Phantis Forums

The Leeds United Thread

Leeds' problem translates into pounds and pence: too much was spent in the O'Leary years and the team did not get the CL football they had hoped for.

After that, the debt had to be dealt with and almost the entire team left (or is leaving) at bargain prices.

Truly a pity!

We were debating in the office here if Leeds are actually a 'big club'.

Various definitions as to what makes a club stand out from the rest:

History, success, profile, fanbase, stadium, marketability, players, finance ..........

Personally, I reckon they are one of the big clubs - what do you lot think?

We definately are a big club

Lots of history (i.e Champions cup finalists - robbed of winning it)

Quite a bit of success

Extremely high profile, always in the news

Massive fan base

The ground is relatively big, could do with improving though

Marketability, players and finances used to be excellant but no so much at the moment

Leeds have joined the list of clubs not willing to take a gamble on Georgi Kinkladze after a trial period. This time it appears to be his timekeeping that was the problem.

What a waste of talent he has turned out to be.

and one of the best atmospheres too

I am sure that recent trouble is a good incentive for the fans to support the team more despite diagreements with management and possible anger for the dangers created for their beloved club.

I honestly would be sorry to see Wolves go back down (Despite supporting Stoke ;) ) after so many years of efforts to return to the Premiership, but the Team which won the crown with Cantona must have a priotity in my wishes... ;) :D

• 1 month later...

Its good to say that we are improving and beginning to play well again. Caldwell has looked very solid since arriving. Viduka has got everyone fired up, so lets we can keep this up until the end of the season

VIDUKA ISSUES RALLYING CALL

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article...1127698,00.html

Leeds star Mark Viduka has issued a rallying cry to his team-mates insisting that they are not doomed yet.

The Elland Road outfit have already been written off many times this season with the club languishing at the bottom of the table.

Last weekend's defeat at Fulham left Leeds two points adrift at the bottom of the table with just ten games left to save their Premiership status.

Viduka believes that despite the sizeable task ahead of them Leeds can upset the odds and stay up.

Posted Image

LEEDS DEAL AGREED

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article...1128110,00.html

Leeds United's immediate future has been secured after a consortium finally concluded the successful purchase of the Premiership club on Friday.

The stricken Elland Road side have been in talks with the Gerald Krasner-fronted consortium for some time and a deal has finally been concluded which will hopefully keep the West Yorkshire's side's heads above water.

Leeds, who have massive debts, have been seeking new owners for some time and had been in talks with Krasner's group since January.

In the last few days, talks have progressed rapidly which has facilitated a deal being struck on Friday.

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

Archived