Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece-Montenegro(24 March 2016, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus

Omonoia9

the probable line up according to gazetta. manolas is back fit.

-------------------------------karnezis-------------------------------

----------------manolas------sokratis--------siovas--------------

torosidis-------mantalos-----samaris-----petsos-----tzavellas

-------------------------------fortounis-------------------------------

-------------------------------mitroglou------------------------------

something like this with mantalos and petsos probably a little bit more up. article says 3-5-2 but you could also say 3-5-1-1. im not a fan of siovas but lets see. and least no tziolis in that line up. i like this line up but lets hope when we attack mitro won be on an island the whole game. sometimes we need more then one body in the box if we want to score.

http://www.gazzetta.gr/football/article/896818/ethniki-elladas-etoimi-na-gyrisei-selida

Whats so great about this line up? Where are the wingers??

Too defensive IMO and too many players that play central. Its not balanced.

Is Siovas and Mantalos world cup material?

Sokratis would make an awesome def mid.

I will be curious to see Mitros work rate for Ethniki.

There are no Greek wingers anyways so why play with them... This is close to best lineup we have, we play to our strengths at Centerback allowing Torosidis and Tzavellas to push farther up the field and act as wingers. The only issue I have is Siovas instead of Oikonomou. I guess Stafylidis could have been in over Tzavellas too.

If we start the midfield he posted with Fortounis Mantalos Samaris and Petsos it would be the first time in a very long time we'd have so many technically gifted players start at the same time. Mitroglou should have a lot of service for this game with that lineup if he tries.

• Like it 1

@Chriskiato , i never said that its great plus why would it be great anyway since its just a friendly. dont you remember our ec qualifiers? do we really have wingers or in form wingers suitable for the ethniki and our upcoming wc qualifiers? and how many times did we played with wingers played out of position and failed miserably. like original21 said , lets play to our strengths and thats defensively at the moment if we like it or not. and offcourse this is not our best line up.

i should have said i like this formation. i said that im not a fan of siovas , i dont really rate the guy and i also rather saw oikonomou started ahead of him or at least called up a youngster instead of him. tzavellas is only there because holebas isnt fit. petsos is probably starting since he always plays for rapid and tachtsidis is sometimes used as a sub for genoa.

streams for the game probably can be found here.

http://livetv.sx/en/ and http://firstrowne.eu/

• Like it 1

Thanks @Nikitas for the links....

Tzavellas is there because he's been very good at CB all season. Frankly, it's deserved.

Stafylidis is probably going to get a long look at LB (or at least I hope) ... Tzavellas as a wingback cannot be expected to cover an entire flank. 

100% agree, its time for guys like Oikonomou to get a look. At this point he may be the 4th CB in our rotation. 

It'll be fine. We should be able to beat Montenegro, and we have enough players getting into form that we should finally start seeing some success. It's worrying that so few wingers are there.

Tzavellas is there because he provides depth at LB and, as teke said, he's having a good season. If we play four at the back, Stafylidis will almost certainly start over him (as he should). I'd be more worried about our still-unsettled midfield.

• Like it 1

we have great potential wingers in Kaltsas, Gianniotas, Klonaridis, Mavrias. That's 2 LW's & 2 RW's.

The problem is they aren't as proven as the rest of our starters for other positions eg) CDM, CB, ST

@georgelaz - Mavrias career has stalled mightily, unless he gets regular playing time somewhere the NT will be a distant memory. Agree that there is promise in the youth ranks that hopefully will develop and not turn into another Mavrias-Fetfatzidis disappointments. 

The Greece of two years ago would beat Montenegro, especially if Jovetic and Savic don't play because of injury. But I don't think you can take anything for granted. It's a new coach, a new system, new formation, and very little practice time. 

The Greece team of two years ago would barely beat Montenegro 1-0, but we wouldn't lose or concede a goal. I want to play Montenegros best line up and don't want to play an injured opponent. Now that the horrific EQ is done and behind us we will now see if that was just one of those things that we couldn't explain but if we still play garbage football and don't beat these teams and dominate the play against teams like Montenegro then it clearly shows our problems are not behind us. Iceland should be a good test. There is no excuse not to win this game with what ever line up we start.

GREECE

1 Karnezis(GK)

15 Torosidis(Captain)

19 Papastathopoulos

4 Manolas

21 Stafylidis

3 Tzavellas

18 Mantalos

22 Samaris

11 Mitroglou

10 Fortounis

8 Petsos