Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Tomorrow, Fox Sports 1 will be showing Portugal - Switzerland and I will be watching that match rooting for Portugal to win. 

not the appropriate topic but since most of you have heard about the nations league thing going up next september..that's our group if we do beat gibraltar

serbia, albania, norway, greece

Just now, Boxou said:

not the appropriate topic but since most of you have heard about the nations league thing going up next september..that's our group if we do beat gibraltar

Way too good to be true are you sure? And if we win we go to the Euros or something?

Right now at the moment the playoff seedings would be this

SEEDED 
Portugal or Switzerland 
Italy
Croatia 
Northern Ireland

UNSEEDED 
Sweden
Denmark 
Republic of Ireland
Greece 

26 minutes ago, Boxou said:

I haven heard of that until now so I just googled it. Nice that means every summer we get some type of tournament right? World Cup, the following summer nations tournament and the summer after that euro? Is that right?

I calculated the October rankings for the playoff teams:

Seeded:

Switzerland/Portugal 

Italy 

Croatia

Denmark

Unseeded:

Sweden 

Northern Ireland 

Ireland 

Greece

We have a good team, but I don't like our chances of going to the world cup. Hopefully we draw Denmark or Croatia. 

Note: even if Sweden beats the Netherlands, they will be unseeded. 

Edited by maggica

We can beat any of the seeded teams on our day. But I would think that we must fill our stadium (oaka).  hope that we play at home in the second leg.  Cause we can play our old fashioned style defensive football away first scrape a nil all draw and then come to Athens and get the job done. I would love to knock Italy out but then again I wouldn't want to lose to them either.

Denmark would be by far the best team to draw.

• Like it 1

24 minutes ago, maggica said:

I calculated the October rankings for the playoff teams:

Seeded:

Switzerland/Portugal 

Italy 

Croatia

Denmark

Unseeded:

Sweden 

Northern Ireland 

Ireland 

Greece

We have a good team, but I don't like our chances of going to the world cup. Hopefully we draw Denmark or Croatia. 

Note: even if Sweden beats the Netherlands, they will be unseeded. 

I like our chances vs Croatia, they have a lot of big name players Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, etc. but they always seem to disappoint. Portugal with Santos played the Greek defensive system to a tee in the Euros and they barely generated a quality opportunity on goal. If I had to pick one of the 4 i would say Denmark aside from Erickson who do they have?

Croatia will be looking to seek revenge from the EURO 2012 qualifying. They are a dangerous  side. 

13 hours ago, J1078 said:

I haven heard of that until now so I just googled it. Nice that means every summer we get some type of tournament right? World Cup, the following summer nations tournament and the summer after that euro? Is that right?

well in fact scratch that, that's our pot which means we can't draw any of them. instead we'll get;

from pot 1; one of romania, hungary, scotland, slovenia

from pot 3; one of montenegro, isreal, bulgaria, finland

from pot 4; one of cyprus, estonia, lithuania

winners of each group will play in the semi finals and then in the final. 

this system guarantees an extra ticker for the european championship and means if we don't get there from our qualifying group we'd still have a chance by winning this one. in general it replaces the old system of friendly games. these games will be played between next september to next november while the semi finals around june of 19. 

euro qualification starts on march of 19.

• Like it 2

15 hours ago, Limnos77 said:

^^^I think Croatia will be more wary of us rather than any kind of revenge seeking 

Agreed, they played well vs Ukraine but i don't think they would want to draw us. 

Since many people here don't like Tziolis, losing him won't be a big deal. 

Do the seeded teams automatically start the first game of the playoffs at home?

Don't think so, I think they just draw them randomly from two pots. 

Just checked this video (previous World Cup playoff draw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxpXVw7fUM

They draw from two pots and place the balls in a third pot and then draw from there to see who will be the home team and who the away,  for the first leg.

Edited by Chris Tsamados
  • Like it 1

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup-qualifying-uefa/story/3225421/switzerland-and-italy-among-seeds-for-world-cup-qualifying-playoff-draw

We will face croatia, denmark, switzerland, or italy. 

Italy barely beat Albania, I think we could take on all of them. The reason Greece does good against european teams most of the time is because most of them dont have much speed. its why we get killed against teams like brazil or colombia. 

