Phantis Forums

CL-QR3-L2: PAOK - Ajax (03-Aug-16, 21:30 GR)

Blackhawk

My theio was going to buy tickets but just to be sure I got in line at my local Germanos store (Drama). The queue didn't move for three hours as their were some problems with the system. Just as the queue started to move I got a phone call from my theio saying he had the bought the tickets! So fkn hyped!! 

• Like it 2

The not well known Anthony Taylor from England will be the referee for Wednesday's game.

Amin Younes probably missing the game due to groin-problems. Today they will decide of he is coming to Thessaloniki or not.

Riechedly Bazoer is fit for the game as he trained with the group from Saturday.

and the clousure of Gate 8 for the Ajax fans. 

Kind of sucks we have to close gate 8 for 150 Dutch fans. Would have been 3,300 extra tickets available to PAOK fans. Apparently PAOK asked Ajax to move the Dutch fans to the VIP section, but Ajax did not accept it.

It sounds like Pereyra might start in this match. I'll repeat my last lineup - very glad that Matos seems unhurt. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shakhov in for Charisis (since Ivic will be eager to show off his new toy)...but might be better as a sub.

--Glykos--

--Matos--Crespo--Tzavellas--Leovac--

--Cimirot--Charisis--

--Campos--           --Rodrigues--

--Pereyra--

--Klaus--

• Like it 1

If Pereyra plays, there is no reason for Klaus to play. It should either be Klaus or Pereyra and a player in the "dekari" position, which should be Sakhov (or Pelkas) in my opinion. if we go down early, than throw in another forward and change the formation something like 4-4-2.

I hope we don't go out and play an attacking game right from the start. We have the option of playing for either a win or a scoreless tie. Ajax on the other hand has to score. If we let them have a possession game early, I think we will score on counters. 

He's neither a dekari nor a CF. That's why Ivic has a tough time finding a spot for him on the team and excluded him from the first game, even though he would have been the perfect player to start instead of Klaus in that game in my opinion. I just hope Bisesvar was game ready, which would give Ivic another option.    

• Like it 1

Well I finally got to watch the full 1st game yesterday.

From what I saw, I can't see us playing with a #10 in Toumba.  Ajax's passing game is too fluid and crisp.  Hence why Ivic played with 3 in the middle (Cimirot, Charisis, Shakhov) and I don't see him changing this.  I believe if we played with only 2 in the middle in say a 4-2-3-1 they will carve us up.  Without Shakhov there who played quite deep and covered lots of ground and space, they would've cut through the middle too easily.

The thing is, even with 3 in the middle we were still leaving that space open from where Ajax were taking those pot shots on goals.  This will definitely need to be minimized in Toumba.

So, I can't see us coming out playing too attacking and potentially leaves holes for Ajax to exploit.  I think the game will be similar to the 1st leg with Ajax having the majority of possession.  Hopefully they struggle to find space and don't get an early goal.  The good thing about the 1st game was that even thought Ajax passed the ball around with ease, they didn't really create too many solid chances.  Maybe 4 or so chances but that was to be expected I suppose.

Regarding Ajax's passing game.  Really, that's what PAOK should be aiming for.  I'm not saying we should aspire to play like Ajax (I don't necessarily want that) but when our players can't even pass 4 crisp passes at a semi high tempo without the ball bobbling all over the place, it's not a good thing.

Either way, this game is too close to call.  It really could go either way.

Edited by Bananas

Squad for the game announced by Ivic. No Pelkas and no Pereyra, so pash's (and mine) dilemna is solved.

Here is the squad:

Glykos, Brkic, Leovac, Kitsiou, Matos, Tzavellas, Malezas, Canas, Crespo, Tziolis, Sakhov, Charisis, Cimirot, Bisesvar, Mystakidis, Campos, Rodrigues, Klaus, Koulouris

One player will be cut from the squad on game day.

This pretty much confirms that he will start with the same lineup as in Amsterdam.