Jump to content
Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Recommended Posts

RED SHERIFF    661

but the question is will Androutsos, Manthiatis and Siopis play much meaningful club football this season..?

If not then a WC call up may not be justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argy    157

Things are looking pretty bleak no matter what we do the rest of the way. 

Turkey's win today puts us in a bad spot. Wales will have to draw or lose to ireland in last match day.

Too much needs to happen. How did we ever get ourselves in this position...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1078    302

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/all-the-wrong-moves

This article is spot on and it explains exactly what everyone is saying and thinking.. This is the true reason we blew it against Estonia and it has to do with Skibbe.. Why is he so blind when it comes to call ups? Skibbe has taken us back to defensive soccer which is good but he's killings us and costing us games with his selections and subs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean97    158
11 minutes ago, J1078 said:

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/all-the-wrong-moves

This article is spot on and it explains exactly what everyone is saying and thinking.. This is the true reason we blew it against Estonia and it has to do with Skibbe.. Why is he so blind when it comes to call ups? Skibbe has taken us back to defensive soccer which is good but he's killings us and costing us games with his selections and subs. 

I was just about to post that haha. The thing is subs don't make much sense. More so his call ups make no sense. 

Does anyone know why exactly Fetfatzidis doesn't get called up? Imagine him coming on and linking up with Fortounis and Donis. 

Androutsos should have been called up. Tziolis should not play again if he does it's a crime. Pelkas, Lazaros and even Androutsos should be considered for the wide options... I don't want to see Mantalos on the wing again. 

What Skibbe should was call up Pelkas or even play Gianniotas right midfield and have Zeca as the right back. Zeca did well at right wing. 

Also inform players like Masouras, Galanopoulos and Bakakis need to be looked at. 

The biggest mistake Skibbe did was not play Tachtsidis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellada2004    21

^Well put his selections don't make sense. Many of us here can't understand why Fetfa never gets a look? Also why has the EPO not set up any friendly games this year? I really hope we get to the playoffs and qualify or else it's going to be really hard to wait until 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean97    158
17 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

^Well put his selections don't make sense. Many of us here can't understand why Fetfa never gets a look? Also why has the EPO not set up any friendly games this year? I really hope we get to the playoffs and qualify or else it's going to be really hard to wait until 2020.

I agree we need 2 wins next nothing else if Bosnia can lose to Belgium we should be fine. There's other talented players like Lamprou and Limnios who can get called up but players like Pelkas, Lazaros and Androutsos should be first to be called up. 

Also Tachtsidis and Gianniotas who are currently in the team should be given more game time instead of Tziolis and Bakasetas. 

Will Skibbe now see that Vellios, Diamantakos and Tziolis are not good enough? Also if you don't want to call up Fetfatzidis then don't call up Tziolis. Simple. There are more worthy players out there. Bouchalakis and Kourbelis might have to impress and lift their game even more so that Tziolis is not even considered. 

I have to say that our crosses are very poor. Tzavellas and Stafylidis can hit a good a cross. Maniatis can't and Retsos can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maggica    35
1 hour ago, J1078 said:

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/all-the-wrong-moves

This article is spot on and it explains exactly what everyone is saying and thinking.. This is the true reason we blew it against Estonia and it has to do with Skibbe.. Why is he so blind when it comes to call ups? Skibbe has taken us back to defensive soccer which is good but he's killings us and costing us games with his selections and subs. 

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if certain players are called up, played, or excluded due to corrupt reasons. Certain players in the past, such as Amanatidis, have hinted about that in interviews.  Perhaps player agents bribe to get their player called up, or the EPO wants certain players called up etc... Skibbe's hands may be tied. 

Chalkias starting in Euro 2012...Vyntra starting in world cup 2010 instead of kyrgiakos...tziolis starting important matches even though he is mediocre, at best...the list goes on and on and on. 

Nicolo Macchiavelli said to always assume incompetence before conspiracy.  Most of the baffling squad decisions were/are probably due to negligence.  However, something is wrong here.  Greece is also a corrupt country, so corruption has irrefutably extended to the soccer domain.

 

On a brighter note, if Greece beats Cyprus and Gibraltar, I like our chances of being one of the top 8 second place teams. Lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I was just about to post that haha. The thing is subs don't make much sense. More so his call ups make no sense. 

Does anyone know why exactly Fetfatzidis doesn't get called up? Imagine him coming on and linking up with Fortounis and Donis. 

