Phantis Forums

Gustavo Poyet

Original 21

I am not defending anyone I am talking team performance considering the little amount spent and what we have achieved so far.

Yes he hasn't invested jvc we all know that BUT even without investing big time we have made Europe and the kypello final, is that a bad thing is it?

Again, AEK had a good year, but your burying your head in the sand here. Discuss objectively once in a while, it won't kill you, and you may enjoy it. Meli is acting like a cheap landlord, if he does it again next season, the fans will turn on him.

They sure will and so they should, you cant have a slogan "erxomaste" and not spend, but its season 1 back and maybe he didn't wana go crazy and spend this season as he doesn't want to repeat the old mistakes of AEK, but being in Europe next season and hoping we can mount a title charge he will need to spend. I don't think there is any AEK fan happy with what we spent this season, but fact is team achievements wise with the $160k only spent we did well to make Europe and kypello final, that's my point.

Leadership as in everyone as a whole or Meli? If you mean everyone I don't agree as I think they have all done a great job this season given the resources they have been given to do their job, as for Meli if that is for him then yes 100% we all know this and don't deny it one bit.

Didn't see him say he will spend money and please don't post me media articles post me something from his mouth saying he will spend, which you most likely wont hear.

As for Poyet when a coach comes out and says that a day before your biggest game and the clubs told you "we will respond to you" F*** him he deserves to be sacked, no one is bigger than AEK in the end.

Not one club in the world would be happy with a coach saying that while negotiations are still going on and you are a day before a cup semi....

We have said it many times about the slogan "erxomaste" but one thing he never said was that he was going to spend, we as fans assumed it by the slogan and the fact he took over and his wealth thought more would've been spent. AEK cant take over in one season that's what people need to understand and get through their heads....

As for Poyet it's his word against Meli's so who lying and who's not is one issue, but as I said before he asked for a bigger budget, ok no problem every coach has their right to ask for this, but don't go out and say you aren't going to be here next season when you are in the middle of negotiations, that's biting the hand that feeds you and basically spitting on the players who have believed in you since you came and took over.

Amo one of our boys who I am sure you know went to his offices to speak with him and you know what his exact words were? "prota I thoulai meta I aek" and our mate came back and said it himself don't expect him to spend big and he was right.

What Meli tells fans is things they wana hear, he's not going to come out and say "oxi then pernoume paixtes" that will turn people off big time and then they'd think wtf did you get into football for if you aren't going to spend....

Pana when Meli goes to visit these AEK Clubs do you think he is going to tell them no we aren't getting players? Of course he is going to say we are, otherwise people will be turned off by him.

As I said my mate went to his offices in Pireaus for personal reasons and he told him what I said above.

I don't think its his ego he wants boosted within AEK, the fans will love him regardless, he wants to oust Marinakis, its become a power trip between these 2 and the ones suffering are the fans.

On Poye - I think Meli was right in getting rid of him, to come out and state you wont be here next year without advising the management first is a big slap in the face, I feel Poyet is using the budget as an excuse/reason.

On Meli - I think its safe to say he has done a remarkable job since taking over, from being able to assemble players for next to nothing to jump up 2 divisions in quick succession and get us nack to the SL is amazing, he has built new offices, has helped in getting media attention on Marinakis' antics and also made a firm attempt to get a stadium and Nia Filadelfia. Spent small but got us to a cup final and a 2nd position finish on a regular season on our first season back at the top.

Couldnt have asked for more...

All that aside we are now back in Europe, are firnly established back in the SL, have definitely made profits and have balanced the books, come the transfer window money needs to be spent, if Meli is serious about building a team that can challenege in Europe and for the title in Greece he will have to spend a few mil, we have come as far as possible on free transfers, its now time to get serious. I believe he will do so. Time will tell however.

• Like it 1

Pana when Meli goes to visit these AEK Clubs do you think he is going to tell them no we aren't getting players? Of course he is going to say we are, otherwise people will be turned off by him.

:huh:  So the fact that he is bullshiting AEK fans is ok in your opinion? Eleos, you would defend him no matter what, this is clear, Original Sydney you are a true Tigri fanboy.

I think the owners of the big four overall are negative for Greece and the SuperLeague. All they care about is themselves. In saying that I'm glad Meli took over and am aware we could still be in B Ethniki.... He must spend some money now we are going to Europe, not heaps, but some. Also, he has to pull some strings and make the stadium happen....

Just for the record, AEK finished 3rd

Tzatziki who's defending him re? Reality is any owner who goes to visit a club will say what the fans want to hear, do you think they are going to go to a club and tell them the opposite to what they want to hear? Ela re thought you had more sense than that.

What Dikefale wrote is spot on and very well said, everyone is looking at the money he has spent of transfers but over looked everything else he has done for AEK since taking over, no one denied he needs to spend money we all know this, but don't overlook everything else he has done along the way.

Amo iv said it for a while its a power trip between these 2 and the ones suffering are the fans. Does anyone even feel like we are playing the final in the kypello vs Oly? That's how bad it has become.

As for what he tells fans, I don't agree with it either, be upfront with them tell them the truth or don't say nothing. Seems he tells people one thing the  others another, since he has said things to the NY club and then other things to one of our guys....

If Vaggela spent 100k on transfers would crucify him. Our fans were ungrateful enough to boo Socrati even... and the man brought us out of the petrina xronia.

Maybe he did with us who knows but its not half obvious what he was trying to do, seems he never wanted to stay and why would he in this s%$#! League where cancelled games can happen 24 hours before a kickoff and if he did want to stay it would've been for the money only ($2.5mill) which is what he is said to be getting as Betis.

What does he plan to prove in La Liga with Betis? Get within 35 points Barca instead of 40? Europe which he has no chance of if you ask me but goodluck to him wish him all the best

Well there was also an offer from Nottingham Forest even though they are in the Championship. Look maybe he sees it as "if I do well with Betis I can get a better gig in Spain" who knows but from what everyone has been saying and bagging AEK and Meli people need to realise he was never going to stay and if he did it explains why he asked for that amount of money....

• 5 months later...