Phantis Forums

Forum Software Upgrade

Lazarus

Interesting bug....  I have all the options for editing text (mine or others') except in "Let's Talk About..." and particularly the topc Cards...   where, for example, I can't edit fonts to make them smaller....

see attached (from snip an image)

phantis.JPG

11 hours ago, athinaios said:

Interesting bug....  I have all the options for editing text (mine or others') except in "Let's Talk About..." and particularly the topc Cards...   where, for example, I can't edit fonts to make them smaller....

see attached (from snip an image)

Good catch. It appears that the limitation has to do with the width of the column. The displayed messages in that forum appear on a narrower column that does content on this page. As a result, some of the editing button are automatically ignored.

I'll see if I can find a workaround. Good catch! :thumbup:

...a little later.... 

One way around it is to right click on 'Edit' and open in new tab.

2 hours ago, Amorgos said:

Just wondering, when someone likes a post of yours now you get a notification saying "someone" liked your post - does that mean that is a non member?

It was me that liked your post. ;)

I agree though, I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

12 hours ago, Amorgos said:

Just wondering, when someone likes a post of yours now you get a notification saying "someone" liked your post - does that mean that is a non member?

Guests (non-members) don't have access to "liking" posts. By default (with this upgrade) members get a notification when someone likes their post without them knowing who it was.We left it at that default setting as we evaluate how to make best use of the 'reputation system' (as it's referred to). For example should there also be a 'dislike' element or would that just promote trolling in the forums? Also, is it beneficial to the forums if members know who disliked (or liked) them? I'll let you know when we decide on how to best use the reputation and notification systems, as we definitely need to review the subject.

^

I'm not in favor of "dislikes" as it may lead to animosity. Plus if a group has a lot more fans it'll skew the ratings.

I agree with you that reputation should not be based on "likes"... as you said, post often, in areas people are bound to agree with you, hang around for a while, and you build up a "reputation."  Not to mention trolls can help themselves out by liking each others' posts.  Over the years, there have been some members who have gotten lots of warnings, even banned, but had an "excellent reputation" :burn:

Reputation based on likes is easy to game, should someone wish to do so. I see no harm in seeing who likes your posts, because knowing which people like me is the only thing that keeps me going these days. I'm looking at you, MOM.

• 4 months later...

I think the anonymity of it is a good thing, that way people do not just like one another's post like some of quid pro quo or some type of post like courting. This way when you like someone's post I think the representation could be more accurate and less of a popularity or solidarity thing....my 2 cents

9 minutes ago, Tzatziki said:

I think the anonymity of it is a good thing, that way people do not just like one another's post like some of quid pro quo or some type of post like courting. This way when you like someone's post I think the representation could be more accurate and less of a popularity or solidarity thing....my 2 cents

It's just a way of conveying more information.  It can be used for good or ill.  The example you cite is correct and we'd see it on the old gs forum as well as this forum before the feature was disabled, but one shouldn't remove a feature just because it's used for ill purposes only some of the time.  If it's removed for other reason then fair enough, but if it's solely for the reason you mention, I think it's overkill.

Im not clear as to what the reasoning is, but I think the forums benefit from people not knowing, even though at the end of the day the like button is really just for posters egos and nothing more. One reason why it was changed could be to encourage people to sign up for the new premium service, but I am not sure.

Ego is part of it, no doubt.  But if someone posts say an old song from back in the day in the 70's, 80's, 90's music thread and I'm like :wow: I loved that song, I want to be able to click that button and let that user know that I was the one that clicked it.  Now, I would have to create a separate post to let them know.  No big deal really, but the "loss" of information ... just bothers me.  Might have something to do with working in IT, ha ha.

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Amorgos said:

Site is taking a while to load, dunno if anything has changed by the last 3-4 days I'm finding it takes while to load the site and to go from form to forum

Seems about the same to me.  I don't notice it being slower.  Maybe your PC is doing some work in the background, a virus scan or something ?

I've accessed the site from different computers and diff locations. No problems in the last many days. Hmm.   [He says so in order to put them at ease....while secretly installing malware to monitor members computers]:angel_not:

The times I notice a slowdown is when my computer is on auto mode backing up the drive, or I may have another page open that's "running a script" (sites that are loaded with crap or lots of bad plugins)

@Amorgos @ThrylosG7 it could be the Telstra network here in Australia.  My mobile phone (cell phone for you yankees) wasn't able to receive or make calls today for a couple of hours.  Apparently the Telstra network is going ... drumroll ... bananas.  Also read that mobile sms text messages have been going to random people, ha ha.

I got a message about the site being down for maintenance just as yesterday's PAOK match was starting, but everything straightened out pretty quick. Just popped in here to rub it in everyone's faces.

:kisses-444440:

• 3 months later...

We had a failed attempt at upgrading forum software. In order to restore operations we had to resort to restoring a snapshot from May 18 (yesterday).  So, if you've posted since yesterday and can't find your posts, I am sorry to say that they are unrecoverable.

Let me know if you experience and other problems or things don't work as expected.

We'll address the software upgrade at a later date

Man, you lost my most brilliant posts ever!:pufff:

The damage would have been worse if I hadn't disappeared for a month. [crazy busy at work, plus I'm selling my house and buying another one.... that's the plan anyway]

Does the new update include the Stephen Hawking speech software? 

• Haha 1