Phantis Forums

Friendly: Netherlands Vs. Greece(1 September 2016, Philips Stadion, Eindhoven)

Omonoia9

Greece played so well after the equalizer, it's like a totally different style of football they played. Well, they better start playing like that from now on if they want to go to Russia. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Everyone still refuses to acknowledge the importance of the Maniatis & Samaris combination in the central midfield??? He returned to the national team against Australia after being out for a year due to injury & we once again don't allow teams to beat us by controlling the center of the park.

This was not our dads or even my younger years Holland BUT take nothing away from our team. Even before the 1st goal Greece was pressing the ball and closing in very quickly..1st time in a along time that we wanted to recoup the ball that quickly. I enjoyed watching this team play alot of one touch close passoulais..MITRO was a giant today..looks very fit they could not handle him..Mandalos and Fortounis were just fine out there..When was the last time a GREEK cross had 4 targets in the box and was not a free or corner kick. 

No complaints today even on Tzavellas or Maniatis ( they must go)...I cant see us stumbling out of the gate come Tuesday. Very happy with Skibbes tactics today..We will probably see the same starters wouldnt mind Giannotas for Holebas. Great start to a LONG WEEKEND...now can Canada pull a mini miracle tomorrow.

• Like it 1

Calm down everyone. It was just a friendly.

Our defence is still tragic at times. How many saves did our keepers have to make in the match? I'd say way too many.

It's very clear that what was once our strength in defence is now our Achilles heel.

The truth is that I'd take a loss in this match with a 5-0 over Gibraltar next week. That's where it counts.

Nick I agree. These are just friendlies, but just to remind those who may not have seen that match against Australia in Melbourne. Hellas literally and metaphorically demolished Australia in that first 30 minutes.

I have never seen pressing like that before. It took Australia nearly 10 minutes to get out of their own half. Hopefully that match is the turning point and after the win tonight we build momentum going in to the real matches.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Akritis_1944 said:

Calm down everyone. It was just a friendly.

Our defence is still tragic at times. How many saves did our keepers have to make in the match? I'd say way too many.

It's very clear that what was once our strength in defence is now our Achilles heel.

The truth is that I'd take a loss in this match with a 5-0 over Gibraltar next week. That's where it counts.

"How many saves did our keepers have to make against Hollish shots of 25+ meters?"

Are you even trying ? Our defence couldn't let them break into our goallie area (i didnt watch the match just the highlights) and like all their shots apart from their goal were outside the area. Our defence worked almost perfectly. With an unfit Torosidis, an unfit 6ari named Maniatis and our 3rd choice LB we didn't give them much space to handle. And yeah, Huntelaar was missing - their best CF right now (since RVP is probably not competing at NT level again), Arjeen Robben,Janmaat were missing, but: Wijnaldum was there, Sneidjer was there, Klaasen was there, Quincy Promes was there (most of u dont know about this talent but hes gotten lots of focus from the dutch media), Nasrigh,BasDost were there offensivewise. Defensivewise, Bruma, Zoet(the best GK they have according to Dutch themselves in international football forums), Blind, Strootman, Willems, they were there. Apart from Huntelaar, I still don't believe in Arjeen Robben being the dutch NT's σημαία coz he is being at least 4 months/year (summer excluded) injured which means the team - the same team that has qualified in every tournament lately apart from euro 16 - has made it there with or without his help.

We beat a powerhouse team's A+B team combined, some A players played some B players played. We had Tzavellas as a Left Back and we saw Bakasetas, Maniatis,Papadopoulos and Kapinos play, so what? This is a good result. I don't know if the team has big chances to qualify for the WC but I know they will fight for it. The fact that we ended up in Pot 3 for this tournament qualifiers is the reason qualification is a big IF, were we in Belgium's side and having a pot 3 team like Montenegro/Finland instead would mean no big trouble.

Also, Cyprus beating Turkey is bad news.

• Like it 1