european club and this is what increases your player sale values hopefully mak will be the start of many more. 

http://m.sport24.gr/football/omades/Paok/sta-karne-italwn-kai-germanwn-skaoyter-oi-paiktes-toy-paok.4268008.html