Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Genome

2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics

Now they are reviewing the photo finish to determine the winner. They are giving the same time to both swimmers.

Apparently Gianiotis lost the gold medal because he failed to touch the finish board while the Dutch swimmer did even though it appeared that Gianiottis crossed the finish line ahead of him.

Gianiotis gets the silver medal.

Why blew it, OH?

Same time after 10K of swimming. It should be a tie. Ergo two gold medals.

And we must be proud. It is the first medal after 120 years in swimming.

Overall a good day and good games for a EllinoOllando like me.

I think awarding a gold to both athletes would have been fair considering they were both given the same finish time. In the picture below it looks like Gianniotis (white cap) crosses the line first. 

spyros_0.jpg?itok=7YoCRt1Q

• Like it 1

I'm still proud of Gianniotis, he was around 12th position in the race and surged his way to a medal. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

We have secured a medal in Sailing, 470 class. Medal race is tomorrow, but we are guaranteed a medal and can even get the gold.

I am watching the Greece - Italy quarterfinal water polo game and we are playing very badly. Losing 2:0 after 1st quarter. We need to pick it up.

Italy 4:2 Greece halftime, playing a little better, need a strong 2nd half performance by Greece. 

We are having hard time scoring. We are lucky we are not down by a bigger margin.

Well, all I can say is this Greek water polo team didn't expect to reach the quarterfinals. It's a very young team and in years to come they will get better. 

• Like it 1

9:5 the final score. Disappointing showing. 

Sweden eliminated Brazil, once again.....on penalty kicks lol 

Sweden and Germany will be fighting for the gold, Canada and Brazil for the bronze. 

Douvalidis didn't not reach the finals as he missed it by 0.06 seconds (13.47). 

But, even if he reached the finals, he would not have won the medal anyways. 
However, a Cypriot made a historic final appearance in any track event, finished 7th in the 110 m hurdle finals. 

Woman's Pole Vault final on 20/08 will include Ekaterina Stefanidi who qualified equal best 4.60m, is a chance for a medal.

I read a little about her, she was a student at Stanford University 

She now lives in Ohio with her husband/coach.

We have secured a medal in Sailing, 470 class. Medal race is tomorrow, but we are guaranteed a medal and can even get the gold.

According to ESPN, the event is suppose to start noon local time CT 

So far, nothing is updated on the event. It still shows Greece has 4 medals. 

Sailing races have been postponed until tomorrow due to lack of winds, including the 470 Medal Race. If they are not able to run the race again tomorrow, then the current standings will become the final and official results, which would mean we get a silver medal. 

Later today Tsakonas is running in the semifinals of 200m in prime time, so we should be able to see the race on NBC. I think his race is at 8:00 pm CDT.

• Like it 1

Tomorrow morning, I believe Maria Prevolaraki will wrestle in the 53 kg freestyle event. 

Edited by Molon Lave

I watched the women's 200 m finals, that Dutch woman is incredible! Too bad she got silver, she wasn't too happy about that. 

• Like it 1

Mantis and Kagialis won bronze at the 470!!

And we have the first busted medalwinner. Weightlifter Izzat Artykov of Kirgystan took strychnine to win his bronze medal. Mosquera might win this medal now, but that is up to IOC and IWF.

Edited by Dutch Eagle

Mantis and Kagialis won bronze at the 470!!

Finished with same points as 2nd Australia, but got the bronze because we lost to them in the medal race. We finished in last place right behind Australia. Apparently we were ahead of them most of the race and only in the end they passed us.