Phantis Forums

Gibraltar V Greece: 6 September 2016 World Cup Qualifier Estádio Algarve ( Portugal )

Greekaroos

Honestly we have no good 100% left back right now. Holebas is worthy of being a winger because his offensive attributes are wasted when playing LB. Either that or he , while playing as a LB goes forth and we end up being outnumbered on counterattacks. Remember the Ivory coast game. He had 2-3 shots on the bar. Thats kinda unusual for a not-exactly-top-class-defender. This way Skibbe gets the maximum of his offensive attributes while he , being training for this all of his life, is aware of defensive mechanisms he can do to pressure/predict opponent movements. As previously mentioned, our first 3 opponents are Gibraltar, Estonia , Cyprus. I do not believe they ll pose much thread with any of the left backs we have available in this call-up.

tzavellas is solid but not starting 11 unless we have injuries

great fk, crossing, strength and versatility as a LB/CB

ti ginetai me ton fortouni? we need him in their, he's a class above our other attacking mid options

Edited by georgelaz

Could we see Sokratis play at right back, given the impressive performance of papadopoulos and the bizarreness of stafylidis featuring on the wrong side in the last match?

Sok doesn't have crossing of Toro but he played there occasionally for Bremen...

• Like it 1

Should be able to smack 4 past the Gibberers, as long as they don't drop their bundle. If Toro sits out,  KyriPap plays well again, after that who misses out, Manolas? I question Manola's fitness/pace actually, having seen some of the Roma matches.

Have to agree with playing Xolebas at left back. He does not have the dribble or the skill to beat a defender one on one. He, like most modern day full-backs are better when they are overlapping. 
I recall seeing many left backs being played on the wing and not having the same influence. 

I don't think we will have any problems here, I see a comfortable win. Given where we are coming from though, id be content with a 2-0 win. 

9 hours ago, aek66 said:

really, did you see how predictably poor xolebas was against holland? if lazaros had a match like that, the posts would come fast and furious. when i say predictably, i say picking and choosing runs at LB are not similar to playing with back to goal and receiving balls at a stand still position.

i say play him, but at LB.

On 9/2/2016 at 7:48 PM, RED SHERIFF said:

I would play Holebas at LB,,,,

On 9/2/2016 at 9:09 PM, Reaper said:

For me Xolebas is the best left back of Greek descent currently playing football. Our whole qualification campaign was wrecked by Staf being given the LB position. Tzavellas is a little better but still not at Xolebas's level and sure enough we were scored on last game.. as always.. from shattered left side. 

I get where you guys are coming from but I still have nightmares from Holevas being skinned by Poland and the Czechs in 2012 and getting abused by Cuadrado in 2014. I understand why Skibbe doesn't fully trust him. Granted I don't think we really have anyone better at LB (a problem-position ever since Fyssas/Venetidis hung them up) so I think the coach is trying to experiment with him at LM while having Tzavellas in there as a stop-gap until someone better comes along..

• Like it 1

lol don't know how often this is done, but skibbe uses 'we' a lot when referring to the NT

even when referring the losses to faroe islands

psychologically means he's taking huge responsibility towards the team, a very good sign. considering himself part of the unit.

that's something that santos didn't even too at times, who would dissociate from us when we weren't doing well

santos basically learnt greek tho, doubt skibbe ever will

Edited by georgelaz

I Wish we had a few more friendlies to experiment the 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation with a FULL squad of healthy players. It appears the skib however is now keen on a 4-2-3-1 with Fortunis assisting Mitro in pressuring the defenders when not in procession, and also given the freedom to drop back to assist in build up play/distribution as well - a role which he is quite effective at. After watching our last few friendlies, It would have been nice to see this group/formation get a run of games:

------------- Mitroglou --------------

--------Fortounis -------

------------- Mandalos --------------

Choleva - Samaris - Petsos - Toro

-- Socratis -- K Pap. -- Manolas --

------------- Karnezis --------

Fortounis to be used in a similar role as he was against the Dutch - assist Mitro in pressuring defenders, drop back to assist in build up/distribution if needed. Cholevas and Toro have full clearance to move forward with defensive mids providing coverage. 

• Like it 1

Good lineup @EllasCan but there are some flaws. Both Samaris and Petsos are very heavy players. Probably the reason Maniatis is used is that he is fast and can help in a counter attack.

Torosidis is old and can't cut it to have the whole line for himself, which means that we either get Gianniotas at late , or the opposite (Gianniotas at first and Torosidis subbed if we don't need a goal). Cholebas at that position also probably means that we ll get to see Stafylidis late on, which most of the posters here don't like.

torosidis is fit to play and will start tomorrow. probable line up.

--------------------------karnezis------------------------

toro--------manolas----sokratis-----tzavellas

-------------------maniatis-----samaris-------------

gianniotas/bakasetas--fortounis--mantalos

------------------------mitroglou-------------------------

6 hours ago, ELLAS75 said:

Does anyone from Canada now if this game is on the Sportsnet package I cant see it as of yet?

I have the sports net package and it's the only game not listed on there which sucks. I'm hoping this was because Gibraltor got added to the group late but as of right now it's not there.