Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece-Montenegro(24 March 2016, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus

Omonoia9

I only saw the highlights. That goal we conceded was poor. Manolas acting like a step ladder for his opponent. Karnezis equally liable. Defending needs to improve overall but specifically on set pieces. We've conceded too many over the last year.

We were once the best performed team in friendlies. Given where we have come from results wise it was good to get a win. Crnagora or "Serbia-Lite" is a decent pot 3 team and we should always be expected to beat them.

Shirts looked OK as well.

Guys didn't watch the game but Mitro looked quite lively in the highlights.

That's about the only place he looked lively. Like Manolas, he's secured a move where he wants to be, so now it's time to ride out his time with the NT.

tzavellas scored and offered more with ball at feet than any other CB, but greece going forward...not sure what and where tzavellas' role will be. not starting material for me.

Not starting material, but you thought he was the best CB?

I think it should be known that we don't have too much depth at the CB position. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's true. Sokratis, manolas, and k paps are clearly the top 3

But kpaps is error and injury prone. And he'll probably be injury prone for his entire career.

4th best is probably economou..he plays for bologna and he has been rotting the bench the last couple months. I watch a lot of serie A highlights, and he is partially or fully at fault for many of the goals they have conceded. He's young and pretty good, but let's not overhype the kid.

After that? Maybe Tzavellas? Siovas? Chatziisaias (on paok)?

Definitely not moras, he's terrible.

It's nice we finally got a win and scored 2 goals. My main concern is still our defense, we keep talking about having world class defenders and I do agree we have some very talented defenders but we keep letting very weak teams score on us and this is very concerning. Can you imagine what good teams will do against us? Since we all know we have a major problem scoring goals we need to focus on building a solid defensive system and if we do that the chances offensively will come. On another note is Karnezis our best option in goal? I've never had confidence in him. Is there not anyone else available that looks good? Samaris to me looked like he struggled and some horrible giveaways. I'd like to see Kone back and I'd like to give Lazaros a look as well. Bottom line great to get the win under Skibbe but Defense is still very concerning to me.

As professional athletes that's absolutely bullshit, these guys don't obviously take there training and careers or at the very least the national team seriously. They have another game in a few days. They have every right to enjoy there life in the off season but as a professional athlete they're required to eat sleep and train and be on a comited program and schedule. These F***ERS will never get it.

It's nice we finally got a win and scored 2 goals. My main concern is still our defense, we keep talking about having world class defenders and I do agree we have some very talented defenders but we keep letting very weak teams score on us and this is very concerning. Can you imagine what good teams will do against us? Since we all know we have a major problem scoring goals we need to focus on building a solid defensive system and if we do that the chances offensively will come. On another note is Karnezis our best option in goal? I've never had confidence in him. Is there not anyone else available that looks good? Samaris to me looked like he struggled and some horrible giveaways. I'd like to see Kone back and I'd like to give Lazaros a look as well. Bottom line great to get the win under Skibbe but Defense is still very concerning to me.

The thing about having world class defenders, is that they will only be world class if they have an effective cast supporting them. Any defensive line will eventually collapse with constant pressure, if the midfield leaves them out to dry or are incapable of carrying play forward - the same way a world class striker would be ineffective without adequate service. 

Edited by Argy

All the more reason not to play those four. Manolas can give two shits about the ethniki, Torosidis and Maniatis lack the pace and talent, and Tachtsidis isn't even an active player anymore. GIVE THEM THE BOOOOOOOOT

• Like it 1

I think this coach is going in the right direction with 3-5-2 as it suits the current best Greek national team players.

Our right & left backs are more like wing-backs than traditional right & left backs. We have three very good world class central defenders whom when fit & healthy can play in any league so why leave one out. Our strikers are more effective when our wide players are giving them good service with crosses in the right areas.

The national teams end of season tour of Australia will be very important as the coach will have a lot more time to work & get the team understand his system without club commitments etc.

Torosidis still has the magic IMO. He was insanely good 25-27 because he had monster pace. But he still can whip a nice low cross that Mitroglou fanned.

Edited by georgelaz

I think it should be known that we don't have too much depth at the CB position. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's true. Sokratis, manolas, and k paps are clearly the top 3

But kpaps is error and injury prone. And he'll probably be injury prone for his entire career.

4th best is probably economou..he plays for bologna and he has been rotting the bench the last couple months. I watch a lot of serie A highlights, and he is partially or fully at fault for many of the goals they have conceded. He's young and pretty good, but let's not overhype the kid.

After that? Maybe Tzavellas? Siovas? Chatziisaias (on paok)?

Definitely not moras, he's terrible.

I hate to say I told you so, but...

Edited by maggica
  • Like it 1