Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - Summer 2016

Dutch Eagle

All depends on what Vasquez is on right now and his ability.  If the management is confident he is a considerable upgrade over Klaus and will be a striker who can score lots of goals, he's worth the 900K.  If they're unsure, then it just sounds like a panic buy.

Edited by Bananas

19 minutes ago, Bananas said:

All depends on what Vasquez is on right now and his ability.  If the management is confident he is a considerable upgrade over Klaus and will be a striker who can score lots of goals, he's worth the 900K.  If they're unsure, then it just sounds like a panic buy.

Its clear that they want him and rate him to pay €3M transfer... meet him halfway and add 50... 800k and we're done. 

This discussion about the Greek SL's place among European leagues is pointless.

Consider this2014 Average Wages by League

Greece ranked 21st with an average player wage of 145,000 Pounds Sterling. That;s almost equal to THE MLS. Let that sink in for a moment. Hold it... hold it... Also, Exhibits "A"-"D"

A-The 12 "smaller" clubs in our league have no money to develop, or pay for talent. 

B-TV revenue for the clubs has gotten worse not better.

C-at least half of the stadiums are ancient, have low capacity, and terrible attendance. 

D-The league DID NOT HAVE A CORPORATE SPONSOR IN 2015/16. Think about that. No one wanted to assocaite themselves with the SL. That's about 1 mil euros per club in lost sponsorship revenue. 

It's all about money. So long as we are in a recession, our league (from top to bottom) is a shell of its former self from 2000-2008. Accept the realities, hope for a better tomorrow with meaningful changes in the EPO, SL, KED. Then we can become competitive top to bottom and send teams to Europe to rattle the big boy's cages.  

<mic drop>

p.s. 

Can anyone name a bigger clown at the helm of a major football club than Gigi Becali? I mean, Steaua is a former European champion! I feel bad that Hatzi has to deal with this crap because he is a solid player than can become pretty good with playing time and good coaching. I hope the transfer happens and he gets 20-30 games under his belt. 

Looks like Alvaro basically said no f-ing way he's going to Greece. Frankly, I don't think we need 4 strikers. Klaus-Facundo-Koulouris rotation is fine by me - remember, our biggest problem the last two years has not been finishing, it's been getting that through ball in the final third of the pitch to even get in a  scoring position! I think the new additions make our offensive output better just by being able to get the ball in the 18-yd box. 

Edited by teke817
  • Like it 2

The transfer period is officially over in Greece. There is a window for free players until September10.

- We signed Thiam on loan basis from Juventus with buyout option. He's an attacking winger.

- As a result, Jairo is being loaned to PAS Giannina

- Antonis is loaned to Veroia

- Skondras refused do go to Platanias, and still remains on PAOK's payroll, but will not see any playing action.

- Chatziisaias was close to go on loan to Steaua along a 1 mil buyout option, but at the last minute Becali said he does not want the player. I have a feeling it a way for him getting back at PAOK for the Varela deal.

-Tziolis turned down all the offers he had and informed PAOK that he is staying on the team. remains to be seen if he gets any playing time.

So, in the end we did not get a center forward as rumored. That's too bad. There is no incentive for Klaus to try harder to improve. Also there will be a lot of PAOK fans disappointed. Let the whining begin. 

Transfermarkt lists Thiam as also playing as CF, so it's possible he''ll find some Mak-style playing time out front. This is unlikely, but just throwing it out there. Unless this kid is AMAZING, I feel we're already beating a dead horse when it comes to wingers.

Too bad about Chatziisaias, Skondras, and Tziolis. Chatziisaias still trains with the team, right? Perhaps he'll pull a Golasa and sneak his way in to a few games.

4 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

So, in the end we did not get a center forward as rumored. That's too bad. There is no incentive for Klaus to try harder to improve. Also there will be a lot of PAOK fans disappointed. Let the whining begin. 

Very disappointing we couldn't land a genuine striker.  Combination of reasons. 

1. Genuine top players ain't coming to the GSL (tier 3 league argument) 

2. Paok only willing to pay a certain amount based on their valuation of the player. 

3. Because of 1&2, players are holding out for offers from teams in higher ranked leagues. 

4. Paok waited too long to land a striker. Unlike other positions which we stitched up relatively early. This in my book is gross negligence by the club. Their wait and see approach has backfired on many occasions over the years.

5. Unlike what the press reports would have us believe, Saviddi is not a big spender on the team. He will not pay the extra required to land genuine quality. He puts in an amount each year and sees where it takes us and then some more during the winter break when panic sets in. 

6. We are Paok. We are not Oly or PAO. Rightly or wrongly we are not seen as a big club by outsiders. Therefore takes a lot more convincing to get players in. Only way to do that is to start becoming successful (ie. winning league,  going deeper into Europe).  See point 5.

Edited by kozi

• 1 month later...

The funny thing is that our biggest problem in the last couple of seasons was conceding goals.  Our offense was pretty good but we had one of the worst defenses in the league.  Now, we have what appears to be a very solid defense, but we can't score.

Perhaps if Campos gets over his psychological issues, or is replaced, this will improve. Maybe starting him in cup games will give him that confidence. Biseswar - who seems to have been a good transfer - can only help in this regard.

I really think it's time for PAOK to spend up on a good striker.  Easier said than done of course.  But it's painfully obvious that for once (and this is good!) we have a pretty solid team overall but don't have that striker up front to lead the team.  Klaus isn't exactly fear inspiring.

• Like it 1

18 hours ago, Bananas said:

I really think it's time for PAOK to spend up on a good striker.  Easier said than done of course.  But it's painfully obvious that for once (and this is good!) we have a pretty solid team overall but don't have that striker up front to lead the team.  Klaus isn't exactly fear inspiring.

Agreed....really should have been stitched up in the pre-season. Already cost us the Ajax game and min 5 points in the league.