Androutsos should have been called up. Tziolis should not play again if he does it's a crime. Pelkas, Lazaros and even Androutsos should be considered for the wide options... I don't want to see Mantalos on the wing again. 

What Skibbe should was call up Pelkas or even play Gianniotas right midfield and have Zeca as the right back. Zeca did well at right wing. 

Also inform players like Masouras, Galanopoulos and Bakakis need to be looked at. 

The biggest mistake Skibbe did was not play Tachtsidis. 

 

My dear friend do you remember when in 2010 and 2012 we had a midfield of Katsouranis Karagounis Tziolis/Maniatis and people complaining that Katsou and Kara are too old? You wanted Tachtsidis / Kone / Ninis and every random person in there. I even remember discussions about Vlachodimos (the wanna-be- professional winger of B Gallias) deserving a call up. 

Do you remember after 2014 where Karagounis/Katsouranis sorta retired we had no cohesense in the midfield and lost to teams like Finland/Faroe Islands/Romania? The image of those matches was the same. Apart from 1-2 in the Euro 2016 campaign we looked shitte in all matches and we were actually the worst team. Not resultwise but THE WORST DAMN TEAM on the field vs Faroe Finland Romania and many many more. The reason was simple. We didnt have Karagounis and Katsouranis no more. Maniatis started being benched. Kone lost all motivation for his career and football in general and Tachtsidis proved to be no Katsouranis.
You ask for Skibbe to play Tachtsidis? Last time he did it vs Belgium he takes 50% of the blame for the draw because he left us with 10 men for 30+ minutes. But suddently you forgot it. Tziolis did nothing too good vs Belgium but he barely did 1-2 mistakes, fewer than many of our players. He is good at freezing the rhythm and that's why skibbe prefers him. Tachtsidis attributes are his height and his long pass. When we play Gibraltar and need goals or Cyprus he might be used.

Zeca was the back of De Bruyne. Skibbe can literally ask him to make an opponent MF player vanish from the field and he will do it. He did it with Pjanic he did it with De Bruyne.  Teams like Bosnia  who are literally too reliant upon a few names we literally have the advantage based on Karolos Zekas (or maybe Karolos Zekakis,Zekouranis Zekagounis)

 

I will remain to my aspect. It took Skibbe 7 months to take a team from 1win/4draws/7defeats in 12 matches (friendlies counted in the 2014-16 period) to make a team that can draw Belgium and Bosnia.

The thing is , even with the bad result of Estonia and Belgium. The team DID DEFINATELY NOT look like the sh!th0le it was under Ranieri Markarian and Tsanas. We dominated the whle game vs Estonia and just lacked that 1-0 goal that we usually scraped. Even if we do not qualify, even if we end up as the 9th team, as long as we finish 2nd in this Group Skibbe has totally transformed them from zero to hero. The only game we looked bad was vs Bosnia home. 

Rome was not build in a day. A team that missed the Euro finishing last in a Group (a non typical qualification ranking I suppose would be somewhere between 46-53) has now many possibilities to be in UEFA's top 18 for this qualification.

You keep asking for a new coach but you never gonna accept the fact that we are no Germany/ France/Italy/ Spain/ England. The only coach in recent days of Greek football that has heard nothing is Ouzounidis. Everyone, reporters and fans, say nothing against him. The only thing you ll listen is "kai ti na kanei aftos re m#$%! me toso xamhlou epipedou paiktes". Bento had the worst roster of Olympiakos in the last 10 years and he literally got us further in Europe than all these seasons. Yet everyone called Bento bad. It's easy to blame Skibbe, because it's easier to replace one person and not 23 as the call ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argy    157

Really our only reasonable avenue is through the Group D teams.

Assuming Bosnia drop a point and we beat Cyprus 1-0 followed by Gibraltar. Greece will finish second with 19 pts and at 13 pts  +4 in the playoff group.

On Oct 6, safe to assume Ireland will beat Moldova by whatever and lets assume Wales beat Georgia 2-0.

Wales will stay second with 17 pts, ireland 3rd with 16. In the playoff group, Wales will be at 11 pts + 3, Ireland 10 pts +1.

On the last matchday, Wales are at home to Rep of Ireland. If Wales wins they will finish 2nd in group D and with 14 pts leapfrog Greece in the playoff group. If they draw, Wales will finish 2nd in the group and have 12 pts in the playoff group (below 13 pt Greece). If Ireland wins, they will finish 2nd and have 13 pts in the playoff group, tied with Greece, but will have to beat Wales by 3 or 4 goals if they want to overtake (minimum)+4 Greece in GD.

