Phantis Forums

Friendly: Turkey-greece (17 Nov 2015, Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium)

Greekaroos

Good on Giannou im happy for him and hope he does well for the NT, many didn't know Samaras was also eligible for Australia either only recently it was brought up in the Aussie media. I am actually surprised Ange didn't chase him more since he has given many no name Aussies a go in our NT and they have done well when called upon.

As for the game today very defensive at times I saw 11 players in our 3rd when Turkey was attacking, I don't know how the coach will change this and get us going forward and attacking more. Atleast we kept a clean sheet but the way we are going getting to Russia in 2018 is going to be very difficult.

• Like it 2

Match report stated we played 4 4 2 formation as did they. Is it a fact that Toro played as CB and Manolas on the wing? At the front it was Mitro with Samaris.  That was totally unexpected if it happened..  

Edited by ausgreek

Schibbe himself stated it was a 3 - 5 - 2 in press conference

the reports are dicey. like for the luxenbourg game Katsouranis was in the expected lineup LOL (apparently they didn't get the memo he retired)

anyone have a full video of the game? would love to watch it before bed

I only saw 5 different highlight reals. the turkish commentators were going nuts. glad to see that a population 8x smaller then them can get them aroused so easily ;) 

• Like it 1

Reality is that both of our past coaches Santos and rehagel

would have both played for the draw in Turkey.

Greek soccer is all about clean sheets and winning 1-0.

Nothing wrong with todays result , but changes still have to be made so

we can score.

Reality is that both of our past coaches Santos and rehagel

would have both played for the draw in Turkey.

Greek soccer is all about clean sheets and winning 1-0.

Nothing wrong with todays result , but changes still have to be made so

we can score.

Exactly. The deviation from that style with Ranieri/Markarian/Tsanas experiments cost us EURO 2016 qualification. The sooner we get back to that style, that's when we see some winning ways. It's obvious that we just don't have the players to play wide attacking style. Biggest mistake by EPO (Sarris) was treating Santos like dirt during and after the WC and not trying to extend his contract.

• Like it 2

^Blackhawk you are absolutely right. I've had said this from day one. I don't care how boring our soccer looks what I care about is results, we need to go back to our boring defensive minded style of play and find out ways to sneak a 1-0 wins. I understand we will tie a lot of games but that's okay and least we will not be losing to teams like Lux and FI. For some reason it went to a lot of people's head that we need to get away from what was successful and very boring looking to all of sudden becoming this attacking force. We suck when we do that and are very easy to score against when we play that way. The game against Turkey which I wasn't happy with only because all this s%$#! has happened before, but realistically we went in to Turkey we gave up more chances but our Defence held its own and we created a few counter attacks and possibly could come out with a 1-0 victory. That's how the Greek team needs to play against every opponent. I also hear a lot of guys saying we should play Defence against the better teams and open it up against the weaker teams in the World Cup campaign. If we do that we will lose to cypress and possibly Estonia just like we did with Lux and FI. I guarantee if we played boring defensive soccer we would be in the euros right now. STOP trying to change our style it doesn't work for us. Everyone is scratching there heads to what in the world possibly went wrong with this team and the answer is simple, play to our strengths and forget trying to make us an attacking team at the expense of our defense.

• Like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

This whole fuss about Tziolis gets me laughing. Ok we get it, he is slow , 2 years ago u were the same guy whining about Katsouranis. Still , Tziolis didn't play half the qualifying games, im not sure but maybe he played less than half of them. And what did we get ? a fcking kick from the Euros before half the matches had been played. 

Football is a match 11 vs 11, excluding the Goalkeepers gets us 10 vs 10 , if u think 1 man can make so much of a difference , especially in a defensive slow paced team like the Greek NT you are probably unable to understand. Most of you say its the Offence's fault , being unable to score , others say the defence , seeing the forwards' lack of form , expanded themselves up front and thus making us lose many games (which actually happened) so its the defenders' fault. But whenever we have to hear names, who to blame it's just Ranieri (EPL leader right now) and Tziolis.

I  don't give a f*ck about the player , i don't worship him or anything as many could assume from this post.

But seriously , someone mentioned him as the Katsouranis successor and I would like to point that. We went to the Euro 2012 with both Katsouranis and Tziolis , we qualified for the World cup 14 with both Katsouranis and Tziolis, we crushed Romania 3-1 with Tziolis and Katsouranis on the line up.
We drew with Romania away with Tziolis on the line up.

My point is , Greece has always been a slow paced team , Our kinda fast 10ths in the likes of Pelkas and Mantalos , along with the smart brain and fast reactions of Fortounis could be a change , but it could need some time , some time we don't have coz if we fail to qualify for hte next WC (something that probably will happen) we ll fall deeper to the rankings.

So my point is , how exactly is Tziolis' fault that we are undergoing a change of an era ? How is it a single player's fault.

Some extra info i found : Tziolis didn't start nor did he play vs Faroe Islands on both legs, and we still lost.

Lastly , YES I am Greek , my good for nothing school books have taught me wrongly that Turks are there for me to hate,  so when my team finishes Last in a EURO Qual. Campaign , while theirs finishes as best 3rd (by beating Netherlands, Icelands and Czech Republics) I will enjoy a DRAW against them especially when my team is running their worst period since like 2002. Even if we didn't qualify for WC 2006 , we didn't end up so miserably.

• Like it 2

Our defence is good to play a more attack minded style only for the inclusion of Pelkas and Mantalos. Fetfatzidis and Ninis are good enough to replace. Kone should be playing centrally all the time. He is more effective there. Fortounis must play also. Tsilianidis is an up and coming winger we could use just got work on s few things. Pelkas should be our winger and Holebas. Mitroglou should start, Vellios should be the back up. This is how our attack should be.

^ exactly. 

i think schibbe will find the best formula for greece, and once he does we will be a great force.

his reading of what's effective seems decent from his improvements he made from Luxembourg to Turkey.

I think he's getting close to perfecting our defense. Now he needs to find the perfect formula for our attack, which is obviously something close to our 4 goal hungary game

I agree with what most of you are saying about the players we need to put in but I'm just as concerned about our defense just as much as our offense. We have conceded in almost every qualifier to sub par teams to say the least this concerns me a lot. It's time for change I agree we need to bring up guys that are young full of energy and who poses some potential flair offensively, but we have all said this a million times our defense and our Greek wall we would build on defense that would intimidate and frustrate the s%$#! out of teams is gone and we need to find that back first before we can move on to our offense. Let's think about it logically we can't score we all know that and a few young guys may help like Pelkas, Fortounis and so on but they won't be able to score at will so if our defense is week and allows one to two goals a game that will most likely result in a loss for us so we need to think defense first. even in the Hungary game yes we were scoring at will but it took 4 goals to barely beat Hungary who scored 3. Bottom line defense is the most important and then let's work on our offense.

lol I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure if Kaltsas, Velios, Giannou started and played a full 3 games they would all flop.

they are playing exceptional for Veria, Iralkis, Asteras but if they played for the bigger teams, I don't think their talent would shine as bright. 

don't get me wrong, would LOVE to be proven wrong. would be nice to know that the other teams talent is real and not just because they're surrounded by mediocrity. 

Edited by georgelaz

We have had experienced players that are seasoned at some draws and many losses. Need to keep investing in players that are peaking, with a good blend of youth and experience. That means currently no-one over thirty except Oresti.