Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

I encourage you to take a walk through Africa, maybe a little stroll through Congo, Somalia, or whatever... it's the same everywhere

I'm afraid I was unclear, what do you think are some of the reasons why Africa is a mess as you say?

I share the opinion of every fact listed in the article, didn't want waste the time writing all that information. What's your opinion on Africa, anyways?

Well, keep in mind, I'm not an expert by any means or even familiar with the current state of affairs and the events leading to where these countries are today economically socially etc. But it is well known to even the people who are the furthest removed that the continent is not the land of milk and honey.

I think that there are probably several reasons for this and each country's reasons are probably unique and not necessarily shared by others. To speak broadly and out of my a.ss as the saying goes, I would say many of the problems can be traced back to colonialism, wars and the support of leaders and war lords by foreign nations, corporations who conspire with the foreign governments and the crooked leaders they prop up to rob the resources and make themselves rich, organisations that receive millions and millions in charitable contributions and the money seems to make zero difference, but Akon turns on the lights in one day for thousands. I don't think Africa is messed up because Africans are just incredibly inept. It is the way it is largely because people who run things benefit from the status quo.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin Kaepernick has got my admiration and respect by taking a stand for something that he believes is right, even though he will face a sh.it storm for this, he did it anyway. 

Also refreshing and somewhat surprising (to me) that the 49ers did not immediately throw him under the bus:

"The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

8589130422384-colin-kaepernick-49ers-wal

I am not a citizen, but the US is not entirely foreign to me. Some symbols are definitely holy and powerful to all regardless of political positions. But the country is still diverse enough in its own way, many states and hundreds of millions. 

The black professor chimes in: the fact that I made it or that we have a black president doesn't mean that racism and discrimination aren't still powerful sources in the US.

In a polisci class the discussion about civil rights and protests is an important one. Political speech takes many forms; it's not only oral. I may not burn the US flag in anger or protest, but I surely defend the right of anyone to do it. (their own flag and in a safe way). The flag and the national anthem are symbols which represent rights and freedoms, including the right to dissent.

Sometimes stunts like this one are necessary to provoke a society to deal with an important issue. Black athletes raised their fists at Olympics medal ceremony while the US anthem was playing. American soldiers through their valor medals over the White House fence and even burned American flags.

• Like it 1

There is no point in making this a race to the bottom, respecting a persons rights does not diminish another's. We should all be supporting th equitable treatment of our fellow man, it is in everyone's interest to do so.

I'd like to repeat something: Anecdotal or isolated incidents don't necessarily reflect trends or reality.

For example, with all the videos surfacing nowadays due to mobile phones, one may think that violence has escalated. That's what Trump and Giuliani portray the US as under Obama. Crime statistics compiled by the FBI and other reputable sources (newspapers, academics) show a reduction of crime.  Likewise with videos regarding police brutality, shootings, etc. Before you jump into a conclusion (you may already predisposed to), check the numbers...

And, by the way, White Lives Matter group is a neo-nazzi, KKK front.

boy, aren't you sensitive... I wasn't talking about you.

As to your quotes, well, police are supposed to be the professionals. "Dealing with sh&t" doesn't mean doing so by shooting or beating up people. As long as there's no violence, civilians should yell whatever they want in a civil protest. Unfortunately, in the US some police dpts by policy and most cops by temperament and training are ready to escalate instead of de-escalate tense situations.

Someone said 20% of cops are very decent people, 20% are total scumbags, and the rest go along with the flow...

I say, everyone in a police encounter should be careful how they relate to a cop, and that they should keep in mind the cops are like lethal robots that can have a major malfunction at any moment.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, athinaios said:

and that they should keep in mind the cops are like lethal robots that can have a major malfunction at any moment.

Isn't this applicable for every encounter with a person carrying a deadly weapon? Using the word 'cops' in this sentence is misleading as if only cops can malfunction. 

Your corrected sentence should read: "and that they should keep in mind the deadly weapon bearers are like lethal robots that can have a major malfunction at any moment."

But yes, police officers should have better training. The question is can Police Departments afford it? Can Cities afford it? Are tax-payers willing to pay the price?

Edited by JimAdams

OK. Fair point.

But, what is it that makes, say, Canadian POs, or British, etc, react differently? Mentally disturbed persons or those who don't pose immediate harm to others, or even irate and threatening persons are dealt differently, but not necessarily in the US. You've seen the videos, just in the last year of POs shooting a barrage of bullets when a taser might have been more appropriate. It's my impression that due to lack of training and the prevailing culture within most police dpts POs tend to escalate a confrontation.