• Like it 1

Ok, so it’s going to be Switzerland, Italy, Croatia or Denmark... who would we prefer to draw? Who do we absolutely not want to draw?

Absolutely not want to draw : Italy

Would rather avoid: Switzerland & Croatia (bot considering that we dodged Italy that would be a fair draw)
Want to draw: Denmark - one man team with Erikssen. Decent squad overall but nothing to be afraid for us and definately much less quality than the other 3. 

Croatia are the only team that ended 2nd coz of underperformingso I would put them 2nd in preference.

Don't let the fact that Albania put up a fight against Italy and Macedonia took the draw from them. As soon as the Group was realistically finished (after spain defeat) they were uninterested in the rest matches and probably conserving power as it did not matter. Not to mention that had they drawn Albania they would probably be unseeded.

Whoever we get I give us minimum chances to qualify. I still believe coz I love this team but I think the play offs is the maximum of our capabilities currently.

I just watched Torosidis interview and they asked who he prefers and he said it doesn't matter who we get but if I had my choice to avoid one team it would be Italy as I know how they play in big games.. 

On 20/06/2016 at 12:45 AM, Greekaroos said:

I think the national team coach Michael Skibbe would of found a lot of positives from the long trip away in Australia for the two FIFA international friendly matches in Sydney & Melbourne against Australia. A long trip away is good for team morale & bonding. The boss can work on new playing systems or tactics. New players together with fringe players stepped in & impressed while some of Greece's star players like Mitroglou, Manolas, Fortounis, Karelis, Siovvas & Ninis stayed home to freshen up & shake off injuries. Some of Greece's senior players like Papastathopoulos, Samaris, Maniatis, Holebas & Torosidis were Greece's best players.

TOROSIDIS CITES TRIP DOWN UNDER AS GREECE’S TURNING POINT

Greece captain Vasilis Torosidis said that last summer’s trip to Australia was the turning point in helping the team recover from the shock of missing out on Euro 2016 and qualify for the World Cup playoffs. 

Michael Skibbe’s team booked their place in the playoffs following a straightforward 4-0 home win over whipping boys Gibraltar on Tuesday which saw them end their Group H campaign in second place and go through as one of the best runners-up.

The unseeded Greeks will now enter next week’s draw and face one of European football’s big guns in the playoffs which will take place next month.

And Torosidis, who scored the first goal in the 4-0 win at the Georgios Karaiskakis stadium in Piraeus, says the key to Greece’s consistency in this campaign was a soul-searching trip to Australia to play two friendlies in the summer of 2016.

“The poor performances before that time when we failed to qualify for the Euro (2016) was not normal by our standards,” said Torosidis.

He added: “The defeats to the Faroe Islands, without underestimating our opponents, were something unprecedented for us. We closed that chapter though and sought to move on. 
During that trip to Australia we all sat down, players and coaches, as well as the administration, and did a lot of talking and solved a lot of issues.”

Greece visited Australia for two friendlies in June 2016, losing one match against the Socceroos 1-0 while winning the other 2-1, before returning to embark on what has been an impressive qualifying campaign for Russia 2018.

“We know we will have a difficult draw,” said Torosidis of the upcoming World Cup playoff draw. “All the teams are very good at this stage; let's just hope we avoid Italy,” he added.
“We have shown what kind of team we can be during the last few months and we are almost there.”

For his part, coach Michael Skibbe said he doesn’t mind who Greece are paired with in the draw, which takes place next Tuesday, October 17.

“My goal since taking charge of the team has always been to qualify for the World Cup and I think we’ll make it through the playoffs,” said the German.

“I don’t have a particular preference in terms of the team we will face. I’m just happy that we’ve made it and let’s see next week who we will be drawn with,” he added, before highlighting the unity in his squad as a key factor.

“If you don’t play as a compact unit then you can’t do it. We’ve been successful because we do just that. Everybody is playing their part and playing for the team.”
“I think it’s been a very impressive and professional qualifying campaign from our side. Although we had some poor results lately drawing at home with Estonia and then losing to Belgium but in the end this point we got against Estonia was still important.”