Phantis Forums

Gustavo Poyet

Original 21

I think both sides are at fault here now that things are more clearer.

Poyet dug his grave by announcing he was leaving before he had an answer from AEK, seems he had another offer on the table and pushed AEK to give him an answer. Aint the 1st time Poyet has done this. He also did ask for a lot of money to stay on, still no excuses both sides could've handled this more professionally.....

Amo AEK told him they would let him know by end of season, they pushed for an answer this week. How can AEK give him an answer right now when the semis and playoffs are on? Surely his focus would be on that more than anything.

Poyet F***ed up by going to the media and saying he wont be there next season, that for me was the biggest m*****a he could have done.....

As for what he asked there have been a few figures thrown around, yesterday I heard $2.1 for him then $1.6 for him then its $1.2. I do agree we have made money from sponsors to have this money available and if Meli is serious he would give it, but again we don't know what goes on behind closed doors.....

100% I agree Amo but AEK did say they would give him an answer toward end of season, not that it makes it better but he new this.

With the media how he went and said he wont be at AEK next season, that is where he F***ed up and its not the 1st time he has done that. If AEK had said a straight no to him then I wouldn't have an issue with it but he went and said it knowing he was still waiting for an answer, maybe he did it to push management, maybe he did it cause he's arrogant, who knows...

Anyway he is gone and we need to move on and hope we get someone of his calibre again

He is not legally allowed to spend money at Aek. And if he can easily finish ahead of PAO and PAOK spending bread crumbs.. There is not much incentive.

So basically Meli is a billionaire but has the spending power of this guy.

mayor20n-6-web.jpg

• Like it 2

In my opinion he was in breach of his contract the moment he mentioned that he would leave if an English offer came his way. He basically lost all credibility for me that day, and his case today would have stood if not for those comments. However, since he did make those comments, I now think he is unprofessional enough (off the pitch) to announce his departure from the team RIGHT before one of the most crucial matches of the year. Whether the president wants to make signings happen or not, you keep these types of comments behind closed doors. 

I guess well have to wait til the summer time to see if Poyet is right or just trying to cover his tracks. 

Poyet dug his grave by saying he was leaving at season's end, don't care who you are you don't come out and say that when you haven't been given a concrete answer from the club. Plenty of coaches around the world have been in the same position yet they stayed professional about it, yet Poyet wanted to play the hard ass and it back fired on him, as I said before its not the 1st time he has done something like this.

We move on no need to dwell on the past

How did they do the same thing? One signed a contract the other was told he would get an answer on his future, don't let your hatred get in the way of reality.

Meli let his ego get the better of him? So you find it normal for a coach to say he is leaving at season's end when he wasn't given a formal answer by the club and a day before our biggest game? Thank god people like you don't run clubs......

I honestly don't see the big deal. When Valverde did the same with us yeah it was disappointing, but such is the profession...This has nothing to do with my "hatred" for AEK. If anything I feel sympathy for our former rivals. They (Aek, Pao) are shadows of the sort of clubs they once were, and I genuinely would like to see them get better soon.

Based on Meli being filthy stinking rich, based on aek's history, based on him buying the club for peanuts, based on all the Erxomaste talk, if I was an aek fan, I would not be satisfied or optimistic about the leadership of Tigri.

• Like it 2

Aek relative to the rest of the league, had a good season. But compare for yourself this bunch to aek teams under any other ownership.  It's not even close.