Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

I would like to get a goal over there. Come back with a 1-1 or even a 1-0 win, would be nice. A 0-0 away is risky, because if you concede at home then you have to score twice.

• Like it 3

27 minutes ago, Megas said:

How do they compare to Belgium?

Belgium: 9 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses / 43 GF, 6 GA

Croatia (with a slightly deeper group but no powerhouse): 6 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses / 15 GF, 4 GA

Greece (in a group with with powerhouse Belgium): 5 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss / 17 GF, 6 GA

There is an evident gap between Belgium and Croatia and Greece gave Belgium their toughest matches since Euro 2016 that could have easily ended in a win and a draw. Greece and Croatia look very evenly matched.

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 4

20 minutes ago, Megas said:

How do they compare to Belgium?

Croatia are solid. talented side that will be difficult to break down. In that sense they are harder for us, but they are not as menacing going forward. I have no doubt that their tactics will be to not concede a goal at home.

We can beat them. Do we have the exact dates announced yet?

-edit- looks like the 9th and 12th

Edited by pash
  • Like it 1

1 hour ago, Argy said:

Belgium: 9 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses / 43 GF, 6 GA

Croatia (with a slightly deeper group but no powerhouse): 6 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses / 15 GF, 4 GA

Greece (in a group with with powerhouse Belgium): 5 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss / 17 GF, 6 GA

There is an evident gap between Belgium and Croatia and Greece gave Belgium their toughest matches since Euro 2016 that could have easily ended in a win and a draw. Greece and Croatia look very evenly matched.

Croatia have skilled players Modric, Rakitic, and Perisic, but they are not even close to what Belgium can throw out on the pitch. Greece hung in there with Belgium and we will be able to play with Croatia. Listened to the draw on nova sport and one of the commentators just before draw said give me Croatia. I would have preferred Denmark but thank God we did not draw Italy. We can do this! Go Greece!

• Like it 2

Greece v Croatia positionally:

GK: Karnezis (Watford) v Subasic (Monaco): Once your keeper is a certain class, as both these keepers are, it is hard to distinguish an edge even though the latter has more playing time at a top club. I would call this a draw. Both players will do their job at a high level. 

Defense:

Sokratis, Manolas, Papadopoulos, Torosidis, Retsos, Stafylidis, Tzavellas > Lovren, Vida, Mitrovic, Vrsaljko, Pivaric

Midfield:

Samaris, Zeca, Tachtsidis, Fortounis, Mantalos, Tziolis < Modric, Rakitic, Badelj, Perisic, Rog

Attack:

Mitroglou, Donis, Karelis, Gianniotas, Lazaros = Mandzukic, Kramaric, Cop

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 3

1 hour ago, Argy said:

In its current state, Croatia look to be the 3rd strongest seeded team behind Italy and Switzerland. They finished runners up to a mediocre Iceland team in a deep group I, but without a superpower. Then again, Croatia was supposed to be that superpower but failed to take control.

As for us, we put ourselves in this position and can't expect an easy draw. Let us hope our stars stay healthy, in form and Manolas recovers on time.  

Good points, plus Croatia tied Finland at home a game I watched and Finland were unlucky not to have come away with the win. 

Ooof, Croatia. Tough draw. Very tough opponent. We can say we avoided Italy but for me they are no doubt the next best. 

We can win, but will have to play our best football in four years to advance. 

Even though Croatia have bigger name players I also am glad we avoided the Swiss. We tend to typically play better against better offensive teams that have a weaker defence. Lets be honest We are going to park the bus and try and defend like hell and try to frustrate them and hope we can attack on the counter or off a set piece. This is the way we win... Everyone can call it "anti football" or Ugly boring soccer" I say who gives a s%&#036;#&#33; we are who we are. We have a solid back end and we need to use it to our advantage.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 4

Can you imagine the angst the Croatians will feel if we hold them for say  30 minutes then an hour? I see them coming attacking us hard and hopefully we get a chance on the counter and we put a goal in on them. Another thing that works to our advantage is that Croatia before the Finland match thought they were going direct to Russia and now they squandered there opportunity and now have to play us. There are not to many Croatians happy with drawing Greece! Pressure is on them!

croatia is tough. and their group was really hard. yeah they had no superpower but iceland ukraine and turkey are all tough teams for just 1 group.

Not a bad draw, if our defense plays the way it can we should be able to hold off Mandzukic, Rakitic and Mondric...jeez they have two of the best midfielders in the world though, these guys will need to marked like flies on poop if we wanna progress. Let's also hope Mitro is in shape.

• Like it 1

The first game is they. We must not lose in Zagreb, and hope for one goal on counter attacks. Besides winning, a 1:1 tie would be an ideal result. 

• Like it 1

The fixtures are in guys

First leg - November 9 20:45 in Zagreb 

Second leg - November 12 21:45 in Piraeus 

• Like it 1

40 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Was the worst team of the 4 to get. I would have been happy with Italy instead.

no way. Italy has just as good of defense as us if not better, plus they actually have a midfield. if they were only able to get Icardi as a striker they would be world cup contenders. they've had a hole in striker position for a long time now besides Balotelli's flash in the pan.

Croatia has a weak D and great attacking force. These kind of teams are our specialty. Probably the best draw besides Denmark.

Still will be very tough. Way harder than Ukraine and Romania. I could even see this going into extra time.

Edited by georgelaz