Whether "we can afford" to train them better, well, I don't have the answer to this. But, cities pay millions in fines for wrongful deaths, treatment, etc.

• Like it 2

It's a complex issue with many moving parts, one factor that does not help the de-escalation is the militarization of law enforcement. Look at a police officer today compared to 20 even 10 years a go. Things have changed.

On another note, Happy belated Birthday to brother Fred Hampton!!! A truly inspirational young person taken away from us at the age of 21.

o-FRED-HAMPTON-facebook.jpg

733796.png

EmoryDouglasArt02.jpg

I don't really think what socks an athlete wears to practice is quite as relevant to me at this point in time as we have more serious REAL problems like unarmed black men being murdered in the streets like dogs by some trigger happy chicken s.hit member of law enforcement who would have us all believe that their job is to protect and serve.

Edited by Tzatziki

2006 FBI Report on White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement: You Will Be Assimilated

One positively chilling aspect of this 2006 FBI report is the description of what white supremacists call "ghost skins."

Since coming to law enforcement attention in late 2004, the term "ghost skins" has gained currency among white supremacists to describe those who avoid overt displays of their beliefs to blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.

This year, alone, at least seven San Francisco law enforcement officers were suspended after an investigation revealed they exchanged numerous “White Power” communications laden with remarks about “lynching African-Americans and burning crosses.” Three reputed Klan members that served as correction officers were arrested for conspiring to murder a black inmate. At least four Fort Lauderdale police officers were fired after an investigation found that the officers fantasized about killing black suspects.

link

Colin Kaepernick's Jerseys Are Selling Fast Since His Protest of the National Anthem

colin-kaepernick-front-office

According to the 49ers website, the Kaepernick jersey's sales were ranking in at No. 20 before his protest began. After the firestorm has made Kaepernick the NFL's most talked-about rebel rouser as of late, his jersey sales have skyrocketed to No. 1 on the franchise's website among the team's legends including Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, and Ronnie Lott jerseys.

The football star is also putting his money where his mouth is. Kaepernick publicly announced this week that he plans to donate the first $1 million that he makes this season to charity.

link

3 hours ago, 1789 said:

A black person is as likely to get struck by lightning as he is to get killed by a police officer. Meanwhile there are going to be 700 projected black-on-black murders in Chicago this year alone. 

When Tyrone kills Jamal, Tyrone gets life in jail. When officer Billybob kills Jamal, he paids paid leave, and can eventually be promoted to higher positions.

EXCLUSIVE: Promotion for NYPD cop involved in shooting death of Amadou Diallo — shot 41 times in 1999 — pains victim’s mom

2007-12-05-7ro01k0a-jpg.jpg

link

3 hours ago, 1789 said:

And given the problem of black-on-black murder, if there really were so many racist police officers, why would they even have to bother killing any black men when these very same black men are busy killing one another anyways? Why bother with the multi-million dollar lawsuits, bad press, and public damnation?

Your argument is offensive. Bcause black on black crime is a problem why should we care about cops killing them? Is this your position?

Silence or inaction implies or equates to approval. Bravo to the mayor. Do the right thing.

Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson Launches #MakeItAwkward Campaign To Challenge Racism

“I’ve heard casual racism throughout my life and it’s appalling,” Iveson told the Edmonton Journal. “We have to stop. We have to have an awkward conversation around the dinner table, in the locker room, wherever it’s happening.”

The sentiment inspired Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson and sparked the #MakeItAwkward campaign which is meant to encourage bystanders to do something, rather than stay silent when they witness racism, sexism, homophobia or any kind of bigotry.

"It's time to stand up and say something. And you don't have to get all up in someone's face, you just have to not be afraid," the mayor said in the video. "It's time to make it awkward.

link

18 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Ive researched this black lives matter group from both sides on the internet - and to me it seems they are just another bunch of hypocritical social justice warriors - who act in the same way if not worse that the people who which they are protesting about. many people have pointed to the fact that they are blind to the issues in their own communities which are far worse.

Well, the issue is settled then! We should tell everyone protesting to go home, ThrylosG7 has spoken. 