So assuming we get the job done, Wales just cannot beat Rep of Ireland.

This will go down to the final seconds of the final matchday for us. 

 

Edited by Argy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paokarag4    166

Doesn't sound too bad tbh and doesn't sound too far fetched either. Georgia will not be an easy beat for Wales away, so the Georgians may help us out. As you say argy, its gonna be real tight and go down to the wire, first things first though, we need to take care of ourselves before any of this is possible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1078    302

Bottom line we can waste our breath trying to analyze who will be last of the 2nd place teams but the reality is if Greece don't beat Cyprus or if Bosnia beat Belgium then there is no need to even bother with the other groups.. The Cyprus match will be very difficult as there new coach will not want a another lose under his belt and he will do everything he can to prove his worth and have Cyprus prepared so they can beat us or at least draw us.. This will NOT be an easy match for us.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1078    302
 

@Rockafeller Skank

No one is arguing the fact that  this campaign has been better then our last campaign that's not a question and yes Skibbe is using the NT to its strengths which is our defence and that's good but everyone including the media is very upset with his call ups and the OUT OF FORM PLAYERS he choose to play against Estonia which was a MUST WIN. YOu don't need Tziolis in that game and you shouldn't start Vellios when he hasn't started a game for ever and wasn't in game shape. He also had Taxi and Staf he could have played... Forget the fact that we tied Estonia for a second but the problem is we didn't tie Estonia with our best possible line up that's the problem as we didn't give ourselves the best chance to win and that's what bothers everybody. We had almost NO shots on net especially in the second so why didn't Skibbe then make changes that made sense to bring more offence? You can refer back to the Faroe Islands and us blowing leads against s%$#! team but you still can't play scared and you still need to go for the win against teams that are much weaker then you. In a World Cup qualifying campaign the margin for error is so slim that you CANNOT afford to not get 3 points against teams below you. If we played our best possible line up against Estonia and we still got the same result then so be it as it would have been on the players for not coming through but Skibbe didn't even give us a chance to win with his selections. He made a huge mistake by looking ahead and resting players to be ready for the Belgium match and he completely screwed the team by not playing his best line up against Estonia and then let the chips fall where they would have against Belgium as Estonia was the more important game for us. Nobody would have started players that haven't played in months and are out of form when you have inform players not being called up. I'm not blaming him for everything and Like I said I do like his defence first mentality but he has to be one of the worst coaches we've seen for selecting players in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean97    158
10 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

 

My dear friend do you remember when in 2010 and 2012 we had a midfield of Katsouranis Karagounis Tziolis/Maniatis and people complaining that Katsou and Kara are too old? You wanted Tachtsidis / Kone / Ninis and every random person in there. I even remember discussions about Vlachodimos (the wanna-be- professional winger of B Gallias) deserving a call up. 

Do you remember after 2014 where Karagounis/Katsouranis sorta retired we had no cohesense in the midfield and lost to teams like Finland/Faroe Islands/Romania? The image of those matches was the same. Apart from 1-2 in the Euro 2016 campaign we looked shitte in all matches and we were actually the worst team. Not resultwise but THE WORST DAMN TEAM on the field vs Faroe Finland Romania and many many more. The reason was simple. We didnt have Karagounis and Katsouranis no more. Maniatis started being benched. Kone lost all motivation for his career and football in general and Tachtsidis proved to be no Katsouranis.
You ask for Skibbe to play Tachtsidis? Last time he did it vs Belgium he takes 50% of the blame for the draw because he left us with 10 men for 30+ minutes. But suddently you forgot it. Tziolis did nothing too good vs Belgium but he barely did 1-2 mistakes, fewer than many of our players. He is good at freezing the rhythm and that's why skibbe prefers him. Tachtsidis attributes are his height and his long pass. When we play Gibraltar and need goals or Cyprus he might be used.

Zeca was the back of De Bruyne. Skibbe can literally ask him to make an opponent MF player vanish from the field and he will do it. He did it with Pjanic he did it with De Bruyne.  Teams like Bosnia  who are literally too reliant upon a few names we literally have the advantage based on Karolos Zekas (or maybe Karolos Zekakis,Zekouranis Zekagounis)

 

I will remain to my aspect. It took Skibbe 7 months to take a team from 1win/4draws/7defeats in 12 matches (friendlies counted in the 2014-16 period) to make a team that can draw Belgium and Bosnia.

