Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

lol I remember a poster in the old greeksoccer forums stating Katsouranis is 'the Greek Pirlo'.

Careful, he just started posting again. Also, don't make skanky mad, he gets real mean.

Okay so the Euro is over and it even though I watched the games it still sucked not having our team represented, especially when you see the likes of teams like Albania, Hungary and so on. The focus now turns completely to the WC and our team better smarten the F*** up because I can't handle missing another tournament and going through this s%$#! again. Skibbe better have a plan and get he s%$#! together and start getting this team to play organized hard to break down soccer.

• Like it 1

Non-Greek football fans actually predict our team being able to surpass Belgium as well if it straightens up. Only us greek are that miserable. Belgium pointed out once more what a meme team they are. Couldnt win any serious opponents like Italy, Couldnt win mediocre teams like Wales (Im aware that theirwhole defence was missing however).

Let's put it this way. One player was a starting midfielder for Roma and the other was on his last legs playing at PAOK as a center-back. You can fully disagree with me on that all you like.

He has 2 years to prove me wrong if he manages to get a good transfer and become a fundamental player of a team like benfica.

If he keeps taking transfers to serie a bottom teams (And I dont mean the teams fighting relegation, anything beyond Napoli,Inter,Juve,Milan,Fiorentina,Roma is a mediocre team at best) he won't evolve to a player like Katsouranis.

By the way you are aware that on that period Roma was not today's team right  ?  Roma from 2010-2013 was finishing like 5th-7th if i remember correctly.

I can fully disagree with you on that all I like , since the fact that with Katsouranis departing from the NT (not only as a player but also as a presense) we ve missed a Euro Albania,Hungary, Northern Ireland and Czech Republic didn't miss.

You are not proving me wrong by just saying "muh Katsouranis < Tachtsidis".

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Ellas it is confirmed, when you go to fifa.com go to the groups and click on Gibraltar and it will show they play Greece on September 6th. for some reason when you click on Greece it doesn't show them playing Gibraltar but I thinks its just not updated yet.

As I was drinking my half Bravo half Turkish coffee, and watering  pots with gardenias, I received a vision I will share. The Hellenes will top their group, Yes, and Belgium will be 3rd below Bosnia-Hertsegovina. They have hazos Hazard but we have Fortounis !! We are on the way back baby! Pot two will be for Bosnia. Won't-the-true-Enthniki-please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.

K Papas isn't so valuable as Skibbe won't play 3 CB's, with wingbacks. Nonetheless, we will be ready after the Netherlands match.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

As I was drinking my half Bravo half Turkish coffee, and watering  pots with gardenias, I received a vision I will share. The Hellenes will top their group, Yes, and Belgium will be 3rd below Bosnia-Hertsegovina. They have hazos Hazard but we have Fortounis !! We are on the way back baby! Pot two will be for Bosnia. Won't-the-true-Enthniki-please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.

K Papas isn't so valuable as Skibbe won't play 3 CB's, with wingbacks. Nonetheless, we will be ready after the Netherlands match.

What ?

I sure wanna agree with you! And ive said that we have the players to chop off a few points from Belgium. Dont think we will take 1st spot however.
Playoffs will be hard for this WC, with teams like Netherlands/France and Spain/Italy in the playoffs , since we ll be an unseeded team we have like 50% chance of facing them. Other possible teams like Turkey, Ukraine, Poland, Wales, Slovakia are still tough opponents.

Skankster, Spain, Italy (with Greece colours) and Wales will probably qualify straight up, I still say we will top the group. I insist we went through a mongrel of a rebuilding cycle with multiple negatives that occured, this coach has worked out his 4 2 3 1 with us and we will be ready.

As I was drinking my half Bravo half Turkish coffee, and watering pots with gardenias, I received a vision I will share. The Hellenes will top their group, Yes, and Belgium will be 3rd below Bosnia-Hertsegovina. They have hazos Hazard but we have Fortounis !! We are on the way back baby! Pot two will be for Bosnia. Won't-the-true-Enthniki-please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.

K Papas isn't so valuable as Skibbe won't play 3 CB's, with wingbacks. Nonetheless, we will be ready after the Netherlands match.

