Phantis Forums

PAOK's 2015-2016 Playoff race

Blackhawk

With four rounds of regular season Superleague games left, PAOk has not secured a spot in the playoffs. Complicating things are the points deduction as a result of the abandoned Greek Cup match against Olympiakos. With that in mind let's see the remaining schedule among the teams that are in the running for a playoff spot:

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 26

2. AEK   53
3. PAO  45
4. PAOK - 41
5. Panionios - 40
-----------------------
6. Tripoli - 34
7. PAS Giannina   34
8. Levadeiakos  32
9. Platanias  32

ROUND 27

Xanthi - Levadeiakos
Veroa - Platanias
PAO - Iraklis
Panaitolikos - AEK
PAOK - Kalloni
Tripoli - Olympiakos
PAS Giannina - Panionios

ROUND 28

Iraklis - Tripoli
Kalloni - AEK
Levadeiakos - PAS Giannina
PAO - Veroia
Panionios - PAOK
Platanias - Xanthi

ROUND 29

Tripoli - PAO
PAOK - Levadeiakos 
AEK - Panionios
PAS Giannina - Platanias

ROUND 30

Xanthi - PAS Giannina
Tripoli - Veroia
Levadeiakos - AEK
PAO - Panthrakikos
Platanias - PAOK
Panionios - Atromitos

If the playoffs tarted today, the initial standings would be:

1. AEK  3
2. PAO  1
3. PAOK  0
4. Panionios 0

I like our chances for making the playoffs. The games we have left are against teams that we can beat, as long as we play like we did against Panaitolikos. Even if we get 6 points deducted, I think we are in.

We should easily win our two home games, and then we have an away game against Panionios, which we should try not to lose. Our last game is against Platanias, and they will most likely be out any chances for the playoffs, so it might be a meaningless game for them.

If it wasn't for the apparent points deductions, we would most likely increase our distance from the 5th place and actually gained a point for the playoff standings. That might still happen if Panionios does not get a license to play in the playoffs and we have at least a 3 point difference from the 6th placed team.

Have they said when a decision will be made in regards to what happened at the kypello? Seems like they are dragging it on so they can deduct points so PAOK can miss the playoffs.....

The hearing is supposed to be this Thursday. That is if the lawyers decide to end their strike. If not it is anybody's guess when that will happen. Let's not also forget that there is a decision that has to be made about AEK and the events in the Atromitos game, and that game was played before the PAOK-Olympiakos game.

Amateur stuff - again, in a normal federation this would have been pulled up and people put on notice to get their acts together but in Greece its same old.

This is why when I think the FFA and A-League administration are crap and need to be replaced I bite my tongue and thank my stars I don't follow two leagues with Greece's problems.

Logically (but we are talking about Greece) EPO will not see our spot wasted, therefor:
#2 Q3 CL
#3 instead of cupwinner: Q3 EL (or GS EL if EL is won by a club that has not qualified for CL via its league
#4 and #5 stays the same.

Edited by Dutch Eagle

Assuming #3 takes the allocation from the cup, doesn't the above still miss the extra spot? We would still get two slots in the Q3 EL; it would just give both #3 and #4 that slot (and #5 getting Q2). Wouldn't that also mean we have one more team that's not in the playoffs getting a slot as well?

You are right, Pash! So early in the Hub and you are already that bright. Bravo! 

I wrote something else than I was thinking. or better: I was already presuming that one of the Play-off candidates would win the cup or the Gavs would win it so that al participants are sure of European action next year. In that case #5 gets Q2 instead of nothing.  :1eye:

Edited by Dutch Eagle
  • Like it 1

Yes.

It still bothers me though that we (might) get a deduction of points in the league for riots in the cup.

I could live with an expulsion from the cup but not a deduction of points in the SL like last year as they are two very different things.

• Like it 1

Wasn't our deduction of points in the playoffs from two years ago from the exact same thing? Cup crowd troubles?

Yeah, the EPO didn't like our little fish joke on the bench. So they took us 3 points in the playoffs which would be 15 points in the regular season.

Ridiculous move, but chances are that they delay the judgement to do the same again.

However, I'm sure we make it to the playoffs and secure the second spot, if not even the first place. We proofed that we can beat PAO and AEK seems to be out of it's luck finally.