Using the black on black violence as a justification for their treatment by LAE is one of the worst cop outs I can think of. I really fail to see why the former makes the latter a non issue for some. By that sort of "logic" terrorism should be a non issue as well for Americans. Terrorists are responsible for probably less than 3% of american homicides, but Islamophobia an hating Muslims is the new denim.

About whites being shot more by police than visible minorities, I would love to see your source on that one TG7.

An Open Letter of Support for Colin Kaepernick From American Military Veterans

In 1947, former Army officer Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball. Robinson experienced taunts, epithets, and threats of violence for simply standing up to the status quo of segregation in America.

Since 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick engaged in a silent protest to bring attention to the state of emergency facing people of color in America, a chorus of detractors have lined up to denounce his stand, or more accurately his sit. Fans have burned his jersey. A presidential candidate suggested he leave the country. Many have claimed his protest disrespected American veterans.

Jackie Robinson isn’t here today to tell us what he would think of Kaepernick’s protest. But he did convey the same sentiment about the national anthem as Kaepernick in his 1972 autobiography, writing, “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world.”

As military veterans, we write to express our support for the tradition of advocacy by athletes that is embodied by Jackie Robinson and carried on by Colin Kaepernick.

For generations, American athletes have used their public voice to force our collective attention towards the crises and issues that challenge our national conscience. Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Ariyana Smith, the Minnesota Lynx, the Missouri Tigers football team, and stars across professional sports declaring that #BlackLivesMatter, are all part of a brave tradition of protest by athletes. Far from an anomaly, athletes leading on social change has been the norm in America. The right for those athletes, and all Americans, to protest is one we all pledged to defend with our lives if necessary. Far from disrespecting our troops, there is no finer form of appreciation for our sacrifice than for Americans to enthusiastically exercise their freedom of speech.

While we would not all personally choose to protest in a manner identical to Kaepernick, we respect and honor his choice, and whole heartedly join him in stating unequivocally that BLACK LIVES MATTER. The current state of affairs for people of color in America is unsustainable and unacceptable. According to analysis by the Washington Post, black people in America are two and a half times more likely to be shot and killed by police than white Americans. Far too often, people of color are dying at the hands of law enforcement personnel in the streets, our jails, and their homes. Indictments are rare and convictions are essentially nonexistent.

This status quo outrages us as men and women who raised our right hands and pledged to defend, with our lives if necessary, a Constitution that proclaims intent to “establish justice, insure domestic tranquility,” and “secure the Blessings of Liberty.” Those ideals are simply not being upheld for all Americans.

As veterans, we implore all Americans to find your own way to challenge this status quo and advocate for “a more perfect union.” Your method of protest may not be to refrain from the traditions surrounding our national symbols, and it doesn’t have to be. You have the same right as Colin Kaepernick to choose whether and how to advocate, a right we support and served for. However you choose to use your voice, please do so with an understanding that many veterans do not condemn the protest of activists like Jackie Robinson, Colin Kaepernick and everyday Americans seeking justice. Indeed, we see no higher form of patriotism.

signed:

Eric Baker, United States Army Veteran

Bill Barton, United States Air Force Veteran

Robert Bateman, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom

Jason Bensley, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Stephen Benson, United States Navy Veteran: Vietnam War

Keith Boyea, United States Air Force Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom

Xavier Burgos, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Tony Camerino, United States Air Force Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Stephanie Driessel, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

LeighAnn Dunn, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

David Ramiro Duran, United States Army Veteran

Robin Eckstein, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Rick Hegdahl, United States Navy Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Chris Holman, United States Army Veteran

Melanie Howie, United States Air Force Veteran

Mitchell Howie, United States Air Force Veteran

Keith Jeffreys, United States Army Veteran

Tara Jones, United States Navy Veteran: Gulf War Era

Jason Macon, United States Marine Corps Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Lamar Mapp, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Brian McGough, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom

Neal McGough, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Andrew Nixon, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Parker Ormsby, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom

Matt Osborne, United States Army Veteran

Jackie Rodgers, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Terron Sims II, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Richard Allen Smith, United States Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Shannon Smyth, United States Air Force Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Ryan Sullivan, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom

Mike Stark, United States Marine Corps Veteran

Armondo Telles, United States Marine Corps Veteran

Catherine Trombley, United States Air Force Veteran

Colm Walker, United Staes Army Veteran: Operation Enduring Freedom

Bobby Wise, United States Army Veteran: Operation Iraqi Freedom

• Lazarus changed the title to Black Lives Matter Movement