Aus I like your DREAM while you were watering your plants but in reality you've said this a few times now that we've gone through our rebuild and we have turned the corner, my question to you is what are you basing this on?? I hope it's not on the one win against a very week Australia team. I personally think we've been juggling our line way to much and that we have not shown any significant change that will indicate that we've turned the corner. What have you seen from this coach and team that gives you so much confidence because maybe I'm missing something. I would have had confidence in this team if they held clean sheets and have gotten wins and draws by playing an organized style after the Euro but unfortunately I've seen nothing like that yet.

Belgium is much better than us. We'll have to play extremely well to get an edge over them. As a favourite for the euro they did dissapoint, but they're still one of the best world sides and they were without two of their best defensive players = Dembele & Kompany, two players that are arguably better than any Greek player.

It's not impossible that we can scrape a 1-0 or 0-0 if we play well and they play poor though. We'll see what the soccer gods say.

• Like it 1

Re Paithia na poume, rebuilding and instability as I put it, takes up to afew years at times. Since the Turkey game, the team has looked like it has direction, for long periods, not in disarray like during qualifications, even during the horror Euro period, we never got smashed.

Skibbe gives the impression he demands authority and the players look as though they have bought into what their roles are for him. Ranieri and Markarian never captured the team's respect and Karagounis couldn't work with Markarian. It was in all a dark period for a multitude of reasons.

Santos would demand authority and made clear what every player's role was, he knew his player's abilities inside out.

That high press against Australia now that you mention it J1078, was as good as England was a week earlier. It was even more impressive to go way ahead against Iceland. Once the misfiring is gone, Greece will be consistent again. I like positive outlooks and they will come back from doom and gloom. 

Skankster, Spain, Italy (with Greece colours) and Wales will probably qualify straight up, I still say we will top the group. I insist we went through a mongrel of a rebuilding cycle with multiple negatives that occured, this coach has worked out his 4 2 3 1 with us and we will be ready.

No.

Spain is in the same group with Italy.

France is in the same groups with Netherlands

2 of these 4 will be in the play offs.

Wales is in the same group with Poland and the truth is they are a meme team. 

They did well at the EURO but that's just it, and it was one of the worst Euros possible, resultwise.

I like the dream, now can it come true?

I don't think so. Belgium will be to much for us. They will finish 1st. They have to much talent.

I'm hoping and praying we can at least get 2nd spot then it becomes 50/50.

But I really think we will finish 3rd. I'm probably going to get shot for that. But I see no hope.

Coach who's lost, players with no passion to put on the shirt.

Greece needs to invest in the youth. We need a world class facility, proper youth coaches. Proper youth system.

I like the dream, now can it come true?

I don't think so. Belgium will be to much for us. They will finish 1st. They have to much talent.

I'm hoping and praying we can at least get 2nd spot then it becomes 50/50.

But I really think we will finish 3rd. I'm probably going to get shot for that. But I see no hope.

Coach who's lost, players with no passion to put on the shirt.

Greece needs to invest in the youth. We need a world class facility, proper youth coaches. Proper youth system.

Belgium is a meme team nothing to be scared of.

Sure they are better noone doubts it. But which other team's golden generation would lose to the worst team in the round of 8 (after iceland of course).

Everyone , everywhere talking about Hazard, Lukaku,, Carrasco, De Bruyne even a player who was considered/and still is the best Winger to pass from Olympiakos can't even fit in that squad.

Everyone talking about Portugal's "easy" route to the final while Belgium's was far easier.

Sure , Wales was the surprise of the tournament but not a top 4 team, and they managed to lose from it.

And don't tell me about absences, As I said preivously Hazard , Lukaku and Co should have scored more than once against Wales.

So back to Belgium as a team, eveyrone is talking about their golden generation but they really havent managed much.Definately overrated. They only performed well against 2 teams, Ireland and Hungary. Our NT beat them both in the last 2-3 years.

They re far better than us. They have and will have the upper hand at the matches against us , but im glad its Belgium and not France,Spain,Italy,Germany or anyone else. They just got a new coach so thair campaign might not exactly work out.

Its good for us that Bosnia has bad defence. Maybe a big Goal difference in Bel-Bih matches makes us favors on head2head record.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic