Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece-Iceland(29 March 2016, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Karelis has 6 goals in 10 appearances. Current form on a 40 game season = 24 goals.

Mandatory starter for the ethniki. Him + Mitro up top + Mantalos RCAM, Fortounis LCAM. Samaris & Petsos/Tachtsidis we should be okay.

We might even be pleasantly surprised with Velios against iceland.

+ Lazaros, Kone, Pelkas are also healthy options (from the bench for now probably)

• Like it 1

I'd like to see more of Lazaros, I thought he had potential and I haven't seen him on the NT for a long time. Anyone know what happened to him and why he hasn't been given another shot since the W/C? I think he only played 1 or 2 EQ games as well.

Hasn't been playing.

Pelkas needs to play this one alongside Fortounis and/or Mantalos. Keep one DM on, two attacking midfielders, and for Christ's sake start Karelis. I'd be quite happy to see Mitroglou ride the bench for this one as well (thus freeing up that extra spot in the midfield).

All three of those attacking players, btw, are better centrally...but they're also all better as wingers than Karelis. It worked last year, after all.

Friendlies are for trying stuff out, we know what Mitroglou has to offer, might be good to test out a new face. At the same time these wins help to build morale so you still want to field a strong 11...

In the post match press conference against Montenegro he said four players which included Mitroglou & Manolas would be going back to their clubs to be rested as they have a very busy schedule coming up & four other players will step in. I would love to see Holebas playing in this system of wingback with the cover of three central defenders which suites him & Torosidis on the right best. Vellios will score two goals on his debut if he starts & has the Holebas on the left flank.

He has always scored great goals  Lets not get carried away because of one great goal against an average team in a friendly. He didn't just make his debut. He has been around for a while now and we know how good and bad he can be. I hope he can be step up this time round.

BTW he is too short to be a CF IMO and he is not the best dribbler to take on players either. Not sure where you would position him. He does have a good cross though and is more of an attacking mid I think.

I have always wanted to see a Vellios Diamandakos pairing. I may finally get my wish. There is no question that they are CFs. Diamandakos is an animal and warrior and fast. We need a player like this. Mitriglou is not a warrior lol. We need a change.

• Like it 2

He has always scored great goals  Lets not get carried away because of one great goal against an average team in a friendly. He didn't just make his debut. He has been around for a while now and we know how good and bad he can be. I hope he can be step up this time round.

BTW he is too short to be a CF IMO and he is not the best dribbler to take on players either. Not sure where you would position him. He does have a good cross though and is more of an attacking mid I think.

I have always wanted to see a Vellios Diamandakos pairing. I may finally get my wish. There is no question that they are CFs. Diamandakos is an animal and warrior and fast. We need a player like this. Mitriglou is not a warrior lol. We need a change.

I think he's good enough to be CF. It can be done at 5'9 plenty of great cf/st at that height. Nikolaidis, G Rossi, Aguero, Tevez. Griezmann

height is an overrated attribute in soccer because really the difference between 5'9 & 6'is about 10cm.

an athlete with hops can make that irrelevant

only when height is monstrous eg) Ibrahimovic at 6'5 is a real game changer or super small like Fetfa at 5'5 (who's gotta play on the wings)

• Like it 1

Mitroglou, Samaris, Soc and Manolas gone back to their clubs.

Probable starting line-up,

.....................................Kapino....................................

...................Oikonomou, Moras, Tzavellas..................

..Torosides, Fortounis, Tachtsides, Petsos, Holebas..

...............................Karelis, Velios...............................

Pelkas and Diamantakos probably get chance off the bench. 

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

I agree that we've seen so much of Mitro and we know what he is capable of, but to be honest he has been a big disappointment for us since the Romania series that got us to the World Cup. He is very slow and he literally needs to be given the ball in an ideal situation where he has some time and space to be productive because I don't think he will create anything himself. In Saying that we know he's a big part of this team going forward just do to our lack of depth. We need to see what other guys are capable of doing and I would like to see velios get a full game. I mentioned before is Karnezis really our best option in net? And does Ninis or Fetfa have any palace on this team or have they lost there opportunity? Also I still believe in Kone and I'd like to see a little bit of Lazaros.

I still think Mitroglou should start. We should play with 2.5 strikers ideally Karelis, Mitroglou, Velios.

Mitroglou gets nullified because every team knows he's our main scoring threat, so they just double-triple team him.

His presence on the field opens up space on the field because of his threat but he's not enough to be a lone striker like a Benzema.

Karelis & Velios + two good attacking mids like Fortounis + Mantalos and I think our attack will be nice

Mitroglou Velios

Karelis

Fortounis Mantalos

Samaris

This might be a good idea when we need to get a goal^ then the usual back 5.

After a goal, we can probably shut down 80% of games with a Kpap sub.

Edited by georgelaz

His height is fine. I'd say that his not being a crazy-good dribbler is all the more reason to put him as CF over winger. He just doesn't look good out on the wings. If he can't compete for headers (I don't watch him enough to know just how much of an aerial threat he is), then he can still use speed/positioning/muscle to get the job done. There's more than one way to skin a cat, after all.

I'm in no hurry to see Diamantakos out there, our problems lie much deeper than at CF. Even though Mitroglou is allergic to goals.

I agree that Karelis is short. Not that short but. He is strong and fast enough with the ball at his feet and looks the most hungriest player in attack.

Him being on the wing I think would make him isolated and not get the ball as much. Him being striker is a better idea, but then again is he good enough in the air to score goals.

It's also a good idea to try him CAM.

Diamantakos I am a fan of, he plays with passion. Vellios has been a gun lately. I also wouldn't mind seeing both playing up top.

In this match id like to see Fortounis, Petsos and Tachtsidis midfield. Especially Fortounis playing deeper which he can run through the middle because of his dynamic dribbling and create a possible goal scoring chance.

Also this will be a better test and with 4 key players missing we should see...

Edited by Dean97

will be a test without our 5 best credentialed footballers....

however enough depth to cover....I'd prefer Siovas to Moras only due to age....

Kapino has not done much to warrant a call up today....but he is the best option moving forward..

essentially it comes down to him or Vellidis....there is no fourth option..

Dioudis is def an option and both he & Vellidis have done more in the last 12 months than Kapino, just cause the latter is at OSFP shouldn't be reason to call him up and personally I don't think he is that good, just happens to have played got PAO and OSFP in Greece, couldn't crack it overseas and on the bench at Pireaus. Hardly anything impressive

Dioudi I have not watched, but from reading a few posts in the Paok section Vellidi has been underwhelming it seems.

Dioudi I have not watched, but from reading a few posts in the Paok section Vellidi has been underwhelming it seems.

Eh. Just doesn't seem much better than Glykos. Leagues ahead of Olsen.

I thought Kapino was retired?!

Just wanted to point out that for our current form Montenegro cant be considered a bad team. before the WC Draw we were pot 3 and they were pot 4, now I believe we are still pot 3) and they must be pot 3 as well. Also , I doubt that their defence is any worse than the Bosnian one. If we play in similar level at the qalifiers , I believe 2nd spot is there for us to grab. Besides , Bosnia didnt qualify for the Euro either , and I believe they were,same as us, pot 1 team before the draw.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank