Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Read that Sweden is confirmed unseeded. So Denmark will probably be in the play offs as seeded if France dont end up 2nd.

Knowing our luck from the playoffs we re gonna get Denmark.

Friendly reminder that in 2014 we could be facing Sweden and France but we got Romania instead.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Update on the playoffs 

Portugal 18 pts +18 
Italy 17 pts +4
Denmark 14 pts +7
Croatia 14 pts +4
Sweden 13 pts +10
Northern Ireland 13 pts +4
Greece 13 pts +4
Republic of Ireland 13 pts +2 
---------------------------------------------
Slovakia 12 pts +5 

ffs denmark would be AMAZING to get. 

basically denmark >> switzerland > italy > croatia for me.

we owe them something from that game in oaka for the 1998 wc qualification where we needed the win in if i'm not mistaken we hit the post twice in the last min..

as i said fifa would like to have italy around so they'll get nothern ireland, while i predict switzerland will get ireland and croatia-sweden

26 minutes ago, Boxou said:

not the appropriate topic but since most of you have heard about the nations league thing going up next september..that's our group if we do beat gibraltar

serbia, albania, norway, greece

I haven heard of that until now so I just googled it. Nice that means every summer we get some type of tournament right? World Cup, the following summer nations tournament and the summer after that euro? Is that right?

I calculated the October rankings for the playoff teams:

Seeded:

Switzerland/Portugal 

Italy 

Croatia

Denmark

Unseeded:

Sweden 

Northern Ireland 

Ireland 

Greece

We have a good team, but I don't like our chances of going to the world cup. Hopefully we draw Denmark or Croatia. 

Note: even if Sweden beats the Netherlands, they will be unseeded. 

Edited by maggica

We can beat any of the seeded teams on our day. But I would think that we must fill our stadium (oaka).  hope that we play at home in the second leg.  Cause we can play our old fashioned style defensive football away first scrape a nil all draw and then come to Athens and get the job done. I would love to knock Italy out but then again I wouldn't want to lose to them either.

Denmark would be by far the best team to draw.

• Like it 1

24 minutes ago, maggica said:

I calculated the October rankings for the playoff teams:

Seeded:

Switzerland/Portugal 

Italy 

Croatia

Denmark

Unseeded:

Sweden 

Northern Ireland 

Ireland 

Greece

We have a good team, but I don't like our chances of going to the world cup. Hopefully we draw Denmark or Croatia. 

Note: even if Sweden beats the Netherlands, they will be unseeded. 

I like our chances vs Croatia, they have a lot of big name players Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, etc. but they always seem to disappoint. Portugal with Santos played the Greek defensive system to a tee in the Euros and they barely generated a quality opportunity on goal. If I had to pick one of the 4 i would say Denmark aside from Erickson who do they have?

13 hours ago, J1078 said:

I haven heard of that until now so I just googled it. Nice that means every summer we get some type of tournament right? World Cup, the following summer nations tournament and the summer after that euro? Is that right?

well in fact scratch that, that's our pot which means we can't draw any of them. instead we'll get;

from pot 1; one of romania, hungary, scotland, slovenia

from pot 3; one of montenegro, isreal, bulgaria, finland

from pot 4; one of cyprus, estonia, lithuania

winners of each group will play in the semi finals and then in the final. 

this system guarantees an extra ticker for the european championship and means if we don't get there from our qualifying group we'd still have a chance by winning this one. in general it replaces the old system of friendly games. these games will be played between next september to next november while the semi finals around june of 19. 

euro qualification starts on march of 19.

• Like it 2

Don't think so, I think they just draw them randomly from two pots. 

Just checked this video (previous World Cup playoff draw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxpXVw7fUM

They draw from two pots and place the balls in a third pot and then draw from there to see who will be the home team and who the away,  for the first leg.

Edited by Chris Tsamados
  • Like it 1

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup-qualifying-uefa/story/3225421/switzerland-and-italy-among-seeds-for-world-cup-qualifying-playoff-draw

We will face croatia, denmark, switzerland, or italy. 

Italy barely beat Albania, I think we could take on all of them. The reason Greece does good against european teams most of the time is because most of them dont have much speed. its why we get killed against teams like brazil or colombia. 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic