Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

War on foreign soils is a different animal, compared to recession, as it doesn't tend to effect the pockets and morale of a nation. If you can barely afford to feed your children why would you care whats happening in a sport. 

so, salpi and torosidis were cutting food coupons after training, worried they might have to feed their children cat food?

I believe Chris was referring to the apathy of supporters.

so, salpi and torosidis were cutting food coupons after training, worried they might have to feed their children cat food?

No excuse the economic crisis. Poverty makes an athlete hungrier for success. Being pampered and told how good you are and selfies for facebook are what made Hellas fail in the Euro qualifiers. The little things were not being done during matches, must get them done in WCQ's.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Bad attitude and self interest over team spirit is what cost us. We didnt really lose our best players but probably our worse (apart from Karagounis).
Katsouranis nothing special , Gekas good but nothing special. some Spyropouloi Tziolides nothing special. And thats the reason that we have high chances to make a comeback. Because we didn't lose the talent. Just the morality and consistency. BVB had a similar season, noone went crying and judging "we cant beat even Hoffenheim in our current form". Chelsea had a similar season, noone went "here come the dark days like before 2005 , we gonna lose to Nottingham forrest next season just because we can". 

We didnt really need a coach just someone to unite them. Besides you can't expect to teach ball to these players. Most of them already play under some of the best coaches and train against some of the best players , their teammates. All you gotta do is find a strategy or two that will suit your

• Like it 2

I believe Samaris is a special player he passes the ball like an expert same with Tachtsidis. Karelis I'd like to see play more.

Bakasetas could be the answer in what we are looking for. Fortounis is the guy that should be starting. I don't want to see Tziolis or Lazaros in the team.

Kourbelis should be given a shot. Also Gianniotas. We should be finding replacements soon but not now for Holebas and Torosidis.

I also think Mitroglou should not start anymore and we should play either Vellios or Karelis upfront. Or play both.

Maniatis also needs to be in this team.

Iceland 2 England 1, that could of been Us winning that. WCQ around the corner. Would be nice if the Greece jersey was sold at Rebel sports. Online shits me.

Edited by ausgreek

1) there were multiple low crowds in that graph between 1991 and today..

2) The lower attendances since 2008 can be attributed to

- relegation of AEK, Aris,OFI, AEL, Iraklis.

- expansion from 16-18...including the promotion of clubs with zero support...instantly impacted on lower averages.

- higher than normal stadium bans

- PAO moving from OAKA to leoforo.

- you will notice lower crowds for 2003 when OAKA and Karaiskaki were not used

3) Anyone that knows anything about the NT will tell you there is nothing in that article to support the link between the form of NT falling between July 2014 and September 2014..

we are talking about a period of 60 days from being a kick away from a WC QF to the 0-1 loss to romania and down hill there after..

• Like it 1

Red sheriff is 100% legit. Especially Relegation of clubs with fan crowd is probably mroe than 50% responsible for the decrease in attendance.

Another thing that decreased the club support is the non-competitive league. There would be times where people would pay to see every match of their favorite big team (AEK PAO OSFP) because every match was an opportunity for them to reach the top. Now, even if they win the big contestant for the title (aka OSFP) the other teams manage to get miraculous draws with teams like Panaitolikos, Levadiakos and Platanias, getting them off the competition rather early.

And dont start telling me that every small GSL team plays in favour of Olympiakos.

If Alafouzos and Melissanidis can't make a squad that can beat teams with 1/10th of their roster value you can't blame anyone. You don't need to win them with a +4 goal difference like Olympiakos to get the three pointers. 1 goal difference in favor of your team is enough. 

AKA. If they are not interested in giving money for the team, Why would the common people give money instead ?

There is no doubt the GFC has contributed to the lower budgets of clubs..

however the NT has more players playing in better leagues than ever before...not counting the number of Greek players playing in good second tier leagues like Austria/Swiss/Belgium..players that are not on the NT radar... this can only be good for NT regardless of the strength of GSL..

Interestingly OSFP, PAOK AEK have never been stronger financially...

none of this impacts on the pathetic performance of NT between September 2014 and November 2015...

none of this explains why countries like Slovakia with a much poorer league and poorer economy can produce attacking players like Mak, Weiss, Hamsik......we have no one good enough in the attacking  third to wipe the boots of these guys..

• Like it 1

There is no doubt the GFC has contributed to the lower budgets of clubs..

however the NT has more players playing in better leagues than ever before...not counting the number of Greek players playing in good second tier leagues like Austria/Swiss/Belgium..players that are not on the NT radar... this can only be good for NT regardless of the strength of GSL..

Interestingly OSFP, PAOK AEK have never been stronger financially...

none of this impacts on the pathetic performance of NT between September 2014 and November 2015...

none of this explains why countries like Slovakia with a much poorer league and poorer economy can produce attacking players like Mak, Weiss, Hamsik......we have no one good enough in the attacking  third to wipe the boots of these guys..

Pelkas seems to play well in the other flank alongside Mak. Paok mostly uses Mak as a finishes on the flank, while every attack starts from the Right Flank. I dont rate him anything lower than Mak, talentwise. Their only difference is a name and an experienced career. However, we were saying such things 5-6 years ago for Fetfatzidis maybe, even for Kone and Stafylidis. Lets not rush it, but if Pelkas stays at Paok for a long period of time and gets used from his coaches, we can have hope. After 24-25 players have usually reached their full potential and can make a move to a bigger(not the biggest) club without ending up bench material.

Fortounis has taken his game to another level this past season. He's almost without peer amongst Greece based Greek players.

Then again Mantalos looked very good against Australia but I'd like to see him against better standard players before saying his the real deal.

Australia is a team that would make it to this summer's Euros. Nothing worse than Hungary, Finland , Estonia, Cyprus.