The thing is , even with the bad result of Estonia and Belgium. The team DID DEFINATELY NOT look like the sh!th0le it was under Ranieri Markarian and Tsanas. We dominated the whle game vs Estonia and just lacked that 1-0 goal that we usually scraped. Even if we do not qualify, even if we end up as the 9th team, as long as we finish 2nd in this Group Skibbe has totally transformed them from zero to hero. The only game we looked bad was vs Bosnia home. 

Rome was not build in a day. A team that missed the Euro finishing last in a Group (a non typical qualification ranking I suppose would be somewhere between 46-53) has now many possibilities to be in UEFA's top 18 for this qualification.

You keep asking for a new coach but you never gonna accept the fact that we are no Germany/ France/Italy/ Spain/ England. The only coach in recent days of Greek football that has heard nothing is Ouzounidis. Everyone, reporters and fans, say nothing against him. The only thing you ll listen is "kai ti na kanei aftos re m#$%! me toso xamhlou epipedou paiktes". Bento had the worst roster of Olympiakos in the last 10 years and he literally got us further in Europe than all these seasons. Yet everyone called Bento bad. It's easy to blame Skibbe, because it's easier to replace one person and not 23 as the call ups.

I am thankful for where we are and what Skibbe has done. We are looking like a team again. I didn't say I want Skibbe out. But can you please tell me what Tziolis did so good in both matches. I'll wait... 

When you have a player like Tachtsidis tall, strong, good at long passing and has the best vision in the team. If you have him out of the team your creating more problems for yourself. Samaris could have easily done Tziolis job and better. Then you can have Tachtsidis spraying better passes forward. 

Also the reason why we we didn't do well was because of the coaches we had and they players were not playing as a team, which there was no unity. 

When you say that Tachtsidis is no Katsouranis I don't know what you mean? What would have Katsouranis done different in the games Tachtsidis played?

You are right Zeca has helped a lot. Our problem is and always will be is our strikers. Without Mitroglou what are we going to do. Unless we have decent wingers who can cross the ball and a number 10 that can't stop running and making chances for himself and teammates. Donis created chances not only for the team but for himself. Tzavellas was the only one who could cross a decent ball and look what happened we scored. 

Overall if Skibbe can not start Tziolis more and improve his subs we will take that next level. 

Also I do remember those days with the midfield we had. The last time we won with Tziolis in the team was 2013. That's saying something. Last thing remember when Tziolis came on against Belgium away we copped a goal from poor marking by Sokratis. Is that a coincidence?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jason    19

EPO is the problem call ups always fishy tsiolis is the new Katsoranis. Bith had there time but uts time for new players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellada2004    21

Remember the old saying in qualifying for major tournaments you have to win your home games, failing to beat Estonia at home may cost the team a chance at qualifying for the world cup. Tziolis ruined so many offensive attacks in both games by not playing the right ball or giving away possession. Almost everyone here and in the Greek media who follow this team agree that he should not be selected let alone be in the starting 11 plain and simple! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
georgelaz    381

out = maniatis, tziolis, diamantakos, velios

in = fetfa, pelkas, holebas, bouchalakis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellada2004    21

Tziolis,Vellios, and Diamantakos can't cut it. Maniatis ran hard last game and admire his efforts, he just doesn't have the ability to cross the ball. 

Like your in list, it would be great to have Holebas and Skibbe sit down and try to come to some understanding to bring him back in the fold. Feta and Holebas in the lineup vastly upgrades the NT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argy    157
13 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Tziolis,Vellios, and Diamantakos can't cut it. Maniatis ran hard last game and admire his efforts, he just doesn't have the ability to cross the ball. 

Like your in list, it would be great to have Holebas and Skibbe sit down and try to come to some understanding to bring him back in the fold. Feta and Holebas in the lineup vastly upgrades the NT.

No manager will go beg a player to come back after they unceremoniously quit the team. Holebas is already 33 years old, although it would have been nice to have him for this campaign, it's too late to initiate any sort of contact now. He played in his tournaments, got exposure that certainly helped him sign for bigger clubs and make more money, and then with the first bump in the road, he said farewell. I think he relieved without his NT duties; not to say he didn't care, but I don't believe he felt as tied to the crest and to his teammates either. 

 

Edited by Argy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×