Bad thing is that both Mantalos and Fortounis usually play on the same side. We could however use Fortounis as a winger but i sort of think that this means we dont use his full potential.

Fortounis starter and mantalos sub or Fortounis 10 and Mantalos 8 with another 8 in the likes of Samaris or Petsos seems nice as well.

Petsos physical position is 6. But is he that good defensively to be used as a 6 or does the 8 position suit him best ? This could change pretty much everything on a 4-2-2-2

Karnezis

Toro-Manolas-Sokratis-Holebas

Petsos - Samaris

Mantalos - Fortounis (both wide but not flankers)

Mitroglou-Karelis

On paper doesnt seem so bad. I know i ve defended Petsos a lot in these forums but we should/could wait to see him at Werder before judging. Yet again, a Tachtsidis and a Maniatis dont seem anything promising either. 

Plus I am aware that  a system without wingers is not really utilizing the modern football's bonus effects, but noone likes Pelkas for a sterter yet and Fortounis seems rather slow for a winger. Karelis doesnt play winger anymore either. So who would be used in your opinion. Please, no Fetfatzidis. And why does everyone like Bakasetas and Gianniotas and Diamantakos so much as wingers. 

1) 2 of them are not even wingers in their respective clubs.

2) You dont like Pelkas because he is 22 but suddently a Diamantakos aged 23, a Gianniotas aged 22 and a Bakasetas aged 22  make a semi decent season and everyone is like wow. If its about competition time, its pretty obvious when you have a fan's favorite Athanasiadis, and a budget enogh for Mak, Berbatov, Rodriguez etc, you will have to play them instead because otherwise you ve wasted a few millions on nothing. Which team aside from Olympiakos would Pelkas not be a starter ? Plus , i know i ve said it a few times as well in this forum, but watching the play-offs he is very decent at corners. Every one of them well hit exactly where needed. The need for someone fresh to hit corners and set pieces gives him a bonus.

3) Do not think of me as a fool who is basing all his hopes on a 22 year old Paoki.He is definately not that good as I make him appear, but cut the Panionios/APOEL non-winger players on winger positions cr@p. If we re gonna get a winger it would be a good idea to use a decent one and someone NON-OLYMPIAKOS-RELATED (aka his career not destroyed). This comming from someone who supports Olympiakos , but the NT is something completely unrelated to it.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Australia is a team that would make it to this summer's Euros. Nothing worse than Hungary, Finland , Estonia, Cyprus.

Bad thing is that both Mantalos and Fortounis usually play on the same side. We could however use Fortounis as a winger but i sort of think that this means we dont use his full potential.

Fortounis starter and mantalos sub or Fortounis 10 and Mantalos 8 with another 8 in the likes of Samaris or Petsos seems nice as well.

Petsos physical position is 6. But is he that good defensively to be used as a 6 or does the 8 position suit him best ? This could change pretty much everything on a 4-2-2-2

Karnezis

Toro-Manolas-Sokratis-Holebas

Petsos - Samaris

Mantalos - Fortounis (both wide but not flankers)

Mitroglou-Karelis

On paper doesnt seem so bad. I know i ve defended Petsos a lot in these forums but we should/could wait to see him at Werder before judging. Yet again, a Tachtsidis and a Maniatis dont seem anything promising either. 

Plus I am aware that  a system without wingers is not really utilizing the modern football's bonus effects, but noone likes Pelkas for a sterter yet and Fortounis seems rather slow for a winger. Karelis doesnt play winger anymore either. So who would be used in your opinion. Please, no Fetfatzidis. And why does everyone like Bakasetas and Gianniotas and Diamantakos so much as wingers. 

1) 2 of them are not even wingers in their respective clubs.

2) You dont like Pelkas because he is 22 but suddently a Diamantakos aged 23, a Gianniotas aged 22 and a Bakasetas aged 22  make a semi decent season and everyone is like wow. If its about competition time, its pretty obvious when you have a fan's favorite Athanasiadis, and a budget enogh for Mak, Berbatov, Rodriguez etc, you will have to play them instead because otherwise you ve wasted a few millions on nothing. Which team aside from Olympiakos would Pelkas not be a starter ? Plus , i know i ve said it a few times as well in this forum, but watching the play-offs he is very decent at corners. Every one of them well hit exactly where needed. The need for someone fresh to hit corners and set pieces gives him a bonus.

3) Do not think of me as a fool who is basing all his hopes on a 22 year old Paoki.He is definately not that good as I make him appear, but cut the Panionios/APOEL non-winger players on winger positions cr@p. If we re gonna get a winger it would be a good idea to use a decent one and someone NON-OLYMPIAKOS-RELATED (aka his career not destroyed). This comming from someone who supports Olympiakos , but the NT is something completely unrelated to it.

yup I agree with that lineup pretty much. just as soon as kpaps becomes available I'd start him over petsos.

Skankarani, with your side, Skibbe can play the diamond midfield style.

Karnezis

Torosidis ©    Manolas    Sokratis       Holebas (Cholevas/Holevas whoever)

Petsos

Samaris                       Mantalos

Fortounis

Karelis  (2nd striker)

Mykono Mitro  

I think Skibbe prefers to go 4 2 3 1 generally, he would then probably back some players to play as wingmen. Could go for any of Pelkas, Bakasetas, Mantalos or say Kone.

Edited by ausgreek

We can't have Mitroglou by himself there. I think we need 2 strikers in my opinion. Unless we play a striker that likes to run (Diamantakos). A 442 is a best possible formation for us.

It's a balanced formation of attack and defence that's why it's a common formation. I also agree with having Samaris and Maniatis in the middle.

Fortounis can be the one that is alongside Mitroglou or can ghost around him feeding balls and finishing rebounds. The right wing is an